New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

MikeW2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Cool. I'm waiting for the $1000 D4s. I'll check back in a few weeks.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

What I really wish we had (since as you say "annual drop" averages out over time and these cameras are all different ages) is a measure of value drop at the same age (ie what did each of them lose in the first, say, 18 months).

Sep 20, 2015 at 02:16 AM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

You took the difference between the opening price and the current price and divided by the number of years. That's not an accurate reflection of how prices drop - they don't drop by the same amount every year. They drop by most in the first year.

It would be more accurate to calculate a constant rate of depreciation - like 10% per year. If it started at $1000, then 10% would mean it drops $100 in the first year to $900. In the second year it drops $90 to $810, then $81 in the third year to $729 - you get the idea.

Sep 20, 2015 at 04:20 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

This only goes to prove the old adage about putting your money into good glass, instead of camera bodies. Thanks for sharing.

Sep 20, 2015 at 06:10 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Two23 wrote:
When it comes to digital cameras, it's almost comparable to buying a daily newspaper.

Kent in SD

I'd hate to see these values for mirrorless cameras. Every few months there is a new one with better EVF, af etc.

Sep 20, 2015 at 06:49 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Two23 wrote:
+1. I let someone else take the big hit. I put that money into lenses.

Kent in SD

Personally I am not so poor that I have to worry a camera losing value. Rather then save some money to buy old technology, I would much rather just pay the price and get it new and then while you are sitting for the next 2 years using old technology I am reaping the benefit of better IQ in better High ISO performance and better Dynamic Range. Both of which make my shooting and processing experience much more enjoyable.

Life is too short to not enjoy the best when it's so readily affordable.

Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 01:07 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

The most interesting fact here is the relatively modest loss on the D3X. It's been called overpriced since the launch, from a technical data point of view, it's been surpassed by several models, but still, it's a sought after model that people pay a premium price for. Compare that to the D2X that was launched a couple of years earlier at a similar price, and that is now going for less than $500.

That really shows that a good camera is a good camera is a good camera, regardless of specs and age.

Sep 21, 2015 at 01:19 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

The D3X doesn't feel old to me, and I use it side-by-side with a D7100. Note that, in some ways, it hasn't been surpassed because there is no other single-digit body with 24MP. That may explain its sustained price.

Sep 21, 2015 at 04:17 AM
2of9
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Cool chart and very interesting. I knew the D750's value was going to drop. I got it as a gift, so i'm not complaining. The D3s' value has dropped pretty tremendously and I was really considering the D3s earlier this year when the D750 boomed.

IF i had to start over again, I would have just kept my D700 and invested in a 58 1.4G. Money wise, that combo was much more cheaper than the D750 body!

Sep 21, 2015 at 07:52 AM
conrad2nr
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Looks like I did well buying a grey market D750 for $1500 then, lol.

Sep 21, 2015 at 08:30 AM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

I have to think the body is like buying film upfront as I used to have a huge film and processing bill. If not I would probably cry. I am trying not to upgrade as much and still very happy with a aging d800 d700 combo.

Sep 21, 2015 at 09:11 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

chip_master wrote:
New Cameras are terrible value holders, hopefully we buy because they provide great satisfaction in improving or imaging or our image with it I'm really liking my approach of buying used these days.

Nice summary but you also need a plot showing price each year after release. What I predict it will show is that for models like Df, D3x, D700 are on a different slop than say the D6xx line or D8xx line where Nikon release a new/improved model. Then the used prices of the older model has little support except for the gap between the newer/higher price of
...Show more

Yes, that was my suggestion as well - add in the effect of inflation, which I think will make it even more dismal . . . .

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Also, I consider any depreciation as a "rental fee", which, depending on the difference in buying/selling amounts and the time in use can be fairly cheap compared to other costs for other things.

For instance, my D800 is now worth about 1/2 the cost that I paid for it, so for the $1500 difference I've used it for well over two years - that's like $60/month or so. Well worth it for me.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM
pmbpro

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

ckcarr wrote:
Since I keep spreadsheets on all kinds of stuff I have one here that may or may not be of interest.

It's only reasonably accurate when comparing current used prices versus MSRP. The annual drops in value are smoothed by time, where obviously camera bodies take a far greater "depreciation" hit in the first year or two. In the accounting world we would call that accelerated depreciation, like Double declining balance (among others). But I don't have annual information, only then and now. I just checked current used selling prices off the FM buy & sell, and just made a rough
...Show more

Definitely of interest, to me. Thank you so much for posting this information. I've almost always bought used, with the exception being my very first DSLR (Olympus E500) I bought when I started out to learn 9 years ago.

I own two D700 cameras and love them, but I'm also looking to get a D800e now too. I want the higher resolution camera so that I get more allowance for cropping in certain situations and also to make very large prints for future unit stills work.

I was getting frustrated trying to keep track of asking prices (US and CAD, as I'm in Canada), along with the actual currency exchange rates bobbing around. The ones I'd seen here in Canada, I felt were overpriced -- almost close to an D810 price. The US deals I saw (which would have *still* been great even with crazy exchange rate) were for US buyers only.

Thanks again, for this. I can use it as a rough guideline.

Sep 21, 2015 at 04:31 PM
architect7
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Tony Rogers wrote:
You took the difference between the opening price and the current price and divided by the number of years. That's not an accurate reflection of how prices drop - they don't drop by the same amount every year. They drop by most in the first year.

It would be more accurate to calculate a constant rate of depreciation - like 10% per year. If it started at $1000, then 10% would mean it drops $100 in the first year to $900. In the second year it drops $90 to $810, then $81 in the third year to $729 -
...Show more

x2, this table is making my inner statistician's eyebrow spasm without end

Essentially this table is null for anything out less than a year or two because you do not have enough information to model the trend correctly. A better way to do this would be to look at the annual rates for cameras 5 years old and older, take those curves, average and then use this curve to predict depreciation on new bodies. By no means should the initial table posted be used as a way to gauge overall depreciation on a newer body, this is apples and oranges because there simply is not enough data to predict depreciation on a newer body all on its own.

Sep 21, 2015 at 05:17 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

But I don't care about that engineering/statistical crap.

The table is for the here and now. Not a statisticians curve...
The table is for those that might actually buy one, or simply to look at the evolution of the full-frames.

You want to build a better one, do it yourself...
This was simply a Saturday morning exercise.

NOTHING matters from when the camera was introduced until now. You can't go backwards, and you can only go forward. To be totally honest, I'd be F'ing crazy to waste that time researching each camera's value decline so a couple people here could go "hmmm."

I suggest you go take pictures instead.

Sep 21, 2015 at 05:33 PM
architect7
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

ckcarr wrote:
But I don't care about that engineering/statistical crap.

The table is for the here and now. Not a statisticians curve...
The table is for those that might actually buy one, or simply to look at the evolution of the full-frames.

You want to build a better one, do it yourself...
This was simply a Saturday morning exercise.

NOTHING matters from when the camera was introduced until now. You can't go backwards, and you can only go forward. To be totally honest, I'd be F'ing crazy to waste that time researching each camera's value decline so a couple people here could go "hmmm."

I suggest you go
...Show more

Then you should remove all other columns and only post values for then and now. The straight line depreciation columns are misleading, regardless of any disclaimer.

You should also be open to feedback if you post something on the internet like this so I recommend chilling out a little.

Sep 21, 2015 at 05:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

Tony Rogers wrote:

It would be more accurate to calculate a constant rate of depreciation - like 10% per year. If it started at $1000, then 10% would mean it drops $100 in the first year to $900. In the second year it drops $90 to $810, then $81 in the third year to $729 -
...Show more

Actually it's not true that the cameras drop the most in used price in the first year. Typically there is very little difference between new and used prices for the first year. The bigger drops typically happen in the 2nd or 3rd year when new and upgraded cameras are first announced and then released.

Jim

Sep 21, 2015 at 06:06 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

As I stated, if you want to do the research, feel free to go back with each camera and provide a table of monthly changes, or whatever suits you. None of that matters now.

And if you're eyebrow develops spasms, go take a muscle relaxer....

architect7 wrote:
Then you should remove all other columns and only post values for then and now. The straight line depreciation columns are misleading, regardless of any disclaimer.

You should also be open to feedback if you post something on the internet like this so I recommend chilling out a little.

Sep 21, 2015 at 06:08 PM
RickJames
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Full Frame Camera Values - Then & Now

I paid $2700 for my D800 when I bought it and can't imagine selling it like I did with so many bodies before it. The same feeling with my current set of lenses. While I understand depreciation occurs to equipment I am at the point where any new tech being released won't make enough of a difference in image quality in what I photograph to make me sell old to buy new.

Sep 21, 2015 at 06:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.