Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Experience with DNP DS-40 (and Mac) event printer?

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience with DNP DS-40 (and Mac) event printer?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or other currently available dye sub printers that do 4x6 and 5x7 prints. Looking for feedback on reliability, ease of loading for assistants, specific issues to be aware of, quality / speed etc...

The bit of info I am finding online is from like 2011.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:15 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience with DNP DS-40 (and Mac) event printer?

I also run a photobooth rental service in Germany and have 5 DS-40s. Before I used Sony 150s, which were built like a tank and heavy like a tank...
During Photokina there was a trade-in offered for the Sony printers, so I switched.

As I ship the printers very often, they get dropped and abused a lot. The outer surface gets scratched very easily and this plastic thing to catch the prints breaks very easy.

There´s one very important thing: Always empty the scratch box before shipping or transport. These little paper cuts jam the printer up very easily.

Loading the media is easy and foolproof. The 5x7 is quite expensive so I normally use only 4x6. The DS-40 can print glossy and matte from the same media kit, but as matte takes 25% longer, I only print glossy. The paper is heavier and feels more "valuable" than the paper used in the rx1, this is why I chose the DS-40.

As far as I know, the DS-40 is "End of life" now, but as long as the media is available, I wouldn´t care. You can get them quite cheap on ebay nowadays, too. Last week two DS40 were sold on ebay (Germany) for less then 300€ each. I should have gotten a sixth one for this price...

Looking back, I´m not totally satisfied, they seem to break easier than the old Sonys, but I assume this happens with all printers.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience with DNP DS-40 (and Mac) event printer?

Thanks for the feedback - went ahead and purchased a refurbished DS-40 at ImagingSpectrum

Sep 29, 2015 at 09:57 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience with DNP DS-40 (and Mac) event printer?

One other question... Any thoughts on the FotoClub padded carrying bag vs the rolling bag elsewhere?

http://www.fotoclubinc.com/printer-carrying-padded-case.aspx?lineitemid=d9843a4a-e0c7-4c01-9737-53274fcc7b0f

http://www.eventprinters.com/printer-special-price-p-206.html

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:20 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience with DNP DS-40 (and Mac) event printer?

I work for a photo booth company and we've been using the DNP DS40 for about 3 years (we now have three). We use it with a PC though. The DS40 takes about 10-15 seconds to print out a 4x6. Big plus that each roll yields 400 prints! Also, the printer can make a 2 inch cut to split a 4x6 print into two 2x6 strips.

Its been reliable, we've never had one break. Once in a great while, we get a paper jam but thats from someone placing the printer too close to the chute which causes the print to not fully leave the printer and makes a jam.

We average about 5 events a month with about 300-500 prints. Easy to refill the paper, may want to be a little careful about refilling the ink ribbon. It's very vulnerable and could break if you're not careful. Quality is great, and doesn't need extra sharpening.

We used to use Sony UPCX1 which took double the amount of time, 200 prints per roll, a tiny bit harder to refill, and I remember running into more problems than the DNP.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:43 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.