Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Banff By The Stars

SpenceChin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Banff By The Stars

Took this photo just before sunrise at Vermilion Lakes in Alberta. This is my first Fred Miranda post and my first attempt at star photography.

Fujifilm X-E2 and Rokinon 12mm 1:2 lens
ISO 3200, f/ 2.0, 17 sec. Edited in Lightroom

Open to any and all tips and advice! Hope you enjoy!

Oct 02, 2015 at 04:07 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Banff By The Stars

Hi Spencer,

Welcome to FM Landscape!

Overall an appealing star shot, and nice work with it being your first attempt at it. I do have a couple of thoughts, suggestions.

If you notice, there is a lot of light fall off from the center of the shot to the edges, one of the problems of shooting wide open is lenses will end up having light fall off where the edges are darker than the middle. That's one of the reasons why even with my f2.8 lenses, I try to shoot at f4 instead. Seeing as your shutter speed was 17 secs, I would have increased that to 30 secs and closed down on your aperture a bit more. Besides less light fall off, you get a bit more DOF. Sure if you zoom in to 100% you will see a little star movement compared to what would be seen at 17 secs, but it's an acceptable amount, and not really visible unless one looks for it. Now some people that will bother, but personally it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, a great first start here, keep it up!

Jim

Oct 02, 2015 at 03:16 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Banff By The Stars

Wow, this is a gorgeous image! Truly a fantastic scene to capture, and I'm also admiring your setup, the Fuji and the Rokinon...

Along the lines of what Jim Fox said, I do find myself wishing there had been a little bit more "data" captured to help post-production look a little bit better.

I honestly don't mind the vignetting as much, I feel it helps draw attention towards the center of the frame. However like Jim mentioned, I too would ask, did you also make a 30 sec exposure? What about an ISO 6400 exposure? I think a brighter original exposure would have allowed you to darken it back down in post-production, creating less actual noise even despite a higher ISO. I'm especially noticing some color patterning from blue to purple in the sky on the middle-left, that is sometimes indicative of post-production being used to brighten a photo.

Overall though, job well done. Just keep experimenting at star / nightscape / astro-landscape photography! That's the beauty of digital; we can experiment with exposures, focusing, and post-production all relatively freely, and master the craft to at least some degree almost "overnight". Pun intended?

=Matt=

Oct 02, 2015 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.