Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Flugelbinder
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

https://www.vistek.ca/events/seminars/1472/luxurious-light---with-jerry-ghionis.aspx

Sep 17, 2015 at 04:33 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

The Oct 5 - Oct 9, 2015 workshop sold out really quickly so I am surprised he is doing a free seminar a few days later.

Sep 17, 2015 at 04:43 PM
Flugelbinder
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Me too, but I'm already signed up!
This is October 1st, btw...

Sep 17, 2015 at 05:29 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

I think Jerry's feeling the need to raise his profile a bit. He's waned in the last few years.

Sep 17, 2015 at 08:37 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Shots fired.

Sep 17, 2015 at 08:44 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

FrancisK7 wrote:
The Oct 5 - Oct 9, 2015 workshop sold out really quickly so I am surprised he is doing a free seminar a few days later.

Merchandising.

The way for him to make a buck without charging a buck.
I'll bet there is plenty of Dvd's and other things on offer at prices that make gold Bullion look cheap on a weight for weight basis.

I'm sure if people attend the free seminar without buying any merchandise, they will learn something and therefore get great value for money!

Sep 17, 2015 at 08:57 PM
Flugelbinder
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

glort wrote:
...I'm sure if people attend the free seminar without buying any merchandise, they will learn something and therefore get great value for money!

That is the plan.

Sep 17, 2015 at 09:06 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

So...it's a free seminar for 1000 people on how to use the Ice Light with a $50 incentive to buy one.

Sep 17, 2015 at 09:21 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

You Won't Believe How Amazing It Is. Watch This!

Sep 17, 2015 at 09:28 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

though all the above is probably true in at least some regard, if dude can make bank on it? More power to him IMO

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Everyone has to put food on the table ... why be so negative?

Sep 18, 2015 at 02:05 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Littleguy wrote:
Everyone has to put food on the table ... why be so negative?

Not that I have been to any seminars for a long time however.... When I did go to these things, I frequently felt like I had been suckered.
The promotional literature made it sound like you are going to find many answers to your question but what you actually get is nothing more than a long winded Advertisement to get you to buy the merchandise which is ridiculously overpriced. Perhaps it's just an advertisement that pushes a sponsors High dollar, niche market product down your throat.

I am negative with anything I feel is deceptive and not what it is made out to be.
I have never been as far as I can remember to this guys seminars so he may be different. Frankly, I tend to doubt it as these guys aren't doing these seminars for the good of their health.

If you play the game and go and learn something then all good. If they make you think you are going to learn something in order to get you in so they can milk you for all they can...... Thats Different.

It would be like a photographer saying they would photograph weddings for free and talking all about the wonderful pictures they take without telling you that every image you want to have is going to cost you $500 ea.

Sep 18, 2015 at 03:26 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

I am not sure where you get the idea that he is doing this for charity or that any other educator is doing it for charity.

My point is that everyone has to make a living - some people do it by teaching, others do it by taking wedding photos - I don't think that one type of job is more deceptive than the other. Its a job and people have to be paid - I think if people understood that they wouldn't be deceived.

Sep 18, 2015 at 03:46 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

I just like all of these workshops, seminars, classes, when no one is really talking about true editing, and how much it seperates 'styles' compared to all of these half-truths about 'finding beautiful light' *gag*.

Sep 18, 2015 at 03:34 PM
Flugelbinder
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

jeremy_clay wrote:
I just like all of these workshops, seminars, classes, when no one is really talking about true editing, and how much it seperates 'styles' compared to all of these half-truths about 'finding beautiful light' *gag*.

I'm a big fan of Jerry's work (in case no one has noticed yet) and for me, what separates his work is not beautiful light - there's a lot of people lighting their images beautifully - nor the editing, but his crops, composition and the posing. But what do I know...

Sep 18, 2015 at 03:52 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Flugelbinder wrote:
I'm a big fan of Jerry's work (in case no one has noticed yet) and for me, what separates his work is not beautiful light - there's a lot of people lighting their images beautifully - nor the editing, but his crops, composition and the posing. But what do I know...

I don't know who he is and am not referring to him, my apologies if that's how it came across.

Sep 18, 2015 at 03:55 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

I did Jerrys 1 day seminar last year. Yep. There's some selling of stuff. Even a dirty great Nikon stand at the back.

But. There was also some real information given. Most of it I'd seen before but there's always a nugget or two. He seemed generous with information and the day was structured well. He made time to go around before the thing started and spend 5 minutes with every person there for a quick chat. Behind Jerry Ghihonis the industry seems to be a really decent guy. I walked away with some respect for him I didn't have at the start.

I really did consider doing his 5 day workshop. I still might one day.

Gordon

Sep 18, 2015 at 04:24 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

Jerry Ghionis is a pretty well known international wedding photog. He is a portraitist more than a PJ shooter, though. He has a website called Black Ice Society which offers teaching capsules about posing, light, etc. He definitely is a master of posing.

He mostly does posed and staged stuff and captures very little authentic moments. His processing style is average at best. In his Black Ice Society videos he shows SOOC shots more often than not, and they look like snapshots.

If you want to learn posing and how and when to incorporate OCF his videos and teachings are certainly worth a listen. I like to think of Jerry Ghionis as the Joe McNally of weddings. Joe isn't too good with the editing stuff either.

He is running a 50% special on a yearly subscription now, which is worth it imho if you take the time to listen to all the capsules. Otherwise I am not convinced spending 5 days with him is likely to make a huge difference in people's business since marketing and branding is really what most photogs should focus on but they are never covered or discussed in workshops like this.

Sep 18, 2015 at 04:38 PM
Flugelbinder
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

FrancisK7 wrote:
...I like to think of Jerry Ghionis as the Joe McNally of weddings. Joe isn't too good with the editing stuff either...

I believe (said by him) he outsources his editing.

Sep 18, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jerry Ghionis is coming to Toronto - Free Seminar!

"His processing style is average at best"

No disrespect intended but that is way off base. His processing (outsourced or otherwise) knocksmuch of the crap purchased preset editing you see all of the time out of the park but that aside colour, tone and contrast are almost always spot on.

I have never met the guy but every person I know who has gives a testimony similar to Gordon's about his decency that he makes time for every person that he can and that he is generous with information. He has stuff on youtube that gives better content than similar education you would pay money for.

I would take it as a given that a free seminar will be offset by those who buy product on offer. Wouldn't most of us?

Sep 19, 2015 at 03:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.