FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Low Light

ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low Light

Amazing to see how technology has moved on. No way would this have been possible when I first started shooting. Sure it's noisy but useable.

http://www.alexanderbeckett.com/alexbeckett/files/2015/09/AlexBeckett-351.jpg

ISO 25600, F2, 1/40th pushed 1 stop. Sony A7s.

Anybody else been pushing the ISO's?

Sep 14, 2015 at 09:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low Light

not like this....

-Mark

Sep 14, 2015 at 09:55 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Low Light

I look at noise in terms of whether it is chroma noise which kills the shot or luminance noise which is easily corrected even with batch NR processing and with no noticeable loss of image quality. Your images are great and provide a great sense of the overall event ambiance.

Big difference between possible noise in a scene such as this and possible noise with a closeup of the bride during the ceremony where skin tones are important.

Sep 15, 2015 at 05:19 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Low Light

ai3x wrote:
Anybody else been pushing the ISO's?

Made some lovely prints at that I SO from a Dec wedding when they had a power cut. Printed at 12 - 14 inches, looked great to me. (I never like ultra clean anyway)

Sep 15, 2015 at 06:06 PM
docholliday

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Low Light

You call it noise...we used to call it grain!

Sep 18, 2015 at 03:12 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Low Light

Sometimes I'll over smooth / de-noise an image and then add film style grain to give it character again. Soo much nicer than digital noise.

Sep 18, 2015 at 06:59 AM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Low Light

I've done some high ISO 12,800/25,600 with the D750 with solid results. I often go to ISO 4000-5000 for available light when the light is low.

I think we as photographers are mover concerned with image "quality" than our clients. They are more connected to the content of the image. I've never had a client say "That image is noisy...".

Sep 18, 2015 at 01:01 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Low Light

wow, that's hot. I could do 3200 with film

I'd love to see this in bw though...

Sep 18, 2015 at 06:04 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Low Light

zalmyb wrote:
wow, that's hot. I could do 3200 with film

Yeah, but not in color The Fuji SHG 800 was only good if overexposed by one stop, which resulted in a sensitivity of 400 ASA...

Yes, there was a time before ISO.

Sep 20, 2015 at 06:41 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Low Light

GeoLaing wrote:
I think we as photographers are mover concerned with image "quality" than our clients. They are more connected to the content of the image. I've never had a client say "That image is noisy...".

Could not have said it better myself.

I have also never had a client complain about a blown highlight, lack of shadow detail, vignetting or edge softness, the fact an image was shot in Jpeg rather than RAW, that I wasn't using a full frame camera or my camera wasn't the latest model. They also never complained because I was using a zoom rather than a prime lens or pretty much anything else photographers carry on about ad Nauseum.

I think a great many shooters are absoloutley obsessed with image quality and to the extent it must inhibit what they show and produce.
Shooters can rave on about producing quality results and their name and reputation being on the shots but after a point which pretty much every camera in 5+ years well exceed, that's just a lot of crap and shows they are completely out of touch with their clients wants and desires.

I always remember a guy I knew that was a real audiophile. ( Into Hi definition music for want of a better explanation) What sounded fine to 99% of the population sounded like crap to him. He was tuned into things and had studied sound so as to appreciate and discern what few other people could.

He also told me that a lot of the Audio nerds would argue about the quality of gear and base their positions on the ability of the gear to reproduce sounds that were out of the range of human hearing. As he said, " You won't tell the difference in sound quality but your dog is really going to appreciate that extra 5 grand you spent."

The only technicals clients look at is the shot has to be adequately ( Not perfectly, adequately) exposed, has nice bright colour and is in reasonably sharp focus. And it helps to have the subject in the centre of the shot because the majority don't appreciate the artistic off centre compositions.

Meet those low criteria and the other 95% of the clients appreciation of a picture is all in the content.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:00 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.