Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D-III Field Hockey

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D-III Field Hockey

It's been a while since I posted anything. I'm shooting quite a bit and still adjusting to the new life of retirement....which is pretty sweet I must say

Here are a few shots from yesterday's game which I shot a little different from my normal routine. Normally I would use my 400 2.8 or 300 2.8 as my primary lens. I recently ordered a Canon 1.4 III teleconverter to use on my 70-200 2.8 II and my 1DX primarily because the 400 has gotten quite heavy to lug around and after recently turning 60....I'm a bit gassed afterwards .

So I wanted to give this new (for me) set-up a try and I'm really happy with the results. It still gives me the reach but I can also get the close up shots without cutting off the legs or having to transition to another camera trying to manage a 400 on a monopod without losing it. And it gives me a bit more freedom moving around the sidelines (especially with football) with a lighter rig. And I would only be using this setup for daylight events because of the loss of a stop. So overall this was an A+ move for me.

All of the shots except the coin toss were shot with this setup. The coin toss was with the 1DX and Canon 15 2.8 fisheye.

Frank

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D-III Field Hockey

Great shots. Very very clean. Anyway you can slow down the shutter speed so you can get a bit of movement so the shots don't look posed?

Sep 24, 2015 at 02:16 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D-III Field Hockey

Thanks Mikal....I suppose I could show motion blur but the college athletic department who I'm shooting for prefer the sharp images because they use them on brochures, billboards, website etc plus if I want to make a poster with an image it will be easier to do an extraction on something sharp vs something a little blurred.

Sep 24, 2015 at 05:18 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D-III Field Hockey

Tough sport to shoot. I still can't figure it out. Frank... how was the focus speed with the III?

Sep 24, 2015 at 07:33 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D-III Field Hockey

Frank,
I shoot the sa, E setup on my 7dii. You definitely showed patience letting the action come to you, even with my crop 1.6x it often feels shot compared to the 2xiii.

I think the speed of focus is near instant and noticeably faster than ver II of the 1.4x.

Sharp and colorful set.

Guy

Sep 24, 2015 at 09:25 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D-III Field Hockey

Frank, didn't know you were shooting for a school. My mistake. They are still great photos. Maybe take some with a slower shutter speed for yourself and maybe for the young women.

Sep 24, 2015 at 09:46 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D-III Field Hockey

Paul...I also have no clue on what's happening out there. I basically follow the ball. With my 70-200 I didn't notice any decline in the speed but when I use it with my 300 and 400....I notice a twinge of decline but nothing that drastic. I was using Case 4 with the tracking sensitivity set to +2 so the tracking stayed with the subject and locked the focus and I only dropped a few because I drifted off the subject.

Guy....for field hockey I normally work from approx. the 30 yard line in and I normally ask the officials how far they will let me drift to the net. 95% of the action happens from the 40 in so I was able to reach it to mid field in with no trouble, Anything beyond that I rarely shoot across the field....even when I'm using my 400.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:53 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D-III Field Hockey

Frank, You have me worried... I'm only 2 years & a couple months behind you... Nice to see you're human... You have me second guessing my decision in picking up a 600 last summer... Talk about gassed!

Nice set as always! Glad to see you posting!

Sep 26, 2015 at 07:36 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D-III Field Hockey

Ralph one of the other reasons for getting this converter is I'm heading out to SoCal in November to visit my son and since he lives about 80 yards from the beach I figured I would do some surf photography which I did last time I was there and loved it. But I toted my 400 2700 miles and I wasn't doing that again unless I was getting paid and flying first class. So I figured my 7d Mark II and 70-200 and 2 wide angles will be something I can handle.

SO how do you like your 600. I've often thought about getting a 600 but I've turned my interest to travel instead. My wife and I will most likely be purchasing a 5th Wheel RV about this time next year so that plus a truck to pull it will be a big enough expense. The $$$ I would have saved from not buying the 600 will probably a decent down payment...even buying used.

So maybe we can finally meet and have a brewski because the first major trip I want to make is start right after Christmas and make a loop of the US and return in April/May but give it s good kick in the a$$.

Sep 27, 2015 at 07:38 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D-III Field Hockey

Frank Lauri wrote:
Paul...I also have no clue on what's happening out there. I basically follow the ball. .

I'm also clueless on field hockey. My wife actually played the game and knows more than me

Sep 27, 2015 at 06:15 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D-III Field Hockey

Hey Frank, I bought an old 600 F/4 non IS last summer for a great deal here on the B&S forum. Absolutely love it! That being said, I over lens a lot of football from the 25 on in. But the other things you do get more than make up for it. Loved it for my AAA baseball gig. It is a beast of a lens. It changed the way I shoot baseball for the better. The camera doesn't hunt for focus because the subject fills the frame much better. I posted here last summer "say hello to my little friend". If you get up here to Norcal, please, please give me a shout!

Ralph

Sep 27, 2015 at 08:33 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D-III Field Hockey

Looking good Frank, I'm like you, just shot my daughter's Div III game but not shooting much else.

After shooting two girls through HS and now college, I still don't understand the rules...all those whistles

Chris

Sep 28, 2015 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.