New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Stripes in the Negative.

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stripes in the Negative.

Sep 29, 2015 at 09:10 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stripes in the Negative.

Yup, happens sometimes. 'specially when the photog plans it that way.

I really like the left half of the composition. I wish you would have done more with that.

TFS!

Sep 29, 2015 at 09:26 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stripes in the Negative.

Thanks....

Sep 29, 2015 at 09:44 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stripes in the Negative.

Allen,

You got a 'close, but no cigar' shot. The scene may have potential, but I'm not feeling the composition and framing with this one. All the extra lines hurt my eyes and take away from the main subjects.

Craig

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stripes in the Negative.

Hey Boingy hint the lines are the subject.

The lines on the woman in whites dress and the negative of that on the poster.

Sep 29, 2015 at 01:18 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stripes in the Negative.

I see that. What I meant by the extra lines are the floor, glass panels, bus stop poles, etc. It's just too busy that distracts from the obvious juxtaposition of the poster and woman's attire. If the mannequin had striped clothing, the bus stop was just one solid color (that wasn't see through) and the other woman was not present it could have been a nice trio with the right composition.

Sep 29, 2015 at 03:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stripes in the Negative.

eh, too disconnected.

Sep 29, 2015 at 05:11 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stripes in the Negative.

Thanks but I like the pattern of the concrete being mimicked in the glass on the bus stop. My neg, and I agree with you about it would be better with 3, is the woman on the poster but she is there and I can live with that. I feel the implied line created by the mannequin's gaze and then the line that leads right to the lady in the striped dress that mimics the stripes in the poster moves you past the lady in the poster.

Sep 29, 2015 at 05:13 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stripes in the Negative.

I didn't actually notice the stripes on the lady's dress until you mentioned it. Had you not mentioned strips in the title, I would have actually thought this one was about the mannequin and the poster lady facing each other, along with the the two ladies on the bench facing each other. Maybe because of how frequently you use posters and things to mimic actual people in your photos.

--David

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:28 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stripes in the Negative.

Thanks David. I know I enjoy images that reveal themselves more slowly and the more I look the more I see so i do try to incorporate those elements in my work to. I tend to get bored with the obvious in both my work and when I look at the work of others. I find work that has me coming back and finding more in it to have staying power. Not saying that this fall into that category but the lines/stripes were why I took the image. The rest is just bonus. I also tend to see frames in frames, layer of transparency, repeating pattern and yes as you pointed out, the pairs.
Allen

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:40 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stripes in the Negative.

I agree that is fun to look back at an image (especially your own) and finding more in it. I find that sometimes you just get lucky how everythiing just connects beyond what you saw in the VF and other times when you feel that the scene/subject is favorable, you get nothing but a missed shot because either you were too slow or it wasn't composed well. I think that's part of the fun of street photography.

Sep 30, 2015 at 01:47 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stripes in the Negative.

For some reason this shot made me think about one I took last year.

Sep 30, 2015 at 01:49 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stripes in the Negative.

I like the stripes on the chairs and umbrella and the primary triadic color scheme. Also the pattern on his shirt is a nice contrast to the stripes and the checkered belt.

Sep 30, 2015 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.