Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

DmitriM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

Anyone else has this issue?
When I am shooting at 35-45C(in the shade), the rubber zoom ring on this lens comes out because the shitty glue they used isnt' heat resistant so once it heats up, it just detaches from the lens AND stretches out enough that it is my larger in diameter and kind of wobbles there until it cools down. Once it is cooled down, everything comes back to normal. They key is to notice it and put the rubber back in place on time. Because if it cools down while it is not in the right position, you are screwed.
It had happened with 70-200IS II once or twice, but mostly happens with the 24L II.

I am just trying to think of something to fix this? Should I perhaps find some kind of heat resistant glue that doesn't melt in hot weather?

Sep 22, 2015 at 07:30 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

Yes, same issue with my 24-70 II. I was thinking to service it, but then again, it doesn't bother me so much that I would want to pay very much to have it fixed...

Sep 22, 2015 at 07:46 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

I had the rubber ring stretch and come loose on my old 16-35 f/2.8 version 1, but not on any of my other lenses. I replaced the floppy rubber ring with the tough grippy black tape used on stair treads. Worked great for years and looked so good I actually found a buyer for the lens when I sold it!

Sep 22, 2015 at 07:58 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

35-45C in the shade is really hot but it can get even hotter than that in the SouthWest desert. I live and shoot in Florida and it doesn't get nearly that hot but the humidity is more of a challenge than high temperature. I haven't had any problems with any of my lenses but I try to stay out of the direct sun in the summer time here. I'll be watching out to see if there is any loosening of the rubber grips when I go out.

Sep 22, 2015 at 08:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

I've never seen this with any of my Canon gear up to 35-40 C ambient temperatures (and obviously the gear gets a lot hotter than that sitting in the car on hot days). My Nikon gear is a different story; the grips fall off the cameras, and the rubber zoom and focusing rings come loose when things get warm.

Maybe Canon has changed to a different type of glue with the newer lenses (or global warming is just getting worse...)? They can't really use a permanent glue, because those grips have to come off in order to service the lenses.

Sep 22, 2015 at 09:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

I've used my 70-200/2.8L IS II in 43 deg C (in shade) for extended periods with no rubber issues. It's from the first batch available in Canada.

Sep 22, 2015 at 09:20 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

24-70L II. Same cheap garbage assembly.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

Oahu may not be as hot as Canada but I often leave my gear on a tripod in the blazing sun while shooting surfing or waves and the focus and zoom rubber is fine. However, I often have a white towel over the works to protect from salt spray and hours of direct sun. Wear a towel on my head too if I forget my hat...

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:10 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

I haven't seen this here, but I don't have any of the specific lenses mentioned.

I've used my Canon Ls quite a few times around 39-42°C here in Melbourne. But we don't get humidity with the heat. 35° isn't considered that hot here, and I wouldn't even think twice about shooting on a day like that other than to make sure I had water, sunscreen and a hat. Above 42° and I try to be inside.

Canon routinely test their equipment pre-release at the Australian Open. Famously, someone once fried an egg on the surface of the main court on national television.

Epoxy resins do get flexible and soften above around 50°C, returning to hardness when the temperatiure drops. One thing I never do is leave a lens in a car if it's above around 25°C outside, and at higher temperatures that means around 50°C inside the car.

Edited on Sep 23, 2015 at 05:27 AM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:47 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

Well, to follow up on this, it doesn't happen in Canada often as weather in here is pretty cold these days in the summer time( sweaters in July cold...)
The issue with the ring happens mostly in other places on earth, and humidity is definitely plays a role here as sometimes it is so humid, I am soaked after 10-15 minutes outside.

If ring is to be taken while lens is being serviced, then why have the rubber ring at all??!!
They could very easily make the ring plastic or rubberized plastic and screw or snap it that to the lens. It's not like it really needs to be rubber, it's not a racing tire... which requires a good grip.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

The newer lenses do have a thinner rubber than previously, and it isn't glued down, it just has some tacky stickum on the back (rubber is never glued down on any lens that I'm aware of). The new rings do stretch but it's not particularly heat related. We replace just as many in the winter as in the summer.

The rings can be bought from Canon parts for $6 I believe. I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of time trying to fix them, just buy a new one. It's less than a lens cap and takes about 15 seconds to replace.

Sep 23, 2015 at 05:20 AM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

I have never had any of the rubber zoom or focus glued. I remove them every so often to wash them and clean them properly. They are just tight fitting. So there is no glue coming undone it sounds like if they are using thinner rubber it's just getting hot enough to stretch more and slip out of its area.

Sep 23, 2015 at 08:30 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

05xrunner wrote:
I have never had any of the rubber zoom or focus glued. I remove them every so often to wash them and clean them properly. They are just tight fitting. So there is no glue coming undone it sounds like if they are using thinner rubber it's just getting hot enough to stretch more and slip out of its area.

There's definitely some kind of sticky substance(glue) on the lenses I have.

Sep 23, 2015 at 09:44 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

RCicala wrote:
The newer lenses do have a thinner rubber than previously, and it isn't glued down, it just has some tacky stickum on the back (rubber is never glued down on any lens that I'm aware of). The new rings do stretch but it's not particularly heat related. We replace just as many in the winter as in the summer.

The rings can be bought from Canon parts for $6 I believe. I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of time trying to fix them, just buy a new one. It's less than a lens cap and takes about 15 seconds
...Show more

Thank you for the information. So these new rings, would they come with this sticky goo already on the back or do I have to buy it separately from them or somewhere else?

Sep 23, 2015 at 09:49 AM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

My 24-105L 70-200 and 85 none of them have any sticky stuff on them. Maybe it's something they are doing wit the mkII lenses. Don't know

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

The rings do not use glue. Did you buy the lens used? Putting glue on it will make it worse, since the solvents cause the rubber to lose its stretch.

Get one from Canon, clean off any glue, and put it on. Its just a glorified rubber band. As Canon nicely, and they may send you one free. You can buy them on ebay, but the price will probably be higher.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcanon+70-200mm+L+rubber+ring.TRS0&_nkw=canon+70-200mm+L+rubber+ring&_sacat=0

Sep 23, 2015 at 02:50 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon lenses issue: zoom rubber melts and comes out during hot weather

DmitriM wrote:
Thank you for the information. So these new rings, would they come with this sticky goo already on the back or do I have to buy it separately from them or somewhere else?

It's not really a glue, just a bit of a tacky finish to help keep it slipping when you turn the ring. It's on the ring, not the rubber, so it will still be there after a change. There's no glue on zoom or focus rubber. If there is, someone was trying to make stretched out rubber stick - and it doesn't work anyway.

Sep 23, 2015 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.