New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD

mrhoni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD

If you have this lens, please read on...

I just purchased this lens. During the year I photograph a couple dog walk/run events I usually bring 24-70 and 70-200 (both most current models). Of course they're heavy and can't switch fast enough, so I thought I'd try this lens for an event this past weekend.

I know it's not going to be as sharp as my other two lenses. It was very convenient and light to use, but I wonder if the lens I got is a not so good copy. In reviewing the results, I almost wondered if I had the shake reduction turned off (it was on). Sometimes I really screwed up and had the shutter speed to slow, such as 1/15 zoomed to 161mm!

My first set of the runners sucks because I had the shutter to slow.

Other times, the shutter speed was ok for the subject and focal length and the focus point was where I wanted but then it was somewhat out of focus.

Below are 2 images from a simple test. First is the Tamron at 188mm and then the Canon at 200mm. Focus point was on the R of RIPE.

Question 1 - have you found that this happens with you. Even though you think all is right, it just seems to miss focus? There was a an image from the test images I'm showing here, but unfortunately I deleted it so I can't show you how one photo was focused fine and then the next show it was not focused well.

Question 2 - When I looked at the tamron image on the camera screen (5DMKIII), the white had the blinkies and the canon did not. Both images same settings on manual except focal length was slightly different. Looking at the histogram shows a little more shift to the right on the Tamron and the whites visually look brighter.
So - something you've experienced? Should this be happening?

This is the tamron
http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-VxJXFbP/0/XL/i-VxJXFbP-XL.jpg

This is the canon 70-200
http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-qrmB2zj/0/XL/i-qrmB2zj-XL.jpg

I wonder if this helps. I did 2:1 in Lightroom and then did a screenshot and then saved at 100% from Snagit.

Tamron
http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-SPBvRZV/0/X2/i-SPBvRZV-X2.jpg

Canon
http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/photos/i-F4GkMcs/0/X2/i-F4GkMcs-X2.jpg

Sep 27, 2015 at 07:55 PM
tr1957
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD

Q1 - Call me blind, but I'm really not seeing much of a difference in focus. The Tamron may be a bit less sharp, but it costs about half as much and has almost 4 times the zoom range.

Q2 - The Tamron is a variable aperture lens, so this might have come in to play. Otherwise, the Tamron may just have a higher light transmission (since f stop does not directly measure the amount of right getting through), or may one lens may be a bit off in how the f stops are adjusted (f8 is really f7.5 or f8.5).

Edited on Oct 05, 2015 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2015 at 03:55 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD

I went back to the 24-70 and 70-200 for last weekends dog walk/run. More comfortable using them and just seemed link better performance. Did miss the lightness of the tamron.
I'd still want to keep the tamron for travel and misc usage. Will be going to the store this weekend, just to double check the lens compared to another copy and my own lens.

There were shots I checked the focus point, which was where it should be, and the images came out a bit blurry.

Oct 05, 2015 at 04:00 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD

One thing I've noticed with Tamron VC (I've seen it personally with the 24-70/2.8, read reports on other popular lenses) is that if you're well above 1/f, say in the 1/800+ range for example, the stabilization can cause what should be sharp shots to be weirdly blurred.

That issue, along with the zoom ring turning the 'wrong' direction for a Canon shooter, keep me away from picking one of these up, as the quality is certainly acceptable for the convenience such a lens brings. I'll be waiting for a Sigma C version instead .

Oct 05, 2015 at 04:21 PM
mrhoni
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD

johnctharp wrote:
One thing I've noticed with Tamron VC (I've seen it personally with the 24-70/2.8, read reports on other popular lenses) is that if you're well above 1/f, say in the 1/800+ range for example, the stabilization can cause what should be sharp shots to be weirdly blurred.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. On the test shots in this post, when I was reviewing first in Lightroom, I noticed one that shot that was a bit blurry and it was shot right after one that was fine. 1/1000 at 188mm.

Oct 05, 2015 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.