FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Super Blood Moonrise

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super Blood Moonrise

So, it is evident that many folks were anticipating and waiting to photograph the super blood moon eclipse and for good reason. I, on the other had, was more interested in photographing the moonrise. After a day of exploring abandoned places this old barn became the choice for a subject to include with the super moon. I had witnessed the moonrise the night before and it appeared quite large. Even though it is actually an illusion and not larger at all. I had finally acquired a Canon FD 1.4x-A Extender to pair with my Canon FDn 300/4L and so I was eager to try it out. This was my first time using this set up. Having arrived at this barn well in advance of the moonrise I had time to get to where I needed to frame this photo like I envisioned. It turns out I needed to be around 400-500 metres (yards) away from the barn. It is quite amazing how rapidly the moon appears to reduce in size as it rises above the horizon. This type of photo has been on my to-do-list for some time. What a better time than a super moon to capture it.

Hope you enjoy!

Edited on Sep 28, 2015 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:04 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super Blood Moonrise

Cool!

Is it the man in the moon, or the face in the barn? Ha-ha!

Very nice Scott. And you're right, when the moon first rises, it appears gigantic, then grows smaller, quickly too.

I have that sequence too!

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:11 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super Blood Moonrise

Hey Scott,

Boy... What an amazing shot! That barn adds such cool interest to go along with this scene. And I like that that moon is slightly masked, it gives it a nice look.

And that sequence you put together, now that is really sweet. Well done on all accounts.

Jim

Sep 28, 2015 at 04:09 PM
Keaty
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super Blood Moonrise

Great shot! I've only seen a moonrise like this once in my lifetime, and that was after an evening surf session in Folly Beach, South Carolina a number of years ago...it looked like the sun was coming up again, which is exactly what your image looks like here as well!

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:23 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super Blood Moonrise

Great image Scott.
This is nice combination of elements, moon & barn.
Much more compelling than just the moon, which is my normal result ...

Thanks for posting

Dan

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:55 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Super Blood Moonrise

Great shot, way to use clouds and atmospheric distortion to your advantage. I'd of been pulling out my hair over the overcast sky.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:08 PM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Super Blood Moonrise

Stellar shot!

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Super Blood Moonrise

Great capture Scott. Unfortunately the moon was not seen much due to clouds here.

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Super Blood Moonrise

Thank you all so much!

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Super Blood Moonrise

Now that is super cool!!!

Sep 29, 2015 at 03:06 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Super Blood Moonrise

That's a great shot Scott! I love the fact that you envisioned the shot, then set out to capture it. The results turned out great, and I really like that layer of clouds in front of the moon. I also appreciate the fact that you didn't likify the shot by cranking the saturation to +29,098%

Sep 29, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Super Blood Moonrise

What a great rendition !!!
Love it.

Sep 29, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Super Blood Moonrise

Thank you very much Mark, Ben and Matt!

Ben Horne wrote:
That's a great shot Scott! I love the fact that you envisioned the shot, then set out to capture it. The results turned out great, and I really like that layer of clouds in front of the moon. I also appreciate the fact that you didn't likify the shot by cranking the saturation to +29,098%

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.