New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

ilikeglass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

Unless forum my search skills are off I don't see a single post here in the Canon forum re: the new Tamron 35m and 45mm Tamron SPF/1.8 Di VC lenses.

Here's an interesting review:

http://blog.krolop-gerst.com/technik/review-tamron-sp-35mm-45mm-f1-8-di-vc-usd-english/

Undoubtedly there are only a few lenses that are able to display what a 50 megapixel camera CAN display. The two new Tamron lenses definitely have joined the squad. Just look at those details in the eyes of both models! Wow! I would say that really does look like paradise for all the pixel nerds and tech freaks amongst us!

I use 5D II and III. My only concern is AF. I don't mind an f1.8 instead of f1.4, but I understand may not be acceptable for some.

Anyone else considering?

Oct 02, 2015 at 09:36 AM
myron lee
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

Lightweight, IS, and ultra-sharp. I have both the sigma 35 and 50, but IS and lightweight is very appealing to me. I am definitely go to look seriously at them when they go on sale. However, I wish the lens had a home focus calibration kit like the sigma does.

Oct 02, 2015 at 09:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

myron lee wrote:
..., I wish the lens had a home focus calibration kit like the sigma does.

You can still use the camera AFMA.

Oct 02, 2015 at 10:05 AM
streaml1ne

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I had this preordered but ended up cancelling for money reasons. I do want to pick this lens up eventually, so far the reviews I've seen say it's a good lens. Dustin Abbott has a video review up as well that is positive about the lens.

Oct 02, 2015 at 10:09 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I have one on order to be delivered Tuesday. Looking forward to it, the VC will be a nice for video and low light slower shutters. Anxious to see how well if focuses on the 7D II, hopefully quietly for video.

Oct 02, 2015 at 10:41 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I hear you.
I have the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8. It is probably the best wide and fast zoom out there for Canon mount. Yet, other than Klaus singing its praises, everything is quiet. I had been wanting a fast wide zoom without coma for a while. Still clutching my samyang 14mm for sentimental reasons.

Oct 02, 2015 at 11:43 AM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

There has been a thread on the Tamron 35/1.8 (and, by extension, its 45mm sibling). You may find some information there:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1384098/0

Edited by Guest on Oct 03, 2015 at 12:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2015 at 04:18 PM
myron lee
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

jcolwell wrote:
You can still use the camera AFMA.

Yes I can use the single point AFMA on my camera. However the sigma dock allows for 4 distance points for focus calibration. For any ultra sharp lens wide open, having 4 calibration points is noticeably superior. Both my sigmas are ultra sharp through the focal range. Before the sigma arts, I had to go through 5 50mm prime lens before I got a keeper. I went through 2 on my 35mm. With a sigma dock, I didn't have to find a perfect copy,

Oct 03, 2015 at 06:55 AM
dclark2171

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

Anyone using the new Tamron yet?

Oct 09, 2015 at 01:49 PM
ilikeglass
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

svassh wrote:
I have one on order to be delivered Tuesday. Looking forward to it, the VC will be a nice for video and low light slower shutters. Anxious to see how well if focuses on the 7D II, hopefully quietly for video.

Were you able to test the lens?

Oct 09, 2015 at 03:35 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

ilikeglass wrote:
Were you able to test the lens?

Nope delivery delayed supposed to be here tomorrow.

Oct 09, 2015 at 03:45 PM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

Waiting for the results eagerly. Looks like these lenses (35 & 45) are going to be a big hit, similar to 24-70.

Oct 10, 2015 at 05:27 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I've definitely got my eye on the 45mm.

More reviews have been coming thru recently - Dustin Abbott's are the best so far from my perspective:

http://dustinabbott.net/2015/10/tamron-sp-35mm-f1-8-di-vc-usd-review/
http://dustinabbott.net/2015/10/tamron-sp-45mm-f1-8-vc-usd-review/

And some new samples here:
http://www.lenstip.com/2157-news-Tamron_SP_35_mm_f_1.8_and_45_mm_f_1.8_sample_images.html

A guy on dpreview got the 45 earlier this week for his 6D. The first copy had consistently bad focusing with the outer points (as in OOF nearly 100% of the time), but he exchanged it for another copy which is consistently good with all points. I've seen one other hands-on type review that mentioned trouble with the outer points, so that may be something to watch out for.

What I'd really like to see next is a review from Bryan at TDP..

Oct 10, 2015 at 06:14 AM

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

If Lenstip has published the sample photos, it means the review is imminent. I hope the Photozone chimes in soon, and maybe even DPReview.

Oct 10, 2015 at 06:34 AM
ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I follow this photographers portrait work on Flickr and he has both the new 35 and 45 and the pictures look amazing from it. I know his work has post process to it so that has been taken into consideration, but so far these look like they might be worth paying attention to. Still waiting on an official review

Anastasia by Maxim Guselnikov, on Flickr

Surrounded by Maxim Guselnikov, on Flickr

Irina - Color Edit by Maxim Guselnikov, on Flickr

Irina by Maxim Guselnikov, on Flickr

Oct 10, 2015 at 08:48 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

ogerisg321 wrote:
I follow this photographers portrait work on Flickr and he has both the new 35 and 45 and the pictures look amazing from it. I know his work has post process to it so that has been taken into consideration, but so far these look like they might be worth paying attention to. Still waiting on an official review

Wow. That is excellent work.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM
ilikeglass
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I could use a 35mm. I owned the Sigma ART at one time, but got a mediocre copy so returned it after a few weeks. I also had the Samyang 35mm. I sold that because it didn't earn it's keep, even at its modest price, due to lack of AF.

I'm just waiting for B&H to reopen ordering. It should arrive on Tuesday.

Edit: Ordered and in stock.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I got it last nite just took some random shots around the house last nite inside and outside as well as a couple this AM. All are SOC from the 1D IV both JPG and RAW posted here for anyone interested. You should be able to view and download from here http://1drv.ms/1Ouut2G.

My first impressions, decently sharp at 1.8 may need some MFA. Sharp like any other 1.4 lens stopped down. I really like the VC was able to get some clean shots in the dark at 1/4 shutter speed. The focus motor a little too buzzy for my liking reminds be a bit of the nifty fifty maybe not quite that bad. I don't know how well it will work for AI Servo high speed as the focus seems a little slow to me so far. But thats probably not a typical use for this FL anyway. Still need to try some video on the 7D II.

Please no comparisons against the previous posters examples

Oct 11, 2015 at 09:43 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

Bryan at TDP now has a page for the Tamron 45mm with test chart shots in the "Image Quality" section, so we can compare sharpness, CA etc with other lenses:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-45mm-f-1.8-Di-VC-USD-Lens.aspx

No sign of anything for the 35mm yet.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tamron SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC

I have owned the 45 for about 10 days and used it mounted to my gripped 5D MKIII at a wedding this weekend. I used it most at the reception/meal which was outdoors under a pavilion in the evening. This lens replaced my Sigma 35 1.4 which I would have used in this circumstance. Although the Sigma was very sharp I found too many OOF shots (which I attributed to user error I thought). I would call the AF on the Tamron "deliberate". Not real fast but my keeper rate went up tremendously. It just seems to focus. I'm guessing that the slower speed may be affected by the long throw of the lens. It focuses close enough that I did not need a macro lens at this wedding.
The VC is barely negligible, meaning that it does not "leap" into action like some of the other Tamron lenses I've owned. The weight and build seems right, I like the focal length and the lens just seems to do what it is supposed to. I may get the 35 also.
By the way, the AFMA was suggested by Focal to be +5 and also according to Focal focus repeat ability was very high.

Oct 13, 2015 at 01:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.