FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Bees in a Wallflower Series 1

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bees in a Wallflower Series 1

I had a couple of hours to shoot this past Sunday and I've really wanted to get some images of critters feeding in the Wallflowers that we have in the front yard. Unfortunately all of the insects are in the back yard, where they are feeding mostly on mint. So I cut a Wallflower, put it in a glass of water to keep it from wilting, and used gaffers tape to secure the glass and flower to a fence post. It didn't take long for the bumblebees to start feeding once I injected the flower with some artificial nectar (a tablespoon of butterfly nectar mix in some 1:1 sugar syrup). The bumblebees know me, and they go looking for the sweet stuff when they see me in the garden. But the Sweat Bee was a total surprise.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Video of the studio

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/60, ISO 200) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with 37mm of extension + a diffused MT-24EX (flash head "A" set as the key and "B" as the fill). These are single, uncropped, frames taken hand held.

This first frame has been stuck in my head for about two years, and is currently getting a lot of attention on Flickr after making it into Explore.

Bees in a Wallflower Series 1-2 by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Did not expect to see this Sweat Bee, and it didn't care how close I got to it and even put up with me turning the flower to get the framing that I wanted.

Bees in a Wallflower Series 1-1 by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Bees in a Wallflower Series 1-3 by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sep 29, 2015 at 09:45 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.