FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

roythegreat
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

Tried to capture the canyon land icons little differently.
Let me know if this works

I am attaching two more images as per suggestions

# 3: reprocessed # 2 with lesser contest handling at the mid-tone tonal ranges
# 4: the image straight out of camera with 0 processing to give a feeling how the red was captured in the original image.

As you can see from # 4 the red in the left side rocks in the ledge already looks like blown.
Let me know what more can be done

reprocessed with lesser adjustment on contrast etc

unprocessed- just web sharpening and size reduction

Edited on Sep 21, 2015 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2015 at 07:28 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

I like the Mesa Arch image....without the typical starburst.

Sep 21, 2015 at 09:10 AM
roythegreat
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

Thanks Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 09:34 AM
Rockskipper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

The second one is very cool. Very nice light. I'm kind of burned out on Mesa Arch, but you did a nice job of capturing it from a different vantage.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

The second one, the reds are totally blown out.

Sep 21, 2015 at 02:21 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

They both work, not because you tried to do something different, but because they are well done.

#1 is a very nice image. It is still a 'classic' view, but it's a great capture and I like it.
#2 is great as well. Maybe seems a bit hot and over sharpened on my work monitor.

Take all these images for yourself. Don't do it differently for others just to be different.
Shame that one could become 'burned out' by such a wonderful place.

David

Sep 21, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Rockskipper

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

I live in Moab part of the year, so yeah, Mesa Arch is kind of burned into my retina at this point. There are so many other wonderful places nearby that no one notices. But yes, take the images for yourself, no one else.

Sep 21, 2015 at 03:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

Hey Roy,

Both are nice views, but as Craig pointed out, the reds are blown out. Be careful with the Saturation Button, from what I have been seeing with your shots there is a tendency you have to press it just a little bit too much. Are you working with a calibrated monitor? Perhaps you aren't seeing the blown reds like we are?

Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 03:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

Rockskipper wrote:
I live in Moab part of the year, so yeah, Mesa Arch is kind of burned into my retina at this point. There are so many other wonderful places nearby that no one notices. But yes, take the images for yourself, no one else.

You are new here, and it looks like you have some great insights, but can I suggest you don't be "that guy" who knocks all the iconic views just because you have had your fill of them? We have a couple of guys in here who sadly try to make people feel guilty or like they are less of a photographer because they are shooting a popular or iconic location. Don't be that guy. For lot's of people they are still fresh discoveries, or for some of us those icons never lose their special appeal.

My suggestion when you comment (and it's great to have people commenting) is to try and set aside your burnt out feeling on an iconic location, and simply assess the shot from whether it's a good shot or not.

And it sounds like you get out and shoot more out of the way locations, I know many of us will look forward to seeing some different shots too. While I know I don't tire of the icons, I also enjoy seeing photos from different locations, perhaps locations lesser seen or known.

Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 03:48 PM
roythegreat
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

Hi Jim,

Yes, I realized the blown out comments are getting common across my posts. Problem is I am never playing with the saturation button.
I am using the luminosity masks for my processing.
I am doing a step of selecting the mid tones and creating a layer mask for mid tone lever 3 and then creating a level correction to set the white point, black point etc through the level settings.
I intend to create more contrast on the images for this but I guess that step is somehow saturating the image too

Sep 21, 2015 at 03:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

roythegreat wrote:
Hi Jim,

Yes, I realized the blown out comments are getting common across my posts. Problem is I am never playing with the saturation button.
I am using the luminosity masks for my processing.
I am doing a step of selecting the mid tones and creating a layer mask for mid tone lever 3 and then creating a level correction to set the white point, black point etc through the level settings.
I intend to create more contrast on the images for this but I guess that step is somehow saturating the image too

Hey Roy,

Glad to hear that with the saturation, all it means is that you have to watch that and then desaturate some areas. Reds are notorious for being easily blown out. It's not uncommon on my shots that simply by adding contrast that reds for example can end up getting blown out, so usually I do those adjustments with an underlying untouched layer (by the contrast) and then just paint back in a bit of the areas where the reds got blown at. Often once I do that, I might go back and add just a touch of contrast to that lower layer to make sure it does feel right for the scene but I keep it less then being blown out.

While not exactly what you are doing, the principle hopefully makes sense. I am sure I could had said it in less words somehow...

Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 04:03 PM
roythegreat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canyonland- different takes- Updated

Jim, amazing. I will try this new trick today and repost when I am back from work

As always s I am grateful to you to provide really cool and useful suggestions

Sep 21, 2015 at 04:07 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.