Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

pontmercy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

and so glad I did. In the past, I was a name-brand, pro-only gear snob. But I'm not making the $1200-2000 day rates I made back in 2003 anymore on photography (all my clients want websites these days, their iPhones take good enough photos for them! ).

I picked up a grip for my Nikon Df. The NEEWER version cost me $23 on eBay. It is exactly, bit for bit, the same as the Vello a fellow Df owner has that cost him $75 at BH Photo. Identical! and actually nicely made, at that.

I also got a set of flash triggers for $12. The last time I got a set of these for my studio in the 2000s the least expensive was $250!. They work great and use rechargeables.

A NEEWER flash stand bracket to hold a speed light and umbrella with angle control for $9, a NEEWER 30" grip style 5-in-1 reflector for $12 (lastolite costs $80) and another small flash bracket adapter that goes on my tripod in case I want to do a flash stand on the go, $2.32.

I think all in all it was a great buy for all of it... and at these prices... if they break, I can afford new ones!

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:29 PM
architect7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

Just don't buy the Neewer gimbal, it is a piece of garbage not worth even the $66 they sell for on Amazon.

But yes, I've learned that 3rd party is the way to go for most hobbyists and even many pros for Nikon bodies. ~$40 for my DSTE grip for the D810 and it looks/works like the OEM piece but 9x less expensive. IMHO DSTE actually does a better job at the grippy surface than Nikon, love it!

Sep 28, 2015 at 07:11 PM
duronboy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

Are the triggers the ones like these?

After spending probably $800+ on a bunch of Radio Popper garbage and having them stop working, I bought a set of those neewer triggers in an emergency. Ended up working fine. Got used to shooting and flashing in 100% manual and I've been using them ever since. The range is seriously lacking and sometimes they fire spontaneously. I really need to find something better, though.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

duronboy wrote:
.... I really need to find something better, though.

The Canon 600EX-RT and Yongnuo YN-E3-RT work very well together.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:28 AM
duronboy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

I never upgraded to the 600EX, I'm still using 580 EX II and 550EX flashes. It is interesting that the advertised range on that Yongnuo transmitter is greater than Canon's own. The range is actually fairly good on the Neewer, but only line-of-sight. As soon as I get just one tiny person in the way the reliability tanks when I'm using them to trigger a backlight that's 50 feet away. Otherwise it works at distances greater than 300 feet.

Oct 14, 2015 at 02:08 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Got some great, cheap NEEWER gear today...

I own a bunch of Neewer softboxes and they work great and were dirt cheap. Not for all day pro use but good enough for weekend warriors.

Oct 19, 2015 at 03:40 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.