Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

kbarrera
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

Recently I bought my daughter a used 40d on Keh with a consumer grade Tamron 28-200 for a measly $ 211.00.
Now of I course I'm the classic elitist with my 600 MK II and 1d mark iv so I don't read his stuff. My daughter however just wanted a nice camera to photograph her new baby. She stumbled on Ken Rockwell's review in which he claimed the Canon 40 d was the greatest camera Canon ever made and it made her feel good. That's what Ken Rockwell does. I find it harmless.

Al

Sep 29, 2015 at 05:24 PM
Robert E
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

Chez,
Actually when I started noticing his contradictions and inconsistencys I stopped going to his website. So you can leave
me out on that. 😊

Sep 29, 2015 at 05:53 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

Pixels impress amateurs, while guys like me who shoot every day for a living are more impressed at how my 5D Mark III lets me get more of the right pixels faster, not just more of the wrong ones.

I am a photographic artist, not a blogger.

etc. etc.

Sep 29, 2015 at 06:08 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

That thing is very old, but still funny.

Sep 29, 2015 at 06:36 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

danski0224 wrote:
You can't pay for free publicity like this

Yes, let's all rush over to his site to see what this fuss is all about.

Chaching

Sep 29, 2015 at 08:40 PM
drewmey
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

chez wrote:
Yes, let's all rush over to his site to see what this fuss is all about.

Chaching

I'll admit I haven't checked his site in quite some time. However, I always thought he only got money when you clicked on his links to other websites and then bought the gear from that link? No harm in visiting the site even if you dislike him or his advice.

Also, found the lines humorous. I'm guessing those who don't find it funny are the ones who also aren't able to watch SNL and laugh at the jokes because "politics and news are a serious matter, only children tell such jokes" ....lighten up.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

I don't get the relationship. Wasn't Chuck Norris a B list actor in the old marital art films? IIRC he had a karate studio in Van Nuys or thereabouts back about 45 years ago.

EBH

Sep 30, 2015 at 06:56 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

kbarrera wrote:
Recently I bought my daughter a used 40d on Keh with a consumer grade Tamron 28-200 for a measly $ 211.00.
Now of I course I'm the classic elitist with my 600 MK II and 1d mark iv so I don't read his stuff. My daughter however just wanted a nice camera to photograph her new baby. She stumbled on Ken Rockwell's review in which he claimed the Canon 40 d was the greatest camera Canon ever made and it made her feel good. That's what Ken Rockwell does. I find it harmless.

Al

See, Al, with all respect and I hope you don't mind me using your example, but this is precisely why I think poorly of Mr. Rockwell.

He knows way more about photography than I do and in theory, could be providing a sound service, but my impression is he doesn't. He seems to have crafted a formula of sensationalistic characterizations that just feeeel so good to the uneducated (precisely those he is responsible to - other than his ever growing family of course) and they spend their money based on his simplistic reviews and advice.

In my opinion he deliberately dumbs things down and makes sweeping claims solely designed to drive his commissions. Now, if he said hey, I sell snake oil, want some? That would be different. But he postures as an objective reviewer, not a sales person and much of the time I think he simply misleads people.

One need only see a video from a few years back of him touring one of his referred sellers and watch the seller totally sucking up to him to have a sense of how many consumer dollars are being toyed with by his everyman common sense.

$211 is a modest amount, I agree. I suspect most of those clicking his buy links are spending considerably more - but that's not really the point, is it?

Almost as offensive is he's clearly not a dumb person but he seems to me too lazy to even compose coherent, linear, efficient articles. He repeats himself in the same article as if it's new content and to me, regularly fails to present a path of sequential, logical information. It's as if he's just babbling with no concern for editing or consideration as to whether the information makes sense. And I use the term information loosely.

Al, again, I mean no disrespect. I get your point and I could have quoted any number of comments in this thread as a springboard for my little rant. I'm in no way criticizing you or your daughter and I'm glad she's happy with her gear.

Best regards,

Chuck

Sep 30, 2015 at 07:37 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

Chuck
I get it. But in this case it was a Canon 40d which is a great camera, and he was right.
I'm not a Ken Rockwell "hugger" but all he is doing is offering an opinion......not much different than what goes on here, especially in the review section.

Al

Oct 01, 2015 at 03:35 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

mitesh wrote:
Trying to reconcile your post above with the advice you gave in this post:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1321803/1#12612371

+1

Oct 05, 2015 at 07:49 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

Who is Ken Rockwell? Seriously?

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:12 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ken Rockwell is a Chuck Norris of photography!

he's a blogger with a popular photo site - search on his name and it'll pop up

sometimes he gives good advice; often he is amusing w/out intending to be

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.