New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Playing with split tone

mxwizard1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Playing with split tone

Opinions on processing and cropping welcome...Have never used split toning.

A day on the pier.

Sep 28, 2015 at 04:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Playing with split tone

This is a bit unusual.
I am used to thinking of, applying split toning along shadow/highlight dimensions.
In this image the split appears to be vertically oriented in the image, with a different tone at the supporting girder and below. Is that how you applied it?

Impression: First the crop. I think the image might be stronger if you crop from the right between the V of the diagonal supports lower right. This makes one support point to the man above. It roughly squares the image which already has a play of recurrent triangles and squares within it, working the theme a bit more.

Then the toning. In this image, however it was applied, it seems to separate the image into top and bottom rather than leaving a more integrated feel. Choice of tone is a matter of taste of course. If had to choose, I'd go with the sepia and reduce the saturation.Or BW. Alternatively, you could play with some blue/sepia tonal mix reflecting the old structure and water (below)

Scott

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:31 PM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Playing with split tone

Thanks Scott. Yes I did seem to cut the image in half...I get going somewhere and things happen and I go -----Hey That's Not So Bad... How about these examples?

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:24 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Playing with split tone

I think the latest images have the best crop. I like the sepia.
Can you clarify how you did the split toning in the original image?
Scott

Sep 29, 2015 at 07:27 AM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Playing with split tone

In the first image it appears that I was using the Split Tone module as if it were a Gradient filter. Because the sky was a little blown out, I wanted to add some kind of a tone to it and a different tone to the water...A different idea than using it for highlights and shadows...Using the Balance slider I adjusted the two to give me what I thought was an interesting look.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Playing with split tone

that's what I thought
I have never experimented with splitting the toning that way

Scott

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Playing with split tone

...I watched a few YouTube vids on the subject, and thought it was another tool I could use.....As I said I went ( by pure accident ) a different direction. I saw one photographer use split tone to adjust highlights and shadows , but to help bring out the tones in the colours in his landscape image. Very nice.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Playing with split tone

I like your most recent toning the most. Have you considered cropping from the left in your recent versions? I think that'd really play up the diagonals, and make a very strong leading line from lower right support to the guy.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.