New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · M4/3 Flash?

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M4/3 Flash?

I thought I would be able to use any flash on my GH1, as long as I didn't mind manual and maybe full power.

My Canon 540EZ would be great for now, it has swivel and bounce. But I have tried taping contacts, and it still doesn't work.

Is there any way to get this or other non-dedicated flashes to work? Or do I have to buy a m4/3 flash? Also concerned about too high voltage damaging the camera.

Any suggestions? Would a hot shoe to pc cord help?

Sep 30, 2015 at 08:06 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M4/3 Flash?

AmbientMike wrote:
I thought I would be able to use any flash on my GH1, as long as I didn't mind manual and maybe full power.

My Canon 540EZ would be great for now, it has swivel and bounce. But I have tried taping contacts, and it still doesn't work.

Is there any way to get this or other non-dedicated flashes to work? Or do I have to buy a m4/3 flash? Also concerned about too high voltage damaging the camera.

Any suggestions? Would a hot shoe to pc cord help?

any modern TTL flash should work in non-dedicated mode, they will be low-voltage flashes (all EZ and EX flashes are low voltage). More than likely the issue is the 540EZ rather than the GH1, flashes of the 540EZ's era were often a little picky about their triggering polarity.

I've always used older Nikon flashes myself, normally an SB-24 or SB-26.

Oct 01, 2015 at 06:11 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M4/3 Flash?

What Mawz said.

I use Yongnuou 560-EXIII (manual flashes) just fine on practically any camera they've touched (GX8, EM5, D800, etc). Bonus is that they're dirt cheap

Can't say I've ever tried taping a TTL flash, though I've read about it several times.

Oct 01, 2015 at 03:27 PM
tobycat2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M4/3 Flash?

I second the yongnuo 560ex iii. Great flash and can be used with other flashes very well (I've even used it in slave mode with my Nikon sb-800 commanding).

Oct 01, 2015 at 10:37 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M4/3 Flash?

No kidding, so the flash is likely the problem? It doesn't sound like anything is going to blow if I try my 380 EX, which is similar vintage to the Nikon SB-24 &26, so maybe I'll start there. If I can use a cord, that would work.

Do the Nikon SB have different power levels? Fairly inexpensive and look good. The 380 EX doesn’t, afaik. Does the YN have any auto modes?

Oct 02, 2015 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.