FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Gear Suggestion

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear Suggestion

I'm sure I am not the first to do this but I am wanting to take my camera gear across a lake to an island. The catch is that the only watercraft I have available is my kayak.

Any suggestions on how to safely transport my 300mm f2.8, extenders and camera in the kayak? My first thought is to just get a Pelican case that will hold the gear and sit it in the cockpit with me.

I'm not keen on a dry bag unless it had it's own life preserver. The Pelican will at least float if the worst happens.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Just keep in mind I typically drive or hike to my wildlife locations. This crossing the water is a new experience for me.

Sep 19, 2015 at 07:22 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear Suggestion

A Pelican case will do the job nicely. After you make a trip or two with the gear stowed, get it out and shoot along the way. Many here, including me, shoot from a kayak. It's a great way to shoot and gives a great low perspective ~ Ron

Sep 19, 2015 at 07:33 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear Suggestion

The alternative is ammunition cans lined with foam. I've used this setup for white water canoeing for years. They also float. With either, I suggest lashing the can or case to you boat in a way that you can not get entangled.

Morris

Sep 19, 2015 at 09:31 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear Suggestion

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've only been kayaking for about two months and I'll need to become a lot more confident before I pull out my gear while on the water. I'm just now getting used to sitting so low and close to the water.

Off-topic question - Is there any measure as to what the best length for a kayak is? Currently using a 10 foot but can't help but think a 12 footer would be better.

Sep 20, 2015 at 08:31 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear Suggestion

coppertop wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've only been kayaking for about two months and I'll need to become a lot more confident before I pull out my gear while on the water. I'm just now getting used to sitting so low and close to the water.

Off-topic question - Is there any measure as to what the best length for a kayak is? Currently using a 10 foot but can't help but think a 12 footer would be better.

Generally speaking, if you want to paddle calm waters like small lakes and rivers, longer is better. But the longer your yak, the heavier it will be. That may not be a consideration now, but as you get older, it may become one.

Since you have only been paddling a few months, I suggest you use what you have for at least a year or two. You will have a better idea what you like and dislike about your current ride, and you will have a better idea what you want ~ Ron

Sep 20, 2015 at 05:02 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear Suggestion

surfnron wrote:
Generally speaking, if you want to paddle calm waters like small lakes and rivers, longer is better. But the longer your yak, the heavier it will be. That may not be a consideration now, but as you get older, it may become one.

Since you have only been paddling a few months, I suggest you use what you have for at least a year or two. You will have a better idea what you like and dislike about your current ride, and you will have a better idea what you want ~ Ron

The 10 footer does feel cramped and luckily I only have to carry the kayak about 50 yards from the garage to the water.

I've got about a month worth of warm weather left to enjoy the kayak so I've got all winter to think about moving to a 12 foot boat. I will say the first priority with whichever length I settle on is to pick up a longer oar (along with a Pelican case).

Again, thanks for all the recommendations.

Sep 20, 2015 at 08:08 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear Suggestion

Picked up a Pelican 1500 and figured out a way to fit a Canon 300mm f2.8, doubler and 1DMKIII inside it. It was an adventure trying to fit it inside the canopy of the kayak but finally decided sitting upright, in between my legs was the best.

I was really surprised how the extra weight effected the balance of the 10' kayak.

Anyways... I found a few egrets across the lake working the shoreline. Approaching them by land was impossible so I tried shooting from the kayak. It was an adventure having the camera in my lap and carefully paddling along the shore. A little nerve racking as well.

Long story short, a bass boat spooked the birds before I could get close enough to get any sort of shot. Still it was fun getting out on the water and having the camera with me.

I'd like to find a smaller case but if I did, I wouldn't be able to take my 300mm with me. May dial it down and use a cropped body and a 200mm f2.8 with the doubler. I do know that if this becomes something I do with regularity, a larger kayak is in order.

Thanks again for all the advice. Here's hoping that warm weather holds a little longer and I can go out again this season.

Sep 24, 2015 at 06:37 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear Suggestion

Sounds like you're having fun, and I'm glad you're out on the water. I'm late with advice, but here's what I did...

I didn't have alot of storage space around my house, so I opted for an inflatable kayak (a Sea Eagle). One of the benefits is greater stability and much lower likelihood of capsizing. Drawbacks are the setup and takedown times, and the lower level of durability. But, I loved feeling confident that I wouldn't tip while paddling around with a Canon 500mm lens.

With that setup, I just used a drybag and a beach towel. I pretty much kept the bag open once out on the water, and just covered the camera/lens between my legs with the towel while paddling.

Sep 24, 2015 at 08:53 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear Suggestion

Hey... instead of starting a new discussion I thought I would revise this one for this question.

Are Sit-in or Sit-on Kayak best for photography?

The reason I ask is that I ran across a Jackson Sit-on Kayak that really looks nice. It has front and rear storage compartments and a two-tier chair. Any preference or advantage of one over the other?

Nov 14, 2015 at 04:02 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear Suggestion

The biggest difference is that a sit-in will be drier. Water from your paddle will drip on your legs while paddling a sit on top (I just wear rain pants if it's not hot out). A sit on top is easier to get in and out of and will have more options for storing gear.

Heron

Nov 15, 2015 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.