FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

On a clear night with a rising moon, peace and quiet reach a crescendo in parts of Yosemite Valley.

Sitting still, one can see, hear, and absorb the sense of adventure, joy, or solace as needed.

Just remember to be careful, and respect the wildness of the places you're visiting! Especially during the summer, when bears are most active.

Created on a Nikon D750 and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art; this image is a multi-frame panorama captured at 15 sec, f/2, & ISO 1600.

As friends here will note, I've been slowly progressing my style of astro-landscape photography thanks to much great feedback from others. I've struggled with making nightscapes too bright, treating them as regular landscapes, but I think this image in particular is a small milestone in my pursuit of "the look" that I'm going for. Thank you for viewing!

More of my recent nightscape / landscape work can be found at Astro-Landscapes.com and Photos.MatthewSaville.com

Oct 02, 2015 at 03:30 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

I think that is a sweet shot. I usually like the sky in color, but this is good.
The starry reflections are great.
I'd probably have focus stacked the near rocks, the oof ones distract.

David

Oct 02, 2015 at 03:37 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

dgdg wrote:
I think that is a sweet shot. I usually like the sky in color, but this is good.
The starry reflections are great.
I'd probably have focus stacked the near rocks, the oof ones distract.

David

Yeah, if the milky way had been there, I'd have probably opted for color, but the evenness of the stars made me ponder what it might look in B&W, and it worked. I could share the color version too if anybody is interested.

I thought of stacking focus to sharpen the foreground rocks, but I was already rushing to set up a timelapse of the scene, and 5-7 vertically oriented panorama pieces was taking up quite a bit of time to begin with.

Next time if I have a ~20mm lens that can hit f/2, I'll be able to eliminate the need for a panorama, and focus stacking will become more of an option. Thanks for the reminder!

=Matt=

Oct 02, 2015 at 03:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

Hey Matt,

Oh man... I was just about to upload a B&W star shot too, so it's funny with all the color star shots we both opt for B&W.

I like the night time feel of this, I think you have a very nice look in this. My only issue is the same one David noted about the OOF rocks. Focusing is such a pain at night, but definitely worth it. Of course, another plus about going wider like 14mm is that the DOF of the lens increases dramatically which really helps to be able to get a night shot all in one take. While the 35mm Sigma Art is a sweet lens, you would have been much better off throwing a 14mm Samyang on your camera... That lens is so inexpensive, even though I have the 14-24mm Nikon, I still have the 14mm Samyang. It's great for back up purposes and often (like last weekend) I was able to shoot at 14mm on both my D8xx's.

Anyway, nice work here other than those rocks.

Jim

Oct 02, 2015 at 04:16 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

JimFox wrote:
Hey Matt,

Oh man... I was just about to upload a B&W star shot too, so it's funny with all the color star shots we both opt for B&W.

I like the night time feel of this, I think you have a very nice look in this. My only issue is the same one David noted about the OOF rocks. Focusing is such a pain at night, but definitely worth it. Of course, another plus about going wider like 14mm is that the DOF of the lens increases dramatically which really helps to be able to get a night shot all in
...Show more

Hi Jim,

Yes, I had my 14mm with me, I should have got it out and checked what the framing was like. The last time I was at that exact spot at night though, I used the Tamron 15-30 2.8 at 15mm and it was a bit too wide for my tastes. So I figured I'd do a slightly tighter shot; but 35mm was just a bit too tight. 20-24mm would have been perfect.

Later that morning, I framed other single exposures at 24mm with my 24-120mm f/4 VR:

Oct 03, 2015 at 12:12 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

Hey Matt,

I am liking the color more than the B&W. The B&W of the sunrise is too dark for me. The color version has darkness in it, but there is still some detail in the background trees.

With the 14mm, if it is too wide, turn it vertical.

Jim

Oct 03, 2015 at 12:58 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

Matt,
The moonlight image is really neat, i often convert my night star images to B/W for my own enjoyment. I agree with others on the oof rock, however the rest of the image with the lighting etc is so interesting i can easily just go right past it and focus on the main event. Great job here I really enjoyed seeing this.
Regards,
Dean

Oct 03, 2015 at 07:53 AM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

Very nice, like the B&W. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:17 AM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

Love the first and last ones. Fine job.

Oct 03, 2015 at 10:23 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nightscape - Yosemite's Valley View by moonlight

JimFox wrote:
Hey Matt,

I am liking the color more than the B&W. The B&W of the sunrise is too dark for me. The color version has darkness in it, but there is still some detail in the background trees.

With the 14mm, if it is too wide, turn it vertical.

Jim

Usually if 14mm is too wide, I just switch my creative eye to a 4:5 ratio, (horizontally) then maybe a square ratio. (Especially since I've decided to make a 12x12 photo calendar each year!)

---------------------------------------------

DSC01 wrote:
Matt,
The moonlight image is really neat, i often convert my night star images to B/W for my own enjoyment. I agree with others on the oof rock, however the rest of the image with the lighting etc is so interesting i can easily just go right past it and focus on the main event. Great job here I really enjoyed seeing this.
Regards,
Dean

Thanks for the comments. I'll surely return to this spot again someday; obviously, and will keep this note in mind.

Bob Altic wrote:
Very nice, like the B&W. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Thanks for viewing!

IShootThings wrote:
Love the first and last ones. Fine job.

Thanks for viewing, I'm also a fan of those two more than the other, but maybe if I re-workd the B&W with clouds it'll look better...

Oct 03, 2015 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.