New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

Hey guys, after a lot of discussion on what messenger/lens changing bag to buy, I purchased the Tenba DNA 15 Messenger. Here is my review: http://thebrotographer.com/reviews/tenba-dna-15-messenger-bag/

Sep 21, 2015 at 06:12 PM
vextopher

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

I really like that you can get to (or put away) your camera through the zipper at the top. I've been looking into messenger bags and am now adding Tenba (DNA 11) to the list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the bag.

Sep 22, 2015 at 02:10 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

vextopher wrote:
I really like that you can get to (or put away) your camera through the zipper at the top. I've been looking into messenger bags and am now adding Tenba (DNA 11) to the list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the bag.

To be honest, that is the singular feature that sets this bag apart from the rest. It's an awesome bag, but that top zipper that allows you to get the camera out while the bag is closed is absolutely genius. Thanks for taking a look at the review.

Sep 22, 2015 at 04:45 AM
pontmercy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

just got this bag in cobalt today from tenba after returning a recently purchased (in june) large tenba messenger that had some problems (velcro weak, mis-sewn/crooked bottom panel). Tenba/Mac Group company was great to deal with and (this was in August) agreed to replace with the DNA15. Unfortunately they had some production issues with the cobalt and orange versions so it just finally arrived.

It's nice and holds my Nikon Df, SB-600, 70-300, 85, 50, 18-35 plus bits and bobs easily, although, inherent to the design of messengers, it's a little tubby through the middle all packed up.

The quality is the best I've seen from Tenba... of course come December, all this will be for not since I just backed the Peak Design Everyday Messenger Kickstarter project! I'll likely be selling this DNA15 after only a few months of use.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:50 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

Well if you do decide to sell it, someone will be a happy customer.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

ross.thomas wrote:
To be honest, that is the singular feature that sets this bag apart from the rest. It's an awesome bag, but that top zipper that allows you to get the camera out while the bag is closed is absolutely genius. Thanks for taking a look at the review.

It's a nice feature although it's been around for a long time and not uncommon. My F-Stop Bandon Beach and ancient LowePro Stealth Reporter both have a top zipper.

Sep 23, 2015 at 07:32 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

Gochugogi wrote:
It's a nice feature although it's been around for a long time and not uncommon. My F-Stop Bandon Beach and ancient LowePro Stealth Reporter both have a top zipper.

Has been around for ages and is scratchy and catchy too. Make sure you have a decent grip on your cam before pulling it out from the jaws.

Sep 23, 2015 at 07:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

Paul Mo wrote:
Has been around for ages and is scratchy and catchy too. Make sure you have a decent grip on your cam before pulling it out from the jaws.

Agreed, too scratchy for pulling out a camera but okay for tossing in sun glasses. TSA seems to like it for inserting probes.

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

I've got to disagree with you guys. I love the opening, and it doesn't seem to scratch anything.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM
pontmercy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

I have used, professionally, the older Tenba messenger with the far rougher zipper (plastic not metal) for several years shooting weddings... NEVER had a problem with my gear being scratched or hung up EVER. Ridiculous observation based on zero facts.

Hey Ross, I had a session yesterday using the new DNA15 since getting it. I don't know how they did it but I was able to fit more gear in it than my LARGE Tenba Messenger I was just using! Plus, I thought I wouldn't like the shoulder strap, it's not as beefy as the old one but, color me amazed, it was just the right size and comfort for the weight of three lenses, Nikon Df, SB600 flash plus bits and bobs! Very impressed with the bag.

Also, in the past I've always silenced the velcro but this velcro, although makes noise opening (and if I'm doing a wedding ceremony I'll always silence or not use a bag), it's far quieter than the older versions.

I think Tenba did a great job on this bag. Plus it looks like a regular messenger, I didn't scream PHOTOGRAPHER while having a few brews at the Flying Saucer afterwards.

Sep 28, 2015 at 05:37 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

pontmercy wrote:
I have used, professionally, the older Tenba messenger with the far rougher zipper (plastic not metal) for several years shooting weddings... NEVER had a problem with my gear being scratched or hung up EVER. Ridiculous observation based on zero facts.

Hey Ross, I had a session yesterday using the new DNA15 since getting it. I don't know how they did it but I was able to fit more gear in it than my LARGE Tenba Messenger I was just using! Plus, I thought I wouldn't like the shoulder strap, it's not as beefy as the old one but, color me amazed,
...Show more

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I'm not sure why people say they're gear was scratched. That has not been the case for me either. You seriously can fit a ton of gear in it. It's quite astonishing.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

pontmercy wrote:

Ridiculous observation based on zero facts? No more "ridiculous" your your observations. We have different gear, habits, physical strength and body sizes so no one person's experiences are the same. I am not your clone. My experience of wrestling a DSLR with L-bracket through a small zippered slit on my Lowepro and F-Stop bags was awkward. And, yes, after a couple weeks of regular use the popup flash on my 70D suffered many hairline scratches from the plastic zipper teeth. Perhaps a metal camera would fare better or maybe the Tenba opens wider than my Lowepro and F-Stop. Love the F-Stop bag (Bandon Beach) otherwise but I only use the zippered slit for small objects like filters.

Sep 30, 2015 at 01:51 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My review of the bag you guys led me to buy

Gochugogi wrote:
Ridiculous observation based on zero facts? No more "ridiculous" your your observations. We have different gear, habits, physical strength and body sizes so no one person's experiences are the same. I am not your clone. My experience of wrestling a DSLR with L-bracket through a small zippered slit on my Lowepro and F-Stop bags was awkward. And, yes, after a couple weeks of regular use the popup flash on my 70D suffered many hairline scratches from the plastic zipper teeth. Perhaps a metal camera would fare better or maybe the Tenba opens wider than my Lowepro and F-Stop. Love the
...Show more

Yeah the Tenba's slit opens super wide. You shouldn't have an issue with it.

Oct 01, 2015 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.