Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

Hi everyone, so I lug my GR around with me everywhere, it's a constant companion, and it's taken some knocks over the past couple years but hasn't really developed any issues as a result. However last night when I got home I noticed that the lens was stuck out and the camera won't power on.

I tried a different battery, same response.

I tried leaving the battery out for a couple minutes and then trying, same response.

I tried leaving the battery out overnight, again, same response.

What can I do to fix my little GR? Is it even economical to send it out for repair? Or am I better off just buying another one. I still say that the GR is probably my favorite digital camera that I've owned despite what other equipment I may have. There's just something special about it, and I don't want to be without one.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:20 PM
markhout
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

Sorry to hear that - but no condolences yet! Did you open up the GR and tried surgery? It might just be something very simple that is stuck. The issue is that by opening up the back it's hard to get to the lens. In the past I have successfully opened the GR and freed a stuck lamel of the closing mechanism. However, a few weeks later my former GR got a lethal beating and succumbed.

See here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/161-ricoh-gr/261769-disassembling-gr-sensor-cleaning.html

This BTW is why I won't buy a Leica Q, even though I crave one. Cameras are tools to be actively used - not to borrow from the next generation!

Sep 16, 2015 at 01:06 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

Had the same issue with mine unfortunately - ended up buying another one at a great price as the v2 had just come out.

Sep 16, 2015 at 01:38 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

I can get the camera to turn on and operate normally if I press the play button. I can still access the menu and everything. But as soon as I press the shutter button it freezes and then shuts off, with the lens still extended.

I'm willing to try taking it apart if I know I can fix it, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for?

Sep 16, 2015 at 05:21 PM
WeJay

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

AbramG, I am facing the same issue since last week. It was sudden without any apparent cause. Can you please tell what was your solution. Thanks in advance.

Aug 04, 2016 at 08:54 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

AbramG wrote:
I can get the camera to turn on and operate normally if I press the play button. I can still access the menu and everything. But as soon as I press the shutter button it freezes and then shuts off, with the lens still extended.

I'm willing to try taking it apart if I know I can fix it, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for?

I had something like this occur once on a fairly new GR I once owned. I always suspected some sort of incompatibility with the Sandisk SD card as when I switched cards, it never happened again and worked after turning it off/ on. Maybe just random/ coincidental....I don't know.

Aug 04, 2016 at 09:37 AM
med007
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

Any solutions?

I tried a fresh battery, vacuuming around the lens, card board cleaner between lens and body removed dirt. Still won't close properly or open fully.

Reset doesn't help so far.

Any other ideas?

Asher

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:18 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

I just saw this thread and then realized it was MY thread. There was no solve for repair on my camera unfortunately as the quote to repair was more expensive than just buying another copy used which is what I ultimately did.

I still have the second one kicking around but it too is starting to develop some display issues. I'll probably still buy another one after that because I just love the camera.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:19 AM
med007
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

AbramG wrote:
I just saw this thread and then realized it was MY thread. There was no solve for repair on my camera unfortunately as the quote to repair was more expensive than just buying another copy used which is what I ultimately did.

I still have the second one kicking around but it too is starting to develop some display issues. I'll probably still buy another one after that because I just love the camera.

Thanks Abram G!

What camera is as compact and perfect for the pocket? What camera has such a stellar 21mm add on lens? What camera, with one silent release of the shutter can take bracketed exposures in rapid succession?

...and it's APS C with low noise and low distortion.

Yes I probably need another one, but it should always be in a silk purse to protect it from dust! 😇

Asher

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:00 PM
OliverHolmgren

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

*SOLVED*
Hey Everyone,
Just had the same issue.

Ended up solving the issue by rotating the lens barrel slightly counter clockwise when looking into the lens.

It made a little click and then closed. I applied the counter clockwise force just after pressing the on button. Because the lens was stuck it would try to open, fail and then a moment later try to close and thats when the counter clockwise force yielded the little click and it freed up and closed. Opens and closes not fine. No "assistance" needed.

Hope this helps other.

May 15, 2018 at 06:11 PM
OliverHolmgren

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

I might have found a solution to your GR issue. Check out the reply post :-)

May 15, 2018 at 06:12 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ricoh GR - Lens is stuck, repairable?

Ah interesting! I would have tried that but I wound up giving it to a friend of mine for him to tinker with and try to repair. My second one is on its way out now too unfortunately. It still works but it is getting a little unreliable. I still love it though. Wonderful little machine.

May 16, 2018 at 12:14 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.