FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Impatien moistened with dew

nnachappa64
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impatien moistened with dew

Hello All,

I'm back with another photo

Since this is the first day of autumn, the nights are already getting colder. As a result, there's some beautiful dew sitting on flowers which I wanted to photograph.

This is my first attempt at macro focus stacking. Stacking was done on photoshop.

Please be harsh with your critique. How can I improve?
What did I get right with this photo?

Looking forward to your responses.

Full Resolution

- Nikhil

Impatien with dew

Edited on Sep 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2015 at 09:50 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impatien moistened with dew

Being that your message is about the dew I think you did a nice job on your composition and choice of DOF for your focal stack. I might have pushed the focus back just a little further beyond the center of the flower. Colors and tonality look correct to me as well.

If the message were to be more about the flower with dew on it then you would want to carry your focal all the way from the front to the rear most portion of the flower.

Keep in mind that this is just my personal thoughts. There will be others that would like to see everything in perfect focus. But to me this is an image about the dew not the flower.

Dave

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impatien moistened with dew

I agree, it does not all need to be in focus, but I want the leading edges of the petals in focus and start to soften as you get past the major ew drops.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Impatien moistened with dew

lighthound wrote:
Being that your message is about the dew I think you did a nice job on your composition and choice of DOF for your focal stack. I might have pushed the focus back just a little further beyond the center of the flower. Colors and tonality look correct to me as well.

If the message were to be more about the flower with dew on it then you would want to carry your focal all the way from the front to the rear most portion of the flower.

Keep in mind that this is just my personal thoughts. There will be others
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
I agree, it does not all need to be in focus, but I want the leading edges of the petals in focus and start to soften as you get past the major ew drops.

Hi Dave and Ben,

Thank you for critique. I agree, with having more in focus. I want to repeat this photograph and want to know what mistakes to avoid the next time I do it. This was shot at f/8, and a stack of 3 images (if I remember correct).

Do you think it would be better if I went to f/5.6, included more shots (may be 10 images) where each portion is in focus?

Ben,
Now that I look at it, I agree about the leading edge of the petal to be in focus.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Impatien moistened with dew

Good start, Nikhil!

Like others have mentioned, more DOF would help here. You did a good job with bits of dew currently in focus, but if that is the main subject I'd like to see more.

I'd stick with f/8 and just increase the number of images - maybe look to try 5 or 6?

Just remember that since you're dealing with a shorter subject length your focal plane got a LOT thinner, so you'll need to either stop down or take more shots at shorter increments.

Have fun!

Jeff

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Impatien moistened with dew

Sorry, zero experience with photo stacking but I agree with the others about DOF.
Still, very nice image and I look forward to seeing more. The weather will continue to cooperate.
46 this AM for me.

Scott

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:27 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.