New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · MagMod or other light diffusers

nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MagMod or other light diffusers

I will be using 2 off camera flashes for portraits and want to get pretty creative. I am new to using off camera flash and came across MagMod....any thoughts on this vrs another system that is small and portable that offers those options for light diffusers?

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:47 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MagMod or other light diffusers

Search the wedding forum. A lot of guys there use them and there are some threads. The inventor used to be really active in that forum.

Sep 21, 2015 at 01:08 PM
nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MagMod or other light diffusers

OK cool...thank you

Sep 21, 2015 at 01:10 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MagMod or other light diffusers

Don't exact these flash addons to do an awful lot to the light other than spray it around. You are best looking at softboxes designed for speedlights or umbrellas.

Sep 21, 2015 at 02:08 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MagMod or other light diffusers

The Magmod doesn't just offer a diffuser. It also has a system of gels, grid and snoot. If someone is using a magmod it doesn't necessarily mean that they are diffusing. I don't own the setup but a lot of people seem to be happy with the convenience.

Sep 21, 2015 at 02:27 PM
nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MagMod or other light diffusers

Mark_L wrote:
Don't exact these flash addons to do an awful lot to the light other than spray it around. You are best looking at softboxes designed for speedlights or umbrellas.

Any recommendations for a portable sturdy soft box that will be used outside?

Sep 22, 2015 at 01:31 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MagMod or other light diffusers

This is one that I use except mine came with a 20" grid which is a VERY underrated tool for light control when people talk about modifiers. Too bad it no longer comes with it. It's probably not going to be as sturdy as a Westcott, Lastolite, etc.. but for the price it's hard to beat. Mine has held up for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Photo-Speedlite-Softbox-L-Bracket/dp/B002ZY4GTU/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442926782&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=20%22+softbox+grid+speedlight

When there is no wind at all my preference is to use my Westcott 43" Apollo Orb but it is useless in the wind. The rectangular Apollo softboxes might be a good bet for something sturdier. The only drawback to them is that you put the flash completely INSIDE the softbox so you need a remote power control option if you don't want to be reaching into it all the time. I use a Phottix Odin to control my flashes. The upside is that the Apollo line are all VERY efficient with the light that you give them.

brad

Sep 22, 2015 at 08:29 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MagMod or other light diffusers

nicknick23 wrote:
Any recommendations for a portable sturdy soft box that will be used outside?

Not sure how study you want but Lastolite Ezybox and Westcott Apollo (or their copies) are good softboxes for speedlights since they don't require any real assembly.

Sep 22, 2015 at 04:57 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MagMod or other light diffusers

This is a speed light and softliter

http://i.imgur.com/d5I46Yj.jpg

As mentioned magmods have good uses but not really good for diffusion

Sep 22, 2015 at 06:48 PM
nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MagMod or other light diffusers

jeremy_clay wrote:
This is a speed light and softliter

http://i.imgur.com/d5I46Yj.jpg

As mentioned magmods have good uses but not really good for diffusion

Hey thanks for the example and tip on the diffusion for the magmod....that helps

Sep 23, 2015 at 03:34 AM
nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MagMod or other light diffusers

Mark_L wrote:
Not sure how study you want but Lastolite Ezybox and Westcott Apollo (or their copies) are good softboxes for speedlights since they don't require any real assembly.

Thanks for this info...I took a look at the brands...very sturdy looking. Thanks for the help

Sep 23, 2015 at 03:35 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.