FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · The other side of the mountain

georgetd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The other side of the mountain

ben egbert wrote:
Here are a couple more. I lingered after the show. It is typical to get cloud color then light on the mountains and then direct light on the foreground but almost never all at once. Sometimes you get alpenglow and cloud color.

Before the sun hits the land, the exposure is fairly easy and maybe all you need is 1-2 stops to recover. One the sun hits you get shadows until later when it may illuminate everything. But of course by then it is not as interesting.

These shots show show how fast the cloud color dies, it is gone in
...Show more

The second images here (Full sun on the slope) is a pretty good example of one of the problems I think you need to work though. The color of the ground (dirt, or grass) and the color of the trees is too similar. As a result, instead of standing out and being magnificent yellow trees, they blend in.

Sep 27, 2015 at 08:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The other side of the mountain

georgetd wrote:
I'm growing to be rather fond of this image. It's not quite finished yet, but this one is looking pretty good, and it'll be worth the effort. I just got back from a work trip, so I haven't had time to really look at it carefully yet though.

I have one posted at Landscape that has the problem fixed. At least the gamut problem. I found another that I took a bit earlier with less intense color and was able to process it trouble free and it is even 2/3 stop brighter to start with. That makes the image much closer to what I saw in person. But I have not posted it.

But I will be gone for a week so probably won't see this post much unless I get wifi at my room.

Edited on Sep 27, 2015 at 09:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2015 at 09:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The other side of the mountain

georgetd wrote:
The second images here (Full sun on the slope) is a pretty good example of one of the problems I think you need to work though. The color of the ground (dirt, or grass) and the color of the trees is too similar. As a result, instead of standing out and being magnificent yellow trees, they blend in.

Not sure what ground you mean there is nothing there but the yellow brush. This is not aspen, we have scrub oak which is red, and this yellow brush which is covering that hillside.

But in any event, I work pretty hard to get the colors right, get a sharp image and enough contrast, but otherwise I would not make special efforts to separate elements. Maybe in a bird image, but probably not in a landscape.

I don't especially like this image, way too bright, it was an illustration of the changing light. I have grown fond of the softer predawn light. The yellows down't pop as much, but they hold up.

I spent all of 5 minutes processing that one. I will spend hours, or days on some images, going back months later as I learn new stuff. I still have a lot to learn and a limited natural talent. But I also have a sort of preconceived notion that a well taken image ought to be easy to process.

The image of this thread was a special case. It can be processed for print or viewing on a wide gamut monitor in just a few steps, but with sRGB, that image is really a basket case. I wish now I had looked for a less dramatic version first before making a web version.

In case you are wondering, I send 16 bit Prophoto TIFF directly to my Epson 3800. The paper profile (Canson fine art matte) is assigned by Qimage, it will be a bit darker than my NEC2690 wuxi monitor, but the colors will match and nothing will be blown.

Sep 27, 2015 at 09:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.