Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

doonie15
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

I shot a wedding Saturday and when I got to the reception, checked for my name to see which table we were seated at. There was my "photographer & guest" placecard along with all the other guests so I went over to my table which was completely empty, put 2 chairs together, hung 2 large,cloth, bright blue napkins over the chairs and put my name tag right in the middle. Then made my way around to get my detail shots. A little later as guests started to arrive, i went back over to our table and found 2 purses on the 2 chairs I had pushed together, 2 new name tags in place of mine and other various items on the rest of the chairs. And my placecard was nowhere to be found. So not only did they hijack my seats but they discarded my placecard ! I mentioned this to the venue coordinator when I ran into him and asked if he would please set us up at the bar, which he had no problem with, but just thought this was a particularly rude move on the guests part.

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:39 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Since presumably there were enough chairs I wonder why they did this was it "ugh we have to sit with the photographer"?

There are so many problems with food and other things I gtfo and sit in my car eat my own food and review pictures in peace. I can't be dealing with all the 'vendor meals', chasing venues for food, getting fed last so I'm rushing setting up for speeches, awkward small talk being on the misfits guest table etc.

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:53 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

There are better things in life to worry about. This is not one of them.

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:58 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Mark_L wrote:
Since presumably there were enough chairs I wonder why they did this was it "ugh we have to sit with the photographer"?

There are so many problems with food and other things I gtfo and sit in my car eat my own food and review pictures in peace. I can't be dealing with all the 'vendor meals', chasing venues for food, getting fed last so I'm rushing setting up for speeches, awkward small talk being on the misfits guest table etc.

I totally agree. I am not one to make a fuss about food. It's not in my contract and if I get taken care of, great, and if not, I can easily go one night without eating. And I am much more comfortable sitting alone at a bar than at the "misfits guest table", very aptly named I didn't post because it bothered me so much as the level of rudeness in our society that has become acceptable is something I can't help but think about far too often. But then, I'm 60 years old and consider myself to be a somewhat thoughtful person when it comes to other peoples feelings so this type of thing always kind of surprises me.

Sep 28, 2015 at 04:13 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Eh Gary, thanks for sharing that ugly experince ! I disagree with you on not eating at all, as far as I can remember I have eaten 3 times a day, at least, and have no intention to change it so my point is "I have the right to eat during the wedding at some point, whether my own food or what I am given" and by the level of effort shootinga wedding requires if I dont eat then ...

Sep 28, 2015 at 04:29 PM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

amonline wrote:
There are better things in life to worry about. This is not one of them.

Agreed, let stuff roll off
I often find that when I am pissed at things like this that a caterer or someone else removed it or whatever and the whole thing was harmless, just feels personal.

Sep 28, 2015 at 04:38 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Who has time to eat? I get a pizza on the way home and enjoy my meal when I am not worried about jumping up every 5 minutes.

Sep 28, 2015 at 04:51 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Yeah I dont get that. Did they even know the place cards they moved were the photographers? If not, they just kicked some guests out of their seats, forcing them to find a table with 2 free seats! Rude.

If it was me, I woulda played dumb and asked the guests "Oh! I had a place card and thought I was supposed to sit here, but I can't find it?" *looks puzzled*

But if they played dumb too, oh well, I find somewhere else to eat.

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:02 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

so how much did you get when you pawned their purses?

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:05 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

rw11 wrote:
so how much did you get when you pawned their purses?

Ha ! I should have started pawing through the purses and when they caught me i could just say " sorry, I was looking for my placecard, could've sworn I left it right here "

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:30 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Oh, and just for the record, I've shot over 150 weddings so this stuff is not new to me. If I let every little thing like this bother me I'd have quit long ago.

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:33 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

You guys still deal with vendor meals?

Its in my contract now. I eat the same thing as the other guests, as well as my 2nd and assistant.

No open bar though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:45 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Enough reason not to shoot the wedding !😊

FrancisK7 wrote:
No open bar though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:02 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

FrancisK7 wrote:
You guys still deal with vendor meals?

Its in my contract now. I eat the same thing as the other guests, as well as my 2nd and assistant.

No open bar though.

jmraso wrote:
Enough reason not to shoot the wedding !😊

Pffft

Show me your contract that stipulates prima nocta, then I'll be impressed.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:17 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

*Braveheart flashbacks*

But seriously OP, I feel for you. Some people don't know what class or respect means.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:46 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

nolaguy wrote:
Pffft

Show me your contract that stipulates prima nocta, then I'll be impressed.

We just let it happen naturally.

Sep 28, 2015 at 07:26 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
We just let it happen naturally.

Tony.... I enjoy many on the forum but you may be the dry wit that most often makes me laugh out loud.

Sep 28, 2015 at 07:30 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

At my wedding this past Saturday, the food was family style, including the vendor meals. The vendors had their own table. As many weddings here do so, the first dance was immediately after the bride and groom were announced into the reception. By the time the wedding party announcements and first dances were completed, my second photographer and I walked over to the vendor table and noticed that the BAND (who had only been there for an hour) had eaten ALL of the food. Leaving none for us. Our sweet B&G even ordered a vegetarian dish especially for my second photographer.

Now *that* is really rude, IMO. It wasn't that big of a deal, though, I just moved on and we went and had margaritas and tacos afterwards. :-)

Sep 28, 2015 at 07:37 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

your fault for not knowing that a BAND will scarf up anything in sight - you are lucky they didn't eat your camera straps and packing foam

Sep 28, 2015 at 09:28 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is there no end to the rudeness ?

I would have picked the purses up off the chairs, put them on the table , picked the chairs up and moved them to the other side and sat my arse down after asking a waiter for a jug of coke and my meal.

I don't take kindly to that sort of thing and if they came back and didn't like it, the good news is the complaints dept. is always open. He's called the head waiter.
First question is going to be " Why are you sitting there when your place is over here? That's the photographers table".

Clearly whoever moved the place cards and napkins knew someone else was sitting there but thought they were more important. Not to me you are not when you pull this kind of stunt.

People are DAMN rude and self centred these days and I totally agree with the op that standards of consideration for others and respect are falling alarmingly.
I often wonder where we will end up. Everyone seems to be so about themselves now it pisses me off. It's like the common theme is " Stuff you Jack, I'm OK so that's all that matters."

I have put my camera bags down and come back to find coats and baby crap and strollers piled on them and even had battery chargers unplugged so people could charge phones or video recorders etc. That happened twice at one function so I took the phone and put it under a nearby Jacket. Didn't that put the rude self centred twerp in a fit for a while! :0)

Another time I was doing a school formal and took my Harley as a prop and put it in front of a background and lights I set up. I threw the backdrop over the bike when I finished and piled the light stands next to it so it was all out of the way in the foyer. I came back during the evening to do a family portrait request and here is this guy moving the lights and complaining the "cloth" was in the way. When I asked him WTF he thought he was doing, he had a go at me because he couldn't take pictures. I told him I had already done all the kids pictures but he wanted to take his own and started pulling the " Cloth" off the bike again.

That started to escalate quickly but luckily the coordinator of the function came by and basically told the guy to go sit down or leave. He walked off still loudly whingeing like he had been been hard and unfairly done by. When the night was over and everyone was going, He came up to me and had another go about how I had no right to stop him taking photos with the bike and how he'd not be buying any of my pictures.

Umm, I already figured that much out by the fact you were so keen to take your own pics using my property.

Self centred idiots. They are everywhere.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:31 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.