Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              26       27       end

Archive 2015 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-300mm-pro-lens-to-ship-in-spring/

Oct 01, 2015 at 10:11 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Glad I got my Canon 500mm now, as the Olympus wouldn't be there before eagle season, if this rumor is correct.

If the price is indeed what they say it's going to be, it's reasonable for a 600mm f/4 equivalent. I expected it to be closer to $3,000.

I'll try it when it's launched, but I have my doubts that it's going to be good enough for bird photography under challenging light unless the next E-M1 has an improved sensor and killer continuous AF.

Here's hoping, though, as I would save a lot of money and backache if I could switch fully to MFT from Canon for this type of shooting.

Oct 01, 2015 at 11:04 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

I don't think Olympus will price the 300/4 PRO lens more than $2,500. But you are right about the current Olympus sensor not being good enough for BIF or fast-action sports. Hopefully the next iteration of the E-M1 will have a sensor not unlike the Sony A7R II in terms of its PDAF capability. Sony has shown that it can be done with a mirrorless camera, and Olympus is in collaboration with Sony. Sony has adopted Olympus' 5-axis IBIS, so they should be sharing their PDAF sensor technology with Olympus.

I am sure this rumor will cause Panasonic to announce the release of their Leica 100-400 lens soon!

johnvanr wrote:
Glad I got my Canon 500mm now, as the Olympus wouldn't be there before eagle season, if this rumor is correct.

If the price is indeed what they say it's going to be, it's reasonable for a 600mm f/4 equivalent. I expected it to be closer to $3,000.

I'll try it when it's launched, but I have my doubts that it's going to be good enough for bird photography under challenging light unless the next E-M1 has an improved sensor and killer continuous AF.

Here's hoping, though, as I would save a lot of money and backache if I could switch fully
...Show more

Oct 01, 2015 at 11:27 AM
taran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

bobbytan wrote:
Sony has adopted Olympus' 5-axis IBIS, so they should be sharing their PDAF sensor technology with Olympus.

It's a little more complicated than that due to the fact Olympus doesn't really have anything Sony needs. There has never been any "technology sharing" between the two companies. That was merely a marketing ruse and a way to mollify investors after an Olympus stock free fall two years ago. Sony, by investing a few sheckels in Olympus, and issuing a bogus press release, ensured they are the exclusive supplier of Olympus's endoscope sensors as long as Olympus produces them.

In addition, because of this investment at a critical time, and because Sony is the exclusive supplier of sensors to Olympus, Olympus cannot enforce any of its copyrights against Sony (it means the death of the company). In other words, Sony gets to copy any technology Olympus develops that's interesting, which it did, immediately, with 5 axis stabilization.

Just a rumor I'm spreading. Pay no attention.

Oct 01, 2015 at 11:46 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

The price needs to be sub $2,000. It's one thing to price FF equivalent fields of view when dealing with wide to short telephoto, as with the smaller sensor the designs are similarly complex to the FF equivalent lens. However, a 300/4 is a 300/4. it's needs to be priced like a 300/4. I'm sure it will be excellent, but Nikon's new 300/4VR with some very complex optical design is under $2K. It's really hard to justify a price higher than that, especially without optical stabilization.

Oct 01, 2015 at 12:41 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Jman13 wrote:
The price needs to be sub $2,000. It's one thing to price FF equivalent fields of view when dealing with wide to short telephoto, as with the smaller sensor the designs are similarly complex to the FF equivalent lens. However, a 300/4 is a 300/4. it's needs to be priced like a 300/4. I'm sure it will be excellent, but Nikon's new 300/4VR with some very complex optical design is under $2K. It's really hard to justify a price higher than that, especially without optical stabilization.

I hope you're right, although the rumor mill also had it a while back that the lens would have stabilization.

Oct 01, 2015 at 12:50 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

You are correct. Olympus had said that the delay in the release of this lens was due to the fact that they wanted to include OIS into this lens. Presumably for a long lens like this OIS would be more effective than IBIS, although the reason they gave was to satisfy Panasonic shooters who do not have IBIS in their cameras.

johnvanr wrote:
I hope you're right, although the rumor mill also had it a while back that the lens would have stabilization.

Oct 01, 2015 at 12:57 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

I thought the OIS rumor was debunked already?

Regardless, a 300/4 is a 300/4 and this looks to be too pricey IMO, 600 FOV or not.

I'm pretty much set on the 100-400PL anyway, but I also want to see this succeed.

Oct 01, 2015 at 03:22 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

The PL 100-400 is a slow lens - so AF may not be as good/quick. And it's not going to be inexpensive lens either.

cputeq wrote:
I thought the OIS rumor was debunked already?

Regardless, a 300/4 is a 300/4 and this looks to be too pricey IMO, 600 FOV or not.

I'm pretty much set on the 100-400PL anyway, but I also want to see this succeed.

Oct 01, 2015 at 04:38 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Simply looking at a lens for it's range and aperture and saying something would be too expensive in that range is slightly wrong IMO.
One has to take quality in to account, optical and build quality, glass quality, types of glass etc. The Oly 75mm F1.8 is really expensive for a "near 85mm F1.8" lens but then again there is no 85mm (or there about) lens on the market that comes close to it in terms of picture quality, at least not wide open.

If the quality is excellent, it will be worth the price around 2k I am sure, I think it's time to let go of the mentality "it's m43 and thus it MUST be cheaper, otherwise something is wrong".

Paying for smaller and lighter is something that many people have done for long and yet m43 has never really been accepted in to this camp for some reason.

Oct 02, 2015 at 12:06 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Absolutely! People are also saying the Nocticron at $1,600 is overpriced. I've owned both versions of the Canon 85/1.2L ... and although I liked the lens when I had it, the Nocticron IMO is 10x better than the 85L ... and I would buy it even if it's priced higher than the 85L.

But the Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 for $1,200 ... now that is a very sweet deal!

Wilbus wrote:
Simply looking at a lens for it's range and aperture and saying something would be too expensive in that range is slightly wrong IMO.
One has to take quality in to account, optical and build quality, glass quality, types of glass etc. The Oly 75mm F1.8 is really expensive for a "near 85mm F1.8" lens but then again there is no 85mm (or there about) lens on the market that comes close to it in terms of picture quality, at least not wide open.

If the quality is excellent, it will be worth the price around 2k I am sure,
...Show more

Oct 02, 2015 at 12:49 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

bobbytan wrote:
The PL 100-400 is a slow lens - so AF may not be as good/quick. And it's not going to be inexpensive lens either.

True it's slower but AF speed remains to be seen. I have a feeling it'll do fine on Panasonic bodies (GX8 focuses great in all sorts of light), but hopefully Oly bodies will be okay too.

Probably won't be cheap either, especially with the Leica branding, but more flexible.

Still I expected the Oly lens to come in at or below $1500, which I guess is still possible since sometimes prices are radically different between regions.

Oct 02, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Iliang

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Jman13 wrote:

I agree. The Canon and Nikon (non-fresnel version) 300 F4 are currently ~$1300 and the Pentax is ~$900. The Olympus with probably end up with similar size and number of optical elements. If the Olympus ends up at the rumored $1800 ~ 2200 price range, well, a brand new Nikon D7100 + 200-500 F5.6 will run ~$2200...

Oct 02, 2015 at 07:34 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

cputeq wrote:
True it's slower but AF speed remains to be seen. I have a feeling it'll do fine on Panasonic bodies (GX8 focuses great in all sorts of light), but hopefully Oly bodies will be okay too.

Probably won't be cheap either, especially with the Leica branding, but more flexible.

Still I expected the Oly lens to come in at or below $1500, which I guess is still possible since sometimes prices are radically different between regions.

I don't worry so much about the AF speed, but about the fact that a slower lens means I might need to jack up my ISOs and that means, with the current crop of MFT sensors, I'm going to get noise in the sky pretty quickly and noise on the bird a little bit later.

I actually think both these lenses will be great quality-wise, with their PRO and Leica tags, but it's the sensors and continuous AF that need to improve if MFT is to become a BIF system in all kinds of weather and light.

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:04 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

johnvanr wrote:
I don't worry so much about the AF speed, but about the fact that a slower lens means I might need to jack up my ISOs and that means, with the current crop of MFT sensors, I'm going to get noise in the sky pretty quickly and noise on the bird a little bit later.

I actually think both these lenses will be great quality-wise, with their PRO and Leica tags, but it's the sensors and continuous AF that need to improve if MFT is to become a BIF system in all kinds of weather and light.

Yeah true, f/6.7 isn't going to win any awards Honestly I don't see the 100-400 being a spectacular BIF lens. I see it more as a landscape / Airshow / Zoo / flower(?) / larger wildlife lens, where the aperture isn't a big concern and you can just depend on OIS a bit more. That's fine for me but maybe a show stopper for BIF fans.

I'm just excited it has the Leica branding, and I'm really hoping the render style is like the other Leica lenses (because they're awesome). That's probably another reason why I will buy it over the olympus - Olympus lenses are sharp but they all seem to render very neutrally.

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:13 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

It depends on what you shoot, I guess. For stationary or slow-moving subjects, a slow lens may be fine. If you are shooting BIF, a slow lens with slow AF is not going to cut it, especially in low light. Bokeh and background blur quality is also a consideration. It's all about trade-offs and what works for you or gives you the best bang for the buck. I am so glad we have the option of a fast prime lens ... or a slower zoom lens. And I believe either lens will deliver above-par quality. Frankly I have not decided which one to get but I am currently leaning towards the Olympus.

johnvanr wrote:

Oct 02, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Oct. 10, so where is it?

The Daily Camera News figures it will not be available until next Spring around $2,000US.

B&H does not even know the price yet.

Oct 10, 2015 at 02:39 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

taran wrote:
It's a little more complicated than that due to the fact Olympus doesn't really have anything Sony needs. There has never been any "technology sharing" between the two companies. That was merely a marketing ruse and a way to mollify investors after an Olympus stock free fall two years ago. Sony, by investing a few sheckels in Olympus, and issuing a bogus press release, ensured they are the exclusive supplier of Olympus's endoscope sensors as long as Olympus produces them.

In addition, because of this investment at a critical time, and because Sony is the exclusive supplier of sensors to Olympus,
...Show more

Olympus uses both Sony and Panasonic sensors, the E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor. So no, Sony doesn't have that much of a grip on Olympus

Oct 10, 2015 at 08:01 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

Iliang wrote:
I agree. The Canon and Nikon (non-fresnel version) 300 F4 are currently ~$1300 and the Pentax is ~$900. The Olympus with probably end up with similar size and number of optical elements. If the Olympus ends up at the rumored $1800 ~ 2200 price range, well, a brand new Nikon D7100 + 200-500 F5.6 will run ~$2200...

The Canon and Nikon 300/4's are respectively rather old and positively ancient, hence the $1300 and $950 pricing (Nikon's already replaced the 300/4D with the PF lens, which is 2k) and the Canon is due for replacement. Pentax's 300 is both slow focusing and a result of Ricoh resetting the pricing to offset the Hoya price leap of doom (Pentax lens prices pretty much doubled overnight during the Hoya years, Ricoh dropped them back down to early Hoya levels).

Oct 10, 2015 at 08:07 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Olympus 300/4 PRO lens to ship in Spring ... Yes!

mawz wrote:
[Olympus uses both Sony and Panasonic sensors, the E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor. So no, Sony doesn't have that much of a grip on Olympus

There is no such thing as a Panasonic sensor, they sold out to Tower Jazz.

Oct 11, 2015 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.