Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Paul_K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Guess the demands have shifted these days

http://montreal.craigslist.ca/crs/5178081562.html

Sep 27, 2015 at 04:21 AM
AceCo55

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Sep 27, 2015 at 04:46 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

That'd be pretty funny, if it wasn't so sad.

Sep 27, 2015 at 05:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Gag!!!

Sep 27, 2015 at 08:23 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

You get tons of photos for $50 an hour? Better deal than the guys who charge the same for one photo!

Sep 27, 2015 at 09:20 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Ok - kill me now...

Sep 27, 2015 at 02:11 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

His style reminds me of Terry Richardson. The kid's got a future...

Sep 27, 2015 at 03:10 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

The sad truth is she probably delivers better results than most so called professionals with their expensive gear.

Sep 27, 2015 at 06:08 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Geez as shooters we get on our high horses quick.

Some kid calling themselves a Professional photographer has about as much bearing and significance to the industry as a kid playing Xpox calling themselves a Pilot has to the aviation industry.

What I see here is some kid trying to make a buck and utilising maybe one of the very few resources they have to try and do so.
At least they have some initiative and drive. They may be terribly misguided and naive but I sure as ship wasn't born full of experience and the knowledge I have now.

Actually I can relate.
As a kid I was always trying to come up with some great idea to make money. Most of my ideas even when I was well into my teens were Hopelessly Naive in hindsight and maybe I knew it at the time as well, but I tried anyway.

And really, how much different is this kid to me going to see a venue a couple of years back when they already told me they had a shooter they had used for years and were very happy with and wasn't interested in anyone else but I pushed my way in front of them anyway...... and walked out literally 5 min later with a $10K+ deal.
On the way home I stopped at the camera joint and bought the gear I needed to do the job cause what I had wasn't enough!

Like my grandfather used to say that many people wouldn't understand,
" No Hide, No Christmas box"

I don't think the kid has a hope in hell of earning a cracker but that's a different thing to them sitting down and thinking what can they do, how can they promote it and no doubt learning from the likely failure.

OTOH, maybe there is some old woman out there that would love to have some pictures of her old cat photographed and even more so, someone to talk to for an hour.
She might be very happy to have a young person come round and spend some time with them and give them a helping hand the way someone might have given them one once.

Maybe the kids a flake and maybe they are showing the signs of becoming a great shooter or a CEO of a major company.
One thing they are not is any influence or indication of the industry.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:05 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

That second photo is just creepy.

glort wrote:
What I see here is some kid trying to make a buck and utilising maybe one of the very few resources they have to try and do so.

At least they have some initiative and drive. They may be terribly misguided and naive but I sure as ship wasn't born full of experience and the knowledge I have now.

So putting an ad on craigslist with the solicitation "feel free to message me" qualifies as drive and initiative these days? I think I've put more drive into selling an old sofa on craigslist than this person has in his or her present career choice.

We don't know if this person is actually a kid or not. We merely assume so because the person is acting like a kid, which would say a lot if he or she weren't one.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

She is in my city.

Ohmagerd.

Sep 29, 2015 at 06:11 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Craigslist? The solicitation "feel free to massage me" would really drive business.

Sep 29, 2015 at 07:26 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

rico wrote:
Craigslist? The solicitation "feel free to massage me" would really drive business.

Sounds like what I have had dozens of clients tell me over the years established shooters said to them :

"If you would like to book, just get back to me".

Yep, Champion close that one! And I'd bet my backside more than a handfull of people that read this have said that and plenty still do!

I'm not defending the kid/ person for their lack of marketing ability, No worse than a shipload of "pro" shooters I have seen, I'm just saying that at least they are making an effort.
And no, the merit is not merely in putting an ad in craigslist, it's everything else behind and what they are seeing in potentially coming from it.

But lets not worry about that, more fun just to trash them and elevate our own status right?

Sep 30, 2015 at 02:04 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

glort wrote:
I'm not defending the kid/ person for their lack of marketing ability, No worse than a shipload of "pro" shooters I have seen, I'm just saying that at least they are making an effort.
And no, the merit is not merely in putting an ad in craigslist, it's everything else behind and what they are seeing in potentially coming from it.

But lets not worry about that, more fun just to trash them and elevate our own status right?

Well, I'm not a working professional photographer so I don't really have a dog in this fight, however, if someone is calling himself a professional then I believe the professional community, of which this person claims they are a member, has a right to weigh in on the descriptor. After all, those professionals have a vested interest in protecting the reputation of the profession. Otherwise, to say one is a "professional" loses any sort of significant meaning.

Oct 01, 2015 at 09:21 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

mdude85 wrote:
Well, I'm not a working professional photographer so I don't really have a dog in this fight, however, if someone is calling himself a professional then I believe the professional community, of which this person claims they are a member, has a right to weigh in on the descriptor. After all, those professionals have a vested interest in protecting the reputation of the profession. Otherwise, to say one is a "professional" loses any sort of significant meaning.

The problem is there is no official designation of professional in the photography business. Anyone can open up a shop and call themselves a professional photographer...whatever that is.
Why does a photographer need this professional designation when other jobs like a baker or software developer don't. What exactly does it mean to be a professional photographer?

Oct 01, 2015 at 10:06 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

mdude85 wrote:
. Otherwise, to say one is a "professional" loses any sort of significant meaning.

That happened a loooong time ago in this game.

Don't you know what the current requirement to be a pro shooter is?

Get a FB page and put the word " Photography" after your name.
Hell!, you don't even need Business cards any more, Just a FB page and if you are Uber pro, a blog.

Oct 01, 2015 at 10:11 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

glort wrote:
That happened a loooong time ago in this game.

Don't you know what the current requirement to be a pro shooter is?

Get a FB page and put the word " Photography" after your name.
Hell!, you don't even need Business cards any more, Just a FB page and if you are Uber pro, a blog.

Haha. yes. Well, at least they're making an effort.

Oct 01, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

At least she is distinguishing herself by doing something we aren't inclined to; raking photos, professionally. Mind you, I guess if pushed I could scatter some prints over the lawn...

Oct 01, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

how many photos exactly is it ... that adds up to a ton of weight ... is what I want to know.
I want to hire him for two and a half pounds worth of pictures.

Oct 06, 2015 at 07:03 PM
sj4231

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Current standards for a professional photographer ?

Seems to specialize in photos of dolls and cats, both of which are in critical demand.

Oct 12, 2015 at 09:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.