Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

WiredMike
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

I am a professional photographer and I use my cell phone camera (which is better than most digital cameras today).
I am so canceling my gear order......

Oct 21, 2015 at 07:27 AM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

I'm with Glort on this one.

I don't agree with their ideas for business but I do support their efforts to generate business.
Nothing teaches one faster than actually going out and trying stuff.

Yes, they may get a bloody nose on this attempt but with persistence they have a far greater chance of success than making oracular pronouncements on enthusiast fora.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

You buy a camera, you're a photographer.
you buy a piano, you own a piano.

Nov 04, 2015 at 06:37 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

An inch of movement will bring you closer to your goals than a mile of intention.....

Nov 06, 2015 at 04:33 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Daniel Smith wrote:
You buy a camera, you're a photographer.
you buy a piano, you own a piano.

Technically if your using the equipment, you're a photographer/pianist. Doesn't matter if your good or not.

I think professional just means "you make a living doing it"

Dec 08, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Konablue
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

I'm not aware of any established standard or certification for the 'professional photographer" but here are my thoughts on what a "Pro Photographer" is.

Simply defining "professional photographer" as one who gets paid versus one who doesn't, or even one who makes a living at it is a weak description of the term. This simple definition is often used in sports but it there is really much more to the term "professional" than just earning a paycheck. Getting paid is usually a result of being professional but that should not define the professional photographer. One can be very unprofessional and still be getting paid.

Expertise, responsibility, and being involved with a corporate body of the same profession better defines the "Professional Photographer". By corporate body I mean being a member of photography focused group such as ASMP, APA, PPA, working with a media organization or being active others in the same profession such as this forum (FM) or others like it. Particularly those that come here to associate, share ideas, and learn from other photographers.

Perhaps someday there will be some form of regulation or certification for the Professional Photographer" and I wish there was but in the meantime we'll just have to regulate ourselves as best we can.

Dec 10, 2015 at 02:48 AM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

The market determines whether one is a pro or not.
If you can't get paid for doing your work, you aren't one.

What you deliver is irrelevant. As Monte Zucker said, "Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder."

Dec 10, 2015 at 04:22 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

This whole notion of "Professional photographer" is a self inflated joke. Exactly what makes a photographer a professional anymore than a plumber, painter or even a window washer. There are professions out there where you need to pass an exam in order to be designated a Professional...making money is not one of the criteria.

Most photographers have zero schooling, have not passed any qualifications and don't adhere to any defined standards.

Being a professional has a lot more to do than make an income...the person flipping burgers makes an income...is he a Professional Burger Flipper.

Dec 10, 2015 at 05:52 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

What defines a pro photographer is an interesting debate. As someone with a full-time regular (non-photography) job, who loves photography and earns some income from it, here's my take: (BTW, I don't consider myself a 'professional photographer', rather a 'photographer who's professional')

First and foremost, it's about not letting your client down:

To me this means not taking on gigs beyond your capability. Not getting paid because of poor results is the least of my worries. Fluffing a gig and disappointing someone is a much bigger deal for me. Ensuring you have contingency. All the tools required to execute the job and stuff you probably won't need but pack 'just in case' plus backup gear. Bodies, lenses, flashes, batteries, cards. You'd be surprised at the number of 'pros' I've come across shooting weddings with one camera body, never mind the ones with only one battery and one memory card.....

Image backup and archive. If my house burns down, can I still deliver the images? If my client's house burns down, can I supply a replacement album or replacement prints?

Acting professionally. Being polite, courteous and honest to your client (and their guests). I've seen some so-called professional wedding photographers who were exceptionally arrogant and rude towards their clients' guests. Having defined and agreed expectations on both sides. Delivering images of an appropriate quality within an agreed timescale and being realistic about print delivery if it's requested. Delivering quality prints from a quality lab.

Having the requisite insurances -

Equipment insurance. Still being able to deliver tomorrow's gig if I drop a camera and lens on the floor, or on the bottom of a lake today.

Public liability and professional indemnity insurances. Goes without saying.

Other statutory requirements. Here in the UK, if I use mains powered gear (e.g. studio strobes), it has to be electrically tested and certified periodically.

To me, these are the minimum standards for a 'professional'. Feel free to chime in on anything I've missed.

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:39 PM
Konablue
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

I think ginfinlayson made some good points. Being responsible and accountable goes hand-in-hand with being a professional photographer.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Professional = Earning your living from what you do.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:30 PM
Konablue
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

glort wrote:

I agree that getting paid for your work is a key trait but that isn't the only thing. And there is a difference between getting paid and earning a living but that's subjective. Defining Pro Photographer by simply saying they get paid for their work is somewhat degrading to those that have invested years of training (including self-taught) and experience. Nor is it fair to those that do volunteer or charity work. If a client asked me to explain the term "Professional Photographer" I wouldn't describe it only as getting paid.

Here's an excerpt from Webster Dictionary and I think it really glosses over some of the key traits. Just my opinion and yes, we all have one.

"Full Definition of PROFESSIONAL

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb"

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Professional - earning money for doing a thing.

Good professional...? Ah that would be all those positive traits that many of us regard as being the minimum for being a pro.

Dec 12, 2015 at 02:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

glort wrote:

Professional McDonalds burger flipper.
Professional street sweeper.
Professional house cleaner.
Professional window washer.

The term is meaningless unless there is some association which sets standards and ensures it's members adhere to those standards.

The term professional photographer is totally meaningless without any standards or organization to regulate their members.

An engineer is NOT a professional until they apply and pass the necessary requirements of their governing association. There is no such thing for photographers...I can grab a camera tomorrow, setup a Facebook page, get a gig and I'm a Professional Photographer. What a joke.

Dec 12, 2015 at 05:24 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

The Difference in photography and being a professional thereof is that people don't tend to flip burgers or wash windows because they like it and are happy to do it without getting paid as in a hobby and what so many do for their own self satisfaction.
Nor is street sweeping or house cleaning done as a hobby as well as one's occupation.

Photography is fairly unique in that there are not too many things that people want to do as a hobby and can earn a full time living from it. Driving race cars may be one comparable example. Many do it for fun on weekends and some earn their living from it. they are professional Race car drivers. the definition is widely and clearly understood. I'm sure they don't have these banal arguments on racing forums.

To turn what I said around for verification, show me something people earn their living from that is not their profession.
Flipping burgers or sweeping streets IS your profession even if it is actually a trade.

This discussion of semantics goes back longer than most other arguments. Predictable ranting and indignation does not change anything or make the person that whinges the most and carry's on with veiled insults correct.
It just makes them arseholes.

Dec 13, 2015 at 04:35 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

glort wrote:
It just makes them arseholes.

So someone who disagrees with you is an arsehole? I see...lets just leave it at that.

Dec 13, 2015 at 07:03 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

To be honest it doesn't really matter.

And yes, if someone flips burgers for a living that would make them a professional burger flipper...

I'm not qualified in either photography or video work. I'm not a member of any association nor do I have any photographic or video related credentials. Yet I shoot all over the world, for some of the biggest corporations and am respected by many in the field.

If I'm employing someone I'll look to a few salient points:

1) Can they do the job to my satisfaction in terms of quality and delivery
2) Are they insured in case something goes wrong
3) Do they have backups where suitable (that would be point 1 also).
4) Do I like them
5) Are they reliable (which comes to point 1 ).

If they can do the above then I don't care if hey are "professional." Be a weekender if you like, have a different job between if it suits.

I've met many "professionals" and I wouldn't let some of them near my projects. I've met some amateurs who I'd be happy to trust.

This "Professional" badge of honour many of us strive to wear is as meaningless as the badge of DoP that college students carry when they leave media school - no one cares if you can't do the actual job.

It's nice to mark ourselves with a title that makes us feel good, but given that there are so many opinions as to what constitutes such a title, (and the clients will have an even wider interpretation), is it just that...? A badge to make us feel good...?

I spend more time digging up work in these harder times than actually pointing a lens. Does that make me a professional telesales person and an amateur photographer...? Hope not.

Dec 13, 2015 at 07:35 AM
dugaut
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

This is one of the best threads I've read given how being a photographer is changing so rapidly in some sense.

I have a full-time non-photographer job as some in this thread have said. When someone calls me a professional I say I'm an amateur that gets payed. But after reading this thread I don't know if the word amateur is correct.

I work at a high school and do some photography "unofficially" as part of my job. Of course, everyone has a smartphone, and some have dslrs they use like a smartphone, and have their own pictures which satisfy them. I've become so redundant that I've more or less stopped doing it for their sake and continue to do it to satisfy my own need to practice my craft as many days a week as I can (totally selfish.)

I used to think that, ok, maybe my pictures are better than theirs and they can notice that, but I'm starting to think even that doesn't matter anymore.

My mindset about being a photographer has gotten to the point where when I'm on a paying job, with people all around me taking their own photos and a sea of video cameras, I tell myself I'm at least getting the best seat in the house (right on the field; I get payed for sports photography.)

But in addition to that, I also still have a passion for photography, and for the craft of photography, and for the followup post-processing that helps me make good photos in camera better.

But passion and craft don't necessarily enter into the professional definition. Some of the best photographers out there are better business people than they are photographers. Or better at marketing themselves.

I'm beginning to think being a "professional" matters more in terms of being a decent human being as you go about your business of photographing, plumbing, landscaping, or whatever it is you do, rather than something inherent in what you do.

Dec 13, 2015 at 08:08 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

I think the term professional is too many times miss used.
It is a very broad term, and everyone who earns some money in a certain profession, can be considered a professional in that profession.

It is not an indication of quality or performance, but many when they use the title "professional photographer", try to give themselves the air of being master of their class. "oh he is a professional! well that means he must be very good!" sort of way.

Dec 13, 2015 at 08:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

chez wrote:
The sad truth is she probably delivers better results than most so called professionals with their expensive gear.

I'm thinking that is a pretty outlandish assumption.............

Dec 13, 2015 at 05:32 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.