Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

hvu2012
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

I was wondering if anyone has used 5Ds/r in the wedding? what's your opinion?
thanks.

Sep 21, 2015 at 08:46 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Yep .... shot 2 weddings with the 5DS+grip.

Pretty impressed. A little better latitude to files than the 5DIII.
Maybe 1/2 stop. (Dependant on ISO - lower better than 5DIII, higher ISO same as 5DIII with no banding)

Really noticed the detail in certain shots... like shots of the dress.
I liked the output of portrait shots (Bride with her court, bride in dress, etc.)
I did notice times of too much detail on the face when up close. Not good for ladies with large pores.

Is there a big difference between the 5DIII and 5DS .... no ... not some huge monumental difference. I could look at images prior to editing and notice the sharpness of the image from the 5DS.

The shutter felt fantastic..... close to the 5DIII in silent mode.
ISO 3200 is very usable unless you are lost on some noise kick....
So is 4000. The 5DIII probably a touch better here. I would need to go back and look.
AF is solid. I do not remember any issues anyways.

Battery life is limited unless you grip it.... then 2 batteries will last a full day.

I would shoot Med file size for most of the wedding. Portraits I would use full size.

Will I pick one up.... I am leaning towards a yes. Mainly for bridal/portrait sessions.
Is it a must have .... probably not for the majority of shooters.

The 5DIV will be the camera body for wedding shooters.

-Mark

Sep 21, 2015 at 09:37 PM
kirstin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

I use them, alongside the 5d3.

Here's some of my findings.

Battery dies loads faster that 5d3. I've never got through two batteries at a wedding with the 5dsr but I have come close.

Image review is tooooo slow for the pace I work. My biggest gripe.

When editing the 5d3 + 5dsr files together there is a massive difference in colour so the same preset doesn't work. The 5dsr has amazing colour and makes the 5d3 look crappy.

I haven't had 1 single problem moire on the 5dsr. It's just ultra sharp.

I don't like the sound of the 5dsr shutter. It's just a lame noise.

Most of these were shot with it:
http://www.kirstinprisk.co.uk/emma-josh-newdowns-farm-wedding-st-agnes/

Almost all of these were shot with it:
http://www.kirstinprisk.co.uk/katie-ben-lantallack-wedding-cornwall/

The 5k imac/lightroom CC can't even begin to handle these files in bulk. Its like I've gone back to 2004...very stressfull when you're in the hole for 10000 images..

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Yep !
Amazing tool for wedding and portrait photographer.
One advice. If your computer is 2 years or older, better upgrade your computer first,
also if your CF card is 3 years or older get new CF card with max write-speed on the marker today or
you will be very disappointed with this camera designed for Pro-protographer whom have the needed
for larger print.

Sep 23, 2015 at 01:35 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

How many images are you guys able to take on say, a 64GB card?

Sep 23, 2015 at 05:41 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

ZachOly wrote:
How many images are you guys able to take on say, a 64GB card?

I got mid 300's on a 32gig. (@ full res)

-Mark

Sep 23, 2015 at 07:11 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

I'm really glad everyone is on board with high resolution cameras now. There are real advantages to high resolution images. Not everyone needs it, but for those of us who do, it's nice to have the option coming from several brands. I had to tune out most of my friends and mentors when we switched from the 5D2 to the D800. It was just endless ridicule, haha!

Regarding cards, we shoot dual 64gb cards and only need to switch once per wedding day. And the new version of LR makes helps the files process quick enough. Really no problem at all if you have a fairly recent setup with an i7, Mac or PC.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Honest question: what's the advantage of having a 50MP camera for wedding work?

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:09 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I'm really glad everyone is on board with high resolution cameras now. There are real advantages to high resolution images. Not everyone needs it, but for those of us who do, it's nice to have the option coming from several brands. I had to tune out most of my friends and mentors when we switched from the 5D2 to the D800. It was just endless ridicule, haha!

What IS the advantage for weddings?

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Indescribable detail. Cropability. Massive prints and print quality. Stunning on large displays. Data rich raw files that can pushed incredibly far in post. Those come to mind off the top of my head. But I'm speaking as a Nikon shooter

Sep 23, 2015 at 01:25 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Indescribable detail. Cropability. Massive prints and print quality. Stunning on large displays. Data rich raw files that can pushed incredibly far in post.

All of those things can be and are obtainable in smaller file sizes but without having to push and store all that massive data. I've never had a wedding client (talking weddings here not some other genre) order a print so large that my 8, 12 or 16mp file could not produce for them. I would absolutely hate having to mess with 50mp files as a wedding photographer.

Sep 23, 2015 at 01:31 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Really, the 5DS/R is just a tool.
Each of us have to choose what tool(S) we want to use or not.
Decide on what tools we use.
Including is the financial impact to the bottom line.

The 5DIII can not give the same resolution as a 5DSR.
So there may be some shooters that want the resolution.

As far as file size and back-end processing ... really not an issue if you understand the different possibilities to workflows.

-Mark

Sep 23, 2015 at 01:59 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

I don't know, I'm happy with the 24MP I have now. I suppose one could always shoot mRAW.

But personally, I wouldn't want clients to even be able to zoom in at that level.

Sep 23, 2015 at 02:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Ziffl3 wrote:
Really, the 5DS/R is just a tool.
Each of us have to choose what tool(S) we want to use or not.
Decide on what tools we use.
Including is the financial impact to the bottom line.

That all goes without saying.

Ziffl3 wrote:
The 5DIII can not give the same resolution as a 5DSR.
So there may be some shooters that want the resolution.

...and that may be but it's not needed for weddings or portrait work. A new photographer can get discouraged about the cost of all this stuff when in reality if they don't need to spend the money to have this level of gear.

Ziffl3 wrote:
As far as file size and back-end processing ... really not an issue if you understand the different possibilities to workflows.

-Mark

Again, lots of photographers don't know this especially new ones but you will have to learn real fast if you go out and purchase a camera for shooting weddings with file sizes that are 36, 40 or 50mp. Because, as most of us here know, a lot of systems can not handle those kinds of files. So if you buy a camera with smaller file sizes you may not have to upgrade your computer at the same time like you would with these MP heavy cameras.

Sep 23, 2015 at 02:31 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

....learn your craft. Part of learning your craft is understanding why you buy the tools you do.

Yes... the entry cost into wedding photography has been lowered through-out the years....
It is a business. Not my issue if somebody new does not understand the cost of doing business.

Wedding photography is a whimsical choice for a business. Meaning, it looks like fun (looking as a guest at a wedding on the weekend) ... easy side job to do. Turns out, it is a business and needs to be treated as much.

-Mark

Sep 23, 2015 at 02:43 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

This thread is all:

Hey I've got a hi res camera and I find it useful, good times

VS

Hi res cameras are useless and won't help anybody, grrrr

Sep 23, 2015 at 07:14 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Thanks all for great info. Some of you mentioned about upgrading computer if using 5Ds/r. My question: If you use mRaw (24 mp), can old computer (let say 2 years old) handle it? I never need more than what 5DIII can offer, but 50mp can be handy when i want to print large canvas like 24x36.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

Super fast cards are kind of a must in my experience with the 5DS. My old Sandisk 30mb/s cards worked just fine on a 5D3, and I rarely hit the buffer, and playback was just as fast as any other card. But on the 5DS, those old cards struggle to keep up at all. I bought some 120mb/s cards and its back to normal.

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:29 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

hvu2012 wrote:
Thanks all for great info. Some of you mentioned about upgrading computer if using 5Ds/r. My question: If you use mRaw (24 mp), can old computer (let say 2 years old) handle it? I never need more than what 5DIII can offer, but 50mp can be handy when i want to print large canvas like 24x36.

The workflow that worked for me is using smart-preview when editing.
Then go back to original for making jpg.

I have a middle of the pack PC....
i7-3770 (non-K)
16 gig RAM
2x SSD HD A) OS B) scratch/workspace space

Fire Pro W5100 graphics card.

The graphics card and 2nd (B) SSD are recent additions (last 4/6 months)
I edit my own weddings and large - multi day indian weddings.

-Mark

Sep 24, 2015 at 08:27 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone use 5Ds/r in wedding yet?

hvu2012 wrote:

Many labs don't require full res files to make large prints. For example Simply Color wants 100 ppi files for ordering canvases from them. Many of the large format printers have really good software for up-resing.

Sep 24, 2015 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.