New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Just a thought!

TR3B
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just a thought!

I've been beating my brains out looking at all the choices of available cameras with all the latest and greatest features and have come to the realization, at least for me, that I need absolutely nothing.

I have a used Leica M8 with a version II 50mm Summilux, a second version 35mm Summicron, a used Canon 5D with an old 28-70mm f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/4L, and a bunch of old Nikon, Olympus OM, and Pentax manual focus lenses that I love.
I've pondered a 6D, Canon 5D MKIII, used M9, used Sony A7II, and even some Fuji offerings. Good god, when does it end.

For those who are professionals and can benefit on the latest and greatest or continuous upgrades, a good time for sure with all the offerings.

I've come to realize what I really need is more skill at composition, understanding of light, and learning to fully utilize the gear I own.
I'm sitting here thinking, "i need to get off my dead ass and get out and enjoy and appreciate how lucky I am to have the gear I have.

Anybody have a Leica M9 they want to get rid of?

Just a thought!

Sep 25, 2015 at 03:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just a thought!

In general, I agree with your discourse. I've been ready to go for a high MPx body for about three years now. What I've seen on the market so far, makes me comfortable to stick with my two 6D (and 1DX and 1DIV).

In particular, I wonder why you posted this on the Canon forum... (?)

Sep 25, 2015 at 03:22 PM
TR3B
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just a thought!

Any way I can move this to general topics or am I stuck here??

Sep 25, 2015 at 07:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just a thought!

I'd use the 'Moderated by: Fred Miranda" link at the top right of the screen to send a PM (personal message) to Fred.

Sep 25, 2015 at 08:07 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just a thought!

TR3B wrote:
For those who are professionals and can benefit on the latest and greatest or continuous upgrades, a good time for sure with all the offerings.

I realize this is anecdotal evidence but I see far more new gear in the hands of amateurs then I do pro's. Still a lot of 1D3's, 1D4's, D3's, and D700's out there in use. Dad's on the sidelines are the ones wielding the D4's, 1DX's, and the version II superteles.

Sep 25, 2015 at 08:21 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just a thought!

ggreene wrote:
I realize this is anecdotal evidence but I see far more new gear in the hands of amateurs then I do pro's. Still a lot of 1D3's, 1D4's, D3's, and D700's out there in use. Dad's on the sidelines are the ones wielding the D4's, 1DX's, and the version II superteles.

That's because Dad is pulling down a 6 figure salary with full benefits and the poor photog is struggling to make payments.

Sep 25, 2015 at 09:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just a thought!

Piffle.

The pros have what they need. The amateurs have what they have. There's no need to make up stories to explain why somebody else has what they have.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:28 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just a thought!

As they say - it's not what you have, it's what you do with it.

I agree with jcolwell post above though.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just a thought!

Had to sell my 6D that did all I needed (and what I wanted it to do) because of a car repair. I just was booked for a dealers conference docu and instead of renting one for the job for 100 €/day plus leaving 1.500 € deposit (wich of cause I did not have) I purchased a new SL1.
It did an excellent job (I shot up to ISO 3200 only). My customer did not even notice the camera change. The only person who did was an invited dealer who shot horrible pics next to me (free of charge with his pro Nikon equipment) 2 years ago.
His comment: "Did it shrink?" I just nodded. We all know when knowledge grows, the size of our tools moves in the background.

Excellent camera, this little wonder.

btw: I agree with jcolwell post above, too. Of course I do. I always do .

Sep 26, 2015 at 04:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just a thought!

Ralph Conway wrote:
btw: I agree with jcolwell post above, too. Of course I do. I always do .

Come on, Ralphi. We both know that's not true. Even I don't agree with all of my posts.

P.S. I agree that the SL1 is an excellent camera. I always agree with what you post.

Sep 26, 2015 at 08:10 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just a thought!

Come on, Jockey ... :-)

Sep 26, 2015 at 03:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.