Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

Abwkbw

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

I was hired to photograph a 50 mile mountain bike race. The client was looking for some individual rider photos as well as some "artsy stuff". I ended up walking about 1-2 miles into the course before finding this spot. I used a 5d mkIII and 24-70L v1 with on camera flash (580exII on rear curtain sync) and fstoppers flash disc for the first 3 images. I had 3 speedlights available w/ radio triggers but opted to keep it simple for this outing. The shutter speed was a little higher than I would have liked but I was trying to underexpose the background vs. subject. I was somewhere around f/3.2, Iso 320 mainly because I wanted quick recycle times on my flash since the riders come in waves. I'm happy I was able to achieve some motion blur even at 1/200. The last image was shot with 6d and 135L.

Overall, the client was happy with the images. I'm interested in any feedback the group may have and suggestions for things I can improve upon for next time.

Thanks! - Adam

Sep 24, 2015 at 09:16 AM
ian408
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

All fine images but I think the last is my favorite. Can't say exactly why though, it just is.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:38 PM
Kari Post
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

The cornering shots are nice, but I don't particularly love the low angle shot from the side (3rd) one. It just looks too "flashed" to me. The last one is my favorite though. The composition really works, with the rider tiny but perfectly centered and the road lines leading your eyes into the frame. Cool assignment!

Aug 09, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Abwkbw

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. These were shot with a speedlight. I'm looking forward to using the ELB400 with HS during the next race and will work to better balance flash w/ ambient.

Aug 09, 2016 at 12:28 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

Have to agree with the previous poster in that the low angles don't work well with these shots. Not sure if the publication is still around but i used to buy a magazine called Mountain Bike Action. From what I remember, those low shots worked well when the rider was coming more head on up a slope so that it make it look like the rider was going to jump. Also, since a lot of these riders ride for basically parts, you want to make sure the bike is as in focus as the rider themselves so that the equipment they use can easily be identified.

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:47 PM
jk_photo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

1) show more context. Where are these riders coming from? Are they shredding some downhill section? Are there technical bits that they're throwing a lot of "body English" to get around? Just muscled up something steep? Shooting perpendicular to the direction of travel doesn't do a great job of this. Aside from the rather small plumes of dirt under the tires, there's not a great sense of speed either. If they're really railing this corner, I'd slow the shutter a little bit to emphasize that.

2) show more dirt. It's harder in the summer when everything is dry, but these guys look too clean for a mountain bike race. Even in dry conditions, usually dust will start to cake a little bit on sweaty riders.

3) how long was course? If you only walked 1-2 miles, you probably missed a lot. If you aren't a cyclist yourself, this might be asking a lot, but I would TOTALLY do a lap of the course to get an idea of where the photogenic spots are, and where the hard spots are. Ideally, you'll find somewhere that is both.

There could be 1000 lightly sweeping dirt corners that are 1.5 bike lengths long on a mountain bike course. Why'd you pick this one? (That could also go back to 1 if there's context you're not showing).

If you have a mountain bike and a backpack camera bag (or can borrow either) that will also let you move around easier if you wanted to shoot more than one spot during the race, too, if time allows.

Aug 09, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Abwkbw

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

mikeinctown wrote:
Have to agree with the previous poster in that the low angles don't work well with these shots. Not sure if the publication is still around but i used to buy a magazine called Mountain Bike Action. From what I remember, those low shots worked well when the rider was coming more head on up a slope so that it make it look like the rider was going to jump. Also, since a lot of these riders ride for basically parts, you want to make sure the bike is as in focus as the rider themselves so that the equipment
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll work to be more selective with angles and framing. I can certainly look to stop down next time to better ensure all parts of the bike are also in focus.

Aug 10, 2016 at 06:40 AM
Abwkbw

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

jk_photo wrote:
1) show more context. Where are these riders coming from? Are they shredding some downhill section? Are there technical bits that they're throwing a lot of "body English" to get around? Just muscled up something steep? Shooting perpendicular to the direction of travel doesn't do a great job of this. Aside from the rather small plumes of dirt under the tires, there's not a great sense of speed either. If they're really railing this corner, I'd slow the shutter a little bit to emphasize that.

2) show more dirt. It's harder in the summer when everything is dry, but these
...Show more

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You bring up a lot of great points that I hadn't considered. These photos were taken fairly early on in the race course so the riders didn't have much time to get dirty. I can work to add more context next time. I plan to borrow a bike and ride the course ahead of time (although I'm still a novice). The riders are released in waves and part of my challenge is picking a location spot that will allow me to capture ALL of the riders prior to moving to location #2. I agree that using a bike would be the best way to accomplish shooting at more than 1 location.
Thanks!

Aug 10, 2016 at 06:51 AM
Kari Post
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A few MTB pics. feedback welcome

With XC racing, its get a good idea of how many laps riders will do and where the most exciting parts of the course are before the race starts if possible. In most cases, riders will do several laps of the course (usually novice divisions do fewer laps and the pro divisions do more) so you can get an easy, generic shot of each racer to start and then focus your energy on more creative angles.

With smaller races, I have found it helpful to talk to the race director or course organizers ahead of time because they know where the exciting parts are - some of those areas aren't always good for photography because of light or angles, but often their recommendations are good ones.

Aug 10, 2016 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.