Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Backgrounds and Cropping CC

crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backgrounds and Cropping CC

Curious what sorts of recommendations others would have about the background when shooting and also for cropping CC pictures. Not much extra space to crop on any of these and they were all shot vertical. But, let me know what you think on these scenarios:

1) About 1/2 way through the race - easy to get background with other runners coming down the hill towards me. Cropped so the Fulton runner is 2/3 to my right. One other runner was to his left and fairly close, so that made the decision easy to use the rule of 1/3. I like the way this shot was easy to decide how to crop.

2) Racing to the finish line....again, fairly easy in this situation to get the Fulton girl in the forefront but at 1/3 to my left, showing the other runners behind her. I'm pretty pleased with framing and small bit of cropping on this one.

3) Single runner shot vertical and centered, but wondering if I should have been shooting horizontal so that I could give space in front of her. What are your suggestions?

4) Runner with others chasing, but she has to be placed at the 2/3 mark to my right or else there would be empty space to her left and the runners to her right would be partially cropped out so you see even less of them. Your suggestions? The way I framed it there is very little space to the runner's right side.

In terms of backgrounds, I like #1 the most. At the last stretch to the finish line, there isn't much crowd (except a few folks at the fence) but I do have a nice backdrop of trees.

I know some of you are much more experienced than I am and I would appreciate your suggestions/ideas.

Sep 27, 2015 at 01:47 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backgrounds and Cropping CC

#1 Given the limitations as you've stated them, I think this one's fine.

#2 This one really begs for a horizontal crop. The flow of the action is from right to left through the frame and a horizontal framing would fit this better than the vertical frame, which seems cramped and gives them nowhere to run.

#3 This one's fine, but I'd move the frame down and to our left (leaving more space on bottom than top--my mind's eye wants to see that she has somewhere to land--and giving her more space to run into). No good reason to bullseye her.

#4 Aside from shooting this one from a different angle (to this runner's right so we can see more of the other runners), I don't know that there's much you can do with it, though it's the weakest of the bunch, except as an isolation (stock) shot of this runner, but then there's the issue of the other partial runners.

My main recommendation would be to switch up your shooting to include some taken with your camera in a horizontal position. Vertical shooting often can lead to options for horizontal cropping, but not if you shoot tight. And some action is just better served with horizontal framing.

Sep 27, 2015 at 02:45 PM
crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backgrounds and Cropping CC

Thanks, Russ, for your thoughts. The more I think about how I shot that day the more I realize I should have done more horizontal shots to allow myself more room to crop.

Here's the 3rd photo - first the original, which doesn't leave me too much room to crop in the first place! I went ahead and re-posted the first crop of her, but also the second crop leaving a bit more space at her feet. I think you're right on target....comparing the first crop and the second one does give a different feel to each of them, and I like a bit more space at her feet.

Side note: Maybe the original is just as good?

© crteach 2015

original

© crteach 2015

first crop

© crteach 2015

slightly different second crop to give a bit more room at her feet

Sep 27, 2015 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.