New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

kobyrne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

I will soon be spending a week in Key West, and while I'm extremely excited about the sunset possibilities (and the Key Lime pies...), I'm wondering what else I should be looking out for? Is sunrise worth getting up for in Key West? Any "can't miss" landscape/cityscape spots I should know about? Any other advice for a first-timer in the Florida Keys?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2015 at 09:48 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

I've only been there a couple times so i'm sure there are more qualified people for advice. there are some nice houses to take picture of, there is a light house in town, but it's a bit difficult to get a nice shot of since it's surrounded by other buildings. You can't get great sunset shots on the South side as much because of the military base-i haven't really tried other places though. i would suggest driving up and down the keys-there are some nice road side parks and if you shoot birds-there are many opportunities for those. The key lime pie stands are o'k, but my wife makes them better-so not that big of draw for me. Street photography is fun because there are plenty of different people/personalities in the area.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 PM
kobyrne

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

Thanks for the suggestions. It's too bad that the south side beaches aren't the best spots, since the house we're staying at is near Southernmost Point. But the island isn't too huge, so I should be able to get to the west side easily enough. I'll plan to do that. Maybe the moonsets will be good on the west side, too.

As for Key Lime pie, you can't dull my excitement there! I love pie! Though I will keep in mind that there may be even better stuff available in North Dakota.

Sep 24, 2015 at 02:27 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

You didn't say when you'll be in Key West, if it's December or later I should have some suggestions for you by then as we'll be in Key West for 3 days starting the end of November. I've been to Key West a number of times over the years but this will be the first time I've been there with photography on my mind.

I can second JohnBrose's suggestion to drive up and down the keys. We did that last time and we'll be doing it again this time as we're driving all the way down there again. Lots of great shots along that drive, my favorite was of the old Bahia Honda Rail Bridge near the Bahia Honda Key.

Sep 25, 2015 at 03:15 PM
kobyrne

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll be driving there from Fort Lauderdale, so I'll try to take in the scenery as we go. Especially near Bahia Honda Key! The reason I was asking about Key West specifically is that I figure I can get away from the family for an hour or two at a time, but not for a half-day drive. However, if something looks nice enough, I'll try to make a day trip out of it.

I'll be there before you. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sep 25, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Smurph
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

Edited on Oct 03, 2015 at 08:18 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:07 AM
Smurph
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Key West--my first time in the Florida Keys

You're in for a treat. Driving the 100 miles of the Overseas Highway all the way to Key West takes you over 42 bridges connecting all the keys together. Truly spectacular. The American Bahama's by road.
I try to time it for low tide; you'll have much more color in the water & corals. A good breezy day makes it milkshake y & cloudy. The major bridges usually have parks at each end and abrupt pullouts but be careful; there is no real signage and it's a high speed road and drivers often are sightseeing too and not watching traffic. A few bridges have been replaced and the old ones left for as fishing piers so more opportunities to stop & shoot. Just north of Duck Key is another long fishing bridge.
In Islamorada Anne's Beach is a popular stop; also has a walkway through the mangroves. And the bridge just south of it.
A must stop is the Old 7 Mile Bridge bay side as you depart Marathon; it has an abrupt turnoff which if you miss means a 14 mile detour to return to it. On a calm day you might see turtles & tarpon below. The Sunset Grill on the ocean side of the road is a popular sunset happy hour stop.
Big Pine has the free roaming Key Deer; they're everywhere and big fines if you hit one; watch posted speed signs strictly enforced. Poke around to No Name Key to see more of them.
Bahia Honda State Park has great sandy beaches and you can walk a bit an old original metal bridge. Scenic views. Great day trip from Key West.
You could easily spend an entire long day driving/exploring these 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West. An overnight stop in Marathon mm 50 would spread it out nicely.
Departing from Marathon to Key West after 3pm means sun in your eyes the whole trip; yuk.
Enjoy the Keys! Study your maps well before arrival.

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.