New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

DejanS
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

Hi all,

Just had an interesting experience with my Tokina lens. I have had my Nikon compatible Tokina for approximately 4 years. Last year, a screw came loose attaching my lens hood. Minus the loose lens hood and the sound of a loose screw, it worked perfectly on my D700's, D3s, and D810. This afternoon, I found a local camera repair shop that could service the lens in an hour (ie repair the loose screws).

I dropped off the lens, went to pick my son up from school, then returned to the repair shop to pick up the lens. The lens was attached to various Nikon bodies, and the was no AF. The LCD on top of the cameras read "0" in the aperture setting...meaning the lens is not recognized.

This new problem suggests the repair technician missed a lens connection, thus, lens & dslr are not communicating. Anyone experience this? And I am tempted to return the lens to the repair shop for further investigating for poor workmanship.

Any comments or further suggestions? Thanks!

Dejan

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

A good place to start might be to go back and asked if they missed a screw or some other connection.

Sep 30, 2015 at 09:40 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

AmbientMike wrote:
A good place to start might be to go back and asked if they missed a screw or some other connection.

I did. Based on what the tech said, he did not have to disassemble the entire body and could not have disconnected something. I have my doubts about that. At this point, I may just buy another Tokina.

Dejan

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

You might take a look at the recent Tokina repair prices thread. Not sure what you can do with the original shop, but this looks less expensive than a new one

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1389546

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

AmbientMike wrote:
You might take a look at the recent Tokina repair prices thread. Not sure what you can do with the original shop, but this looks less expensive than a new one

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1389546

Thanks...5 weeks is too much for me to handle for a repair, and which may potentially cost at least 1/2 the price for a new lens. Hoping for a DIY solution. ;-)

Sep 30, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

DejanS wrote:
I did. Based on what the tech said, he did not have to disassemble the entire body and could not have disconnected something. I have my doubts about that. At this point, I may just buy another Tokina.

Dejan

Dejan. If you can sell off your current Tokina as-is and then add the money you are going to spend on a new one then I'd advise buying the Tamron 15-30/2.8 instead. Fantastic lens and far better flare control as well as VC, though it's larger and heavier. I have them both (the Tokina virtually untouched and back in it's box for sale - though I think it's a great value for money lens).

Some samples in my Top 15 tab below (the Iceland & Abu Dhabi shots).

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:28 PM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

Frogfish wrote:
Dejan. If you can sell off your current Tokina as-is and then add the money you are going to spend on a new one then I'd advise buying the Tamron 15-30/2.8 instead. Fantastic lens and far better flare control as well as VC, though it's larger and heavier. I have them both (the Tokina virtually untouched and back in it's box for sale - though I think it's a great value for money lens).

Some samples in my Top 15 tab below (the Iceland & Abu Dhabi shots).

Know what? I just read a few reviews on the Tamron, and am going to take a very serious look into it! Thanks soo much for the heads up.

Dejan

Oct 01, 2015 at 02:46 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

DejanS wrote:
Know what? I just read a few reviews on the Tamron, and am going to take a very serious look into it! Thanks soo much for the heads up.

Dejan

You may have seen them but :

Dustin Abbott (5 part review) : http://dustinabbott.net/2015/04/three-way-shootout-part-1-the-lenses/

A thread I started here on FM : https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1374188/0?keyword=Tamron,15-30#13090762

Most of these shots from Iceland were taken with the Tamron 15-30/2.8 (the others mostly Zeiss 100/2) : www.frogfish.smugmug.com/Iceland-June-2015-/Iceland-June-2015/i-SR4XdSP

Matt Granger :

Oct 01, 2015 at 06:05 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 Problems

Frogfish wrote:
You may have seen them but :

Dustin Abbott (5 part review) : http://dustinabbott.net/2015/04/three-way-shootout-part-1-the-lenses/

A thread I started here on FM : https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1374188/0?keyword=Tamron,15-30#13090762

Most of these shots from Iceland were taken with the Tamron 15-30/2.8 (the others mostly Zeiss 100/2) : www.frogfish.smugmug.com/Iceland-June-2015-/Iceland-June-2015/i-SR4XdSP

Matt Granger :

I'm pretty much sold on the Tamron. I shoot professionally a lot of sports photography, especially bike racing, and have been providing more landscape content. Having weather sealing is one of the criteria for a lense as well as glass / image quality. I'm pretty much sold on this and will be placing an order after I receive a few of my invoices paid.

Oct 01, 2015 at 06:36 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.