New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

I am about to pull the trigger on a 20 year old ED-IF lens with a built-in motor. Can anyone help me about the availability of repair parts especially if the internal motor goes?

Thanks

Sep 23, 2015 at 08:31 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

I think you will be hard pressed for repair parts for the older motors now - most will have to come from salvaged lenses. You could contact KEH though and see what they say. I think its gamble though. Which lens in particular are you looking at?

Sep 24, 2015 at 09:50 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

It's a 400mm f/2.8 ED-IF. Interestingly, the lens in question is being sold by KEH, and so it comes with a 6 month warranty. I will give their repair department a call.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

One thing you can do is buy a MAC warranty along with it. Never used one, but it may give you some additional protection should parts not be available over the next couple of years. I have a 400 2.8 AFS II and have heard that parts for both the AFS (which is the lens I think you are looking at) and AFS II are getting scarce from Nikon, which makes it especially hard for repair shops to obtain, similar to what happened to the AF-I lenses. That said, these lenses typically work for decades without issues so hard to judge when one might potentially fail on you.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

Are you sure the lens has a motor in it? If it is an AF-I lens, there is no motor in it. The body drives the focus via a screw mechanism.

If it is an AF-S, then there is a motor. I would be shocked if they don't stock replacement parts for AF-S lenses. VR lenses haven't been out that long. Many people, myself included, still shoot AF-S lenses.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:27 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

According to KEH and Ken Rockwell the AF-I ED-IF does have a built in motor. It was the precursor to the AF-S motor. The KEH website describes this lens as having "Built-in D/C coreless focus-driving motor"

Nikon 400mm AF-1

In addition to KEH, I have just found another Atlanta based company called Camera Service Co. that tells me that they could service this lens including the internal motor.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

MichGoBlue wrote:
One thing you can do is buy a MAC warranty along with it. Never used one, but it may give you some additional protection should parts not be available over the next couple of years. I have a 400 2.8 AFS II and have heard that parts for both the AFS (which is the lens I think you are looking at) and AFS II are getting scarce from Nikon, which makes it especially hard for repair shops to obtain, similar to what happened to the AF-I lenses. That said, these lenses typically work for decades without issues so hard to
...Show more

I called Nikon Canada about parts for a Nikon 400mm 2.8 AFS II. I was also told that while parts are out there, they are few and far between.

That makes me think the AF-I motors are even more limited in availability..

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:17 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

You may want to contact APS in Morton Grove, Il. (847) 966-4091

Sep 25, 2015 at 02:17 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

film_4ever wrote:
Are you sure the lens has a motor in it? If it is an AF-I lens, there is no motor in it. The body drives the focus via a screw mechanism.

If it is an AF-S, then there is a motor. I would be shocked if they don't stock replacement parts for AF-S lenses. VR lenses haven't been out that long. Many people, myself included, still shoot AF-S lenses.

The AF-I has a built in motor. I owned a 300 AF-I for about 6 years and currently own a 500 AF-I. Don't believe what people who have never owned these lenses will tell you about slow focus. It's just not true. At least that's my opinion comparing to my 70-200 af-s. Which, by the way, I've already had to replace the af-s motor. Have not had any issues as of yet with either of my AF-I lenses. (probably shouldn't have said that)

Sep 25, 2015 at 04:08 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Availability of repair parts for older Nikon lenses

Screw drives are on all the bodies excluding but above the D5xxx series.

Sep 25, 2015 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.