Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · TX High School Football, Killeen

andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TX High School Football, Killeen

Local rivalry, the Ellison Eagles took on the Harker Heights Knights. Here are a few of my favorite images from the game.

Sep 27, 2015 at 02:41 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TX High School Football, Killeen

Wow! For some reason I thought you guys would have much brighter lights being Texas and all.

Sep 27, 2015 at 06:30 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TX High School Football, Killeen

Carlos Salcedo wrote:
Wow! For some reason I thought you guys would have much brighter lights being Texas and all.

It varies a lot. Texas is a big place. Here in Round Rock, there is a $20M HS football stadium that we call "the Palace". There's one in Allen (suburb of Dallas) that's $60M.

The tiny town of Carthage over in East Texas (6800 people) has a $750K high-res electronic scoreboard.

And then you have tons of stadiums with lighting like Andy's photos, or worse.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:15 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TX High School Football, Killeen

Wow, iso 25600...going where no man has gone before or something like that. And I thought I shot in some caves. I think the last one has quite a bit of detail, especially for the crop and ISO. Good action. Not a huge fan of 2 and 3 (I would post these for sale in a gallery, but probably not present here) and 4 could maybe use a tighter vertical crop.

Sep 28, 2015 at 08:19 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TX High School Football, Killeen

End zones are worse than mid-field and this isn't the worst field I have. But I like the shutter fast and I keep the ISO on Auto. I think the camera handles it well. It's so much nicer than my old 7D and 5D I used when I started sports. I've heard when ESPN goes and shoots a game they bring in extra lights and it makes life much easier for photographers. The only times I've shot televised games all it did was slow down the play.

#2 has no face, but I like the moment. #3 is just a different perspective. I'm honestly tired of the smoke, breaking thru the banner, coming out of the inflatable tunnel shot. But I do enjoy sports photography.

Thanks for looking and for the feedback.

Sep 28, 2015 at 08:34 AM
Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TX High School Football, Killeen

Crazy ISO's!
And I thought going up to 6400 was a challenge...

Sep 28, 2015 at 09:00 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TX High School Football, Killeen

6400 is a dream. A sweet dream.

I could cut the speed down but I'm not sure where the blur point would be. 800 should generally get me by, but just in case...

Next week I should have a day game, college. I am so looking forward to that.

Sep 28, 2015 at 09:04 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TX High School Football, Killeen

andyz wrote:
6400 is a dream. A sweet dream.

one reason why I don't shoot night games

Sep 29, 2015 at 05:48 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TX High School Football, Killeen

Excellent post on those high ISO images. Can you share your process?

I am routinely at 25600 shooting gymnastics and the last 15 minutes of most soccer games. I call it fun with ISO, start at about 200 ISO @ kick off and end at 25600. . .

Sep 29, 2015 at 07:02 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · TX High School Football, Killeen

In a nutshell I ingest in Photo Mechanic where I caption images and rate them, then in Lightroom CC I crop and add a couple actions that includes contrast -15 to 20, clarity +25, Vibrance +20, sharpening 31 (redius 1.4, detail 15, masking 60) and Noise reduction luminance 31, detail 50, contrast 24, color 50, detail 50, smoothness 50.

Several of those are defaults and I might go in and tweak them. I also often adjust highlights and shadows to taste, based on the image. I honestly don't think I spend more than 30 seconds on an image in CC. I adjust the first, sync all my pics, and go thru and crop and adjust for differing light conditions.

I mostly credit the 1D X for noise control. Cameras today are so far ahead of where they were just 5 years ago. I also shoot RAW.

Thanks for asking.

Sep 29, 2015 at 08:35 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.