New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wedding photography

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding photography

You couldn't pay me enough! And I'd rather have my eyeballs ripped out of my skull with rusty fishhooks and severely beaten in the head with a 2 X 4 before I EVER attempt such a thing again.

I have gained MUCH respect to all the truly talented wedding photog's out there.

Just ain't my cup-a-tea to say the least. Give me solitude and serenity in the great outdoors hundreds of miles from people and I'm good.

Just had to get that of my chest.

That's all.

Dave

Sep 28, 2015 at 01:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding photography

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not exactly a style of shooting you just hop into and succeed for the most part.

Jeff

Sep 28, 2015 at 01:55 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding photography

I did a few years ago. Stressful and as frustrating as herding cats. Not my cup-a, either.

Sep 28, 2015 at 02:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding photography

I'm just thankful for the newlyweds that I wasn't their main (paid) photographer.

I've never seen so many smurf and badly sun burned people before.
Pfft... And y'all think I have a hard time with WB and color cast in my landscapes! You ain't seen nuthin.

Toss in some disco lights and every imaginable light source known to mankind and we have ourselves some serious visual carnage.

Don't worry though. I won't be posting any here. I'm not that cruel.

Dave

Sep 28, 2015 at 02:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding photography

I'm with ya Dave.

Old school wedding photography ... two rolls of Kodak VPS 160 (three rolls tops) to get a really nice album of 25-30 sweet prints + enlargements of choice. Today, it seems to be a far different world from when I did enjoy doing weddings (1990's).

I talked to a local wedding photographer about 10 years back regarding the changes in the industry. His advice ... "Just be sure and price it high enough that you like doing it."

The rationale was that if you price it high enough, you will either:

A) Have a price so high that folks won't want to pay it, and thus you won't have to do it, or ...
B) When folks are willing to pay that high of a price, it is enough $$$ that you do enjoy doing it.

Just make sure, it is high enough.
Yup, things change when you go from pleasure shooting to professional shooting as a business. The latter is still work, and it isn't always the same joy as when shooting for pleasure. Kinda like baking cookies ... not quite the same as running a bakery.

Sep 28, 2015 at 02:48 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding photography

HA! I like that rationale!

I'm pretty sure I'd be safe if I charged $25k per gig.
And if by some strange reason they accepted, I would hire a very nice photog to "fill-in" for me.

I was asked if I would be the main photog next year for another family wedding. Even though I felt bad by declining, the words "OH HELL NO!" spewed from my lips without even a slight hesitation.

Very few things in this world can make me cringe. Wedding and Portrait photography is one of them.
The other is seeing a video of someone removing a blow fly larvae from another person's head.

Dave

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:20 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding photography

C'mon now, Dave. All this talk and we don't even get one sample of your wedding work?

I leave the wedding & portrait photography to those who are not only good with their equipment, but also good with people.

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding photography

Is it easier than herding rabbits?

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding photography

lighthound wrote:
HA! I like that rationale!

I'm pretty sure I'd be safe if I charged $25k per gig.
And if by some strange reason they accepted, I would hire a very nice photog to "fill-in" for me.

I'm good for $20K, so you can keep $5K.

Sep 28, 2015 at 08:18 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding photography

How about if you take it all then just drop off a new 600mm f/4 with the finished photos at my house.

Sep 28, 2015 at 08:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding photography

lighthound wrote:
How about if you take it all then just drop off a new 600mm f/4 with the finished photos at my house.

Okay, then I'll find someone to do it for $10K and see what WE can do with $15K ... I know a guy.

Sep 28, 2015 at 09:31 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding photography

sbeme wrote:
Is it easier than herding rabbits?

Rabbits can be easy to herd. Most evenings I herd two rabbits back to their bunny house for the night. Of course it helps that there are oats and other treats waiting for them.

Cats and wedding parties, on the other hand....

Or, by herding rabbits, did you mean rabbits who herd?

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding photography

Haha! That is cute Karen! He's a tough (and brave) little bunny!

There ya go Karen! You could start doing weddings and use your bunny as your assistant! All you would have to do is start clicking and let the bunny do all the work for you.

Dave

Sep 29, 2015 at 08:24 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding photography

RustyBug wrote:
Okay, then I'll find someone to do it for $10K and see what WE can do with $15K ... I know a guy.

Cool! I'll have my people call your people and we'll be all set.

Dave

Sep 29, 2015 at 08:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding photography

Ha, I have done at least 8 weddings for grandkids and nieces/nephews. Usually as a secondary but a few times as a primary and one niece had a second wedding. It was not too stressful because we are mostly a red neck family with low expectations and under $100 wedding gowns. I don't know what I am doing, and they did not know what I should be doing.

By the way, my first was with a 35mm film camera and I shot it in B&W. That would have been around 1995.

Nov 06, 2015 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.