FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

xjtian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

2 months after moving to California, I'm still getting all the "cliche" shots out of the way. Got seriously lucky with the weather yesterday and caught some gorgeous cotton-candy clouds in the sky.

Usually, I love sunset burns, but for some reason I find myself preferring #1 because of how dynamic the clouds look. Thoughts?

Sep 27, 2015 at 05:11 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

Both of these are wonderful shots. The clouds are very nice in #1, and the feathering clouds with color in #2 can't be beat.

I certainly wouldn't worry about getting "cliché" or icon shots out of the way. Just enjoy shooting the beauty around you. The majority of us won't judge you because you shoot something that others have shot. And the few in here who complain or downgrade a shot because it's an icon, just ignore them.

Jim

Sep 27, 2015 at 05:41 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

I agree with Jim here. Both shots are great but I think the first one looks better.

Sep 27, 2015 at 07:31 PM
xjtian
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

Thanks, Jim & Gregg! I think ultimately it's the lighting that makes the first shot better. By the time the clouds started really burning, the sun was no longer shining on the foreground. I might play around with dodging/burning the second shot later to see if I can improve it.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:58 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

I agree with Jim and Greg. I think if you brought the overall brightness down on the second photo would help it.

Sep 28, 2015 at 01:41 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

Scott Kroeker wrote:
I agree with Jim and Greg. I think if you brought the overall brightness down on the second photo would help it.

Looking at #2 again, I would say that Scott is making a very good point. I think just pulling down slightly on the midtones will help balance the feel of that one.

Jim

Sep 28, 2015 at 03:00 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

#2 is one of the best shots of the lone cypress I have seen. Absolutely superb conditions.

There are other possible compositions but your's is perfect to showcase the amazing colors in the sky you experienced.

I would tweak a few things in the file here and there but overall excellent job.

There are many other great spots for photos within a few miles but the lone cypress still is a must visit. As you showed conditions are never really the same and they can take an image of even a heavily photographed spot to another level. Either way the experience of being there makes the visit worth it.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:02 AM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

Like them both!

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

Couple nice looking photos! I prefer the second one because of the great colors! nice work.

Sep 29, 2015 at 08:27 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cotton Candy at Lone Cypress

Wow what fabulous pink in # 2, incredible color! Excellent processing, might you try a slight vignette to see if that can draw and keep the eye in the image.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.