FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · North End of Wrangell St. Elias national park

tazmans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · North End of Wrangell St. Elias national park

I just returned from our annual road trip up north chasing the fall colors along the Alcan highway. About halfway between Glennallen and Tok junction is a 40 mile gravel cut off that goes out to the village of Nebesna in the remote northern portion of Wrangell St. Elias national park. It was my first time out on this road and was more in the explore mode but I will now be returning after the initial views I witnessed. It was so beautiful out there and a little bit technical to traverse. I had to cross three creeks with the 4x4 to get out there and you risk a chance of being stuck if the rains swell the rivers up. Still, worth the risk. What a neat area.
This is out towards the end and it was for the most part cloudy but the sun kept poking through and illuminated some of the walls while snow squalls also moved in and around the peaks. I shot in this one spot for about two hours hoping to find some magic. I wish I could have stayed all day to see what might have been. This is what I ended up with.
http://www.pbase.com/tazman0895/image/161345002.jpg

Second image is from the same place as I waited: The boreal forest of black spruce with its carpet of mossy tundra made for a nice foreground:

http://www.pbase.com/tazman0895/image/161345007.jpg

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · North End of Wrangell St. Elias national park

Very, very nice. I wish I could make the trip but am afraid my camper is just too heavy for miles of bad roads.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Rockskipper

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · North End of Wrangell St. Elias national park

I was up there in June/July and drove that same road. You really captured the feel of the place. It's immense wilderness and feels very wild. A true destination with some big peaks and untouched beauty.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:13 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · North End of Wrangell St. Elias national park

Hey Ron,

Very nicely done here. 2 very authentic feeling shots, and it looks well worth another visit.

Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 01:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · North End of Wrangell St. Elias national park

Sounds like you were really motivated! Risky travel but rewarding.

Nicely done but I think more pano crops to eliminate some of the foreground would be more aesthetic.

My two cents.

Scott

Sep 21, 2015 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.