New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A few Olympus E-M1 questions

ELinder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few Olympus E-M1 questions

I'm slowly getting more comfortable with my new E-M1 camera, but I've noticed a few things.

When I format the SD card, the camera doesn't name the card or folder? On my Nikon it's set to name the folder the camera model.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the 2 right dials? I find when carrying the camera I frequently change the exposure compensation or the aperture without knowing it when I bump the dials since they turn so easily.

I have the camera set to save both JPG and RAW. When I shoot bursts, and I load them into Lightroom if I set the inject to capture time, I'll get a few JPGs, then a few RAW files, in random order, as if when writing bursts to the card the camera doesn't write them in sequential order, resulting in a slightly different time stamp between the corresponding JPF and RAW file.

Erich

Sep 20, 2015 at 09:52 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few Olympus E-M1 questions

ELinder wrote:
I'm slowly getting more comfortable with my new E-M1 camera, but I've noticed a few things.

When I format the SD card, the camera doesn't name the card or folder? On my Nikon it's set to name the folder the camera model.

Totally dependent on the camera as to what it'll name the card.

To get around this, format the card in camera, put in computer -- name it what you want in the computer, then use "Erase All" instead of "format" in camera. That way, when you plug it back in, it's still named whatever you called it before. Only the "format" option will erase your name.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the 2 right dials? I find when carrying the camera I frequently change the exposure compensation or the aperture without knowing it when I bump the dials since they turn so easily.

I don't think so, but it's been a while since I've shot the E-M1.

I have the camera set to save both JPG and RAW. When I shoot bursts, and I load them into Lightroom if I set the inject to capture time, I'll get a few JPGs, then a few RAW files, in random order, as if when writing bursts to the card the camera doesn't write them in sequential order, resulting in a slightly different time stamp between the corresponding JPF and RAW file.

I think this is an Olympus thing. The same exact thing happens on my E-M5, no matter what the speed of my CF card is and I think it also happened on my E-M1 on the few times I shot bursts with RAW+JPEG.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:56 PM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few Olympus E-M1 questions

I simply turn the camera off to temporarily disable the 2 right dials. It starts up quick enough for me, and probably just a quick as when reactivating from sleep mode.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:46 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few Olympus E-M1 questions

I sent Olympus tech support an email asking about the jpg/raw file write issue. I'll post it if they give an answer.

WRT bumping the dials, turning off the camera isn't an option, as I'm talking about while shooting or moving around while shooting. Guess I'll just have to be more careful. It'd be nice if the plunger button on the mode dial was programable for either lock just that dial or lock everything.

Erich

Sep 21, 2015 at 09:06 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few Olympus E-M1 questions

cputeq wrote:
I think this is an Olympus thing. The same exact thing happens on my E-M5, no matter what the speed of my CF card is and I think it also happened on my E-M1 on the few times I shot bursts with RAW+JPEG.

I submitted a bug report to Olympus, and just got a reply. They say it is not a know issue and want me to submit further information. If you've seen this too, send them a bug report and info confirming it happens. Maybe they'll be able to fix it before the new version 4.0 comes out in November.

the email address is: [email protected]

Erich

Sep 22, 2015 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.