New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · I guess I was due...

onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I guess I was due...

I've owned DSLRs and way too many lenses for about 10 years and never broke anything in that time. I have worked in the broadcast TV business since the mid-80s and have held cameras and lenses worth more than my house when we bought it. Again, never had an incident. So, today, while attempting to affix my FD lens to my EF camera (via a recently purchased adapter) I felt something 'give' and knew something very, very bad had happened.

Mirror assembly on my 'new-to-me' 1DsIII is broken, fluttering like a drunken butterfly. Sensor appears to be fine but I won't know until I send it in. I'm super pissed off at my self. This was highly avoidable, mostly a 'brute force and ignorance' event not Iikely to happen again.

Sep 26, 2015 at 05:26 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I guess I was due...

all I can say is OUCH

Sep 26, 2015 at 05:28 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I guess I was due...

So sorry Cam. I hope it's not too costly. Was it because of using the adapter and it fit too snugly?

Sep 26, 2015 at 08:04 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I guess I was due...

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
all I can say is OUCH

You're more restrained than I was Ian. The neighbours heard some choice language...
---------------------------------------------

Kathy White wrote:
So sorry Cam. I hope it's not too costly. Was it because of using the adapter and it fit too snugly?

Thanks Kathy, stupidity can be a costly endeavour sometimes; I guess I'll know soon enough. As for how/why, I'm not sure entirely. It seems it didn't lock into place on either end of the deal and my hand tightening was excessive I suppose...

Edited on Sep 27, 2015 at 08:55 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2015 at 07:58 AM
grip24
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I guess I was due...

Sorry to hear my friend

Sep 27, 2015 at 08:05 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I guess I was due...

...all I can say is I much favor choice language over neighbors.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM
RickJames
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I guess I was due...

That sucks, I definitely would have trouble constraining myself if that had happened to me back when I owned a 1DsMIII. Loved that camera.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I guess I was due...

Ow, you have my condolences. I hope it's repairable. (I remember snapping off the focus screen on my 1D Mark 4 by mounting an EF-S lens and forgetting to zoom it out some, but I was able to lock it back somehow... Of course, that was very minor comparing to your situation...)

Sep 27, 2015 at 02:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.