New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Suggestions for EF to M43 adapter

kymira

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for EF to M43 adapter

Hi,

I recently came into possession of a GH3 and would like to primarily use it for video work. Most of the shots I intend to do would not need auto focus or IS. I figure instead of buying a whole slew of Panasonic/Olympus lenses I can save $$$ and just use my current Canon lenses.

Currently I have:

-Sigma 18-35
-50mm 1.8
-85mm 1.8

Ive done a little bit of research and my choices are either

1) a strait up adapter keeping the 2x crop factor

or

2) a "speed booster" type adapter

But as much as Id like the extra stop of light and the wider crop on a Metabones speed booster, I dont have $700-800 (CAD) to drop on one right now. (Budget is about $200 CAD)

So as far as adapters go, do you guys have any suggestions? experiences or thoughts?

* I would prefer it to have aperture control though as I feel switching bodies might be cumbersome overtime.

edit. So far Im leaning towards these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Aperture-Thirds-Panasonic/dp/B005ODK53K

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JSSFZO?keywords=Fotasy%20ef%20m43&qid=1443810227&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Oct 02, 2015 at 01:04 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for EF to M43 adapter

I just got the cheap EOS to m4/3 adapters, but they don't have any aperture control on EOS lenses. I then use my m42, Nikon, etc. to EOS adapters.

You can stop the lenses down, pull them off the EOS body, and they stay stopped down, but this seems like a bad idea, so I'll probably keep an eye on this thread.

I have had good luck with photodiox OM to EOS so Id probably go that way.

18 isn't really wide on m4/3, but I keep thinking about getting a 14-xx zoom. They are well within your budget, and you'd have af, I think, with video.

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:43 AM
MAubrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for EF to M43 adapter

These adapters with built in apertures don't really work well because the aperture is in the wrong position. You're more likely to simply get more vignetting when you stop down the adapter.

You'd be better off either saving your money for an adapter with electronics in it (whether a speedbooster or not--the latter being $400 rather than $650) or simply picking up a native lens.

Metabones AF adapter: $400
Metabnes Speedbooster: $650

Kipon AF adapter $300 on ebay.

Edited on Oct 05, 2015 at 11:12 AM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:02 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for EF to M43 adapter

+1.

In my experience, when you stop down using a built in aperture-adapter you get a mix between stopping down and vignetting. The relative amount of this mix is dependent on the lens involved and "aperture" used, so it's hard to predict the exact results.

Samyang/Rokinon make some very reasonably priced lenses in m43 format.

Oct 05, 2015 at 11:10 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for EF to M43 adapter

Also a lot of Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses are dirt cheap.

Oct 05, 2015 at 06:13 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.