New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Budget A3 printer advice

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Budget A3 printer advice

OK guys after a hellish time I had with an Epson R1800 I vowed never to get another printer again .

But kids school work etc is looking like we may need to bite a bitter bullet and get another A3 printer .

budget is not going to be high . what printers are out there that can offer decent print quality on the rare occasion I would try and print an image or 3

Looking at the lower end stuff see Epson have the 1500W . anyone know what its like ?

before anyone goes and suggests the Canon Pro 100 . yep with the rebates that would be the first and only one on my list . BUT (and its a HUGE BUT ) I live in the UK and we dont get those nice almost give it away rebates .
Over here that printer is £375 !!! thats over budget (also I would feel aggrieved to pay full retail when I know its being almost given away in other markets )

the 1500W can be had for less than £200 if I shop around

Sep 14, 2015 at 03:14 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Budget A3 printer advice

That Canon rebate thing is really annoying, isn't it? We don't get it in Norway either. Actually, we don't seem to get any rebates at all.

We had a low end Pixma (A4) iP4300 in one of my labs for several years and i ran off quite a few pictures on the sly. I'm not going to say it's a pro printer, but i had few complaints with the IQ with canon papers, and it ran reliably for years. You could try looking at the bigger iP8750, it's more modern A3 big brother.

Sep 14, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Budget A3 printer advice

thanks , thats the sort of thing I'm thinking about . £200 ish seems sensible

Sep 14, 2015 at 06:10 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Budget A3 printer advice

I would say that it wasn't so cheap to run in terms of ink, but i wasn't paying so i didn't really care. If you are going to use yours a lot, you might be better off with a more expensive printer in the longer term. If it's just for occasional use, then that's different.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Budget A3 printer advice

For rare printing I strongly recommend that you not buy a printer at all. Go to the local shopping centre and get your prints done there. Even if the quality is not quite as good, most people can't tell the difference anyway. You'll save heaps.

If you do buy a printer then you need one that will not let the inks dry out in the printer. That used to mean use it lots or get a big up-market one.

- Alan

Sep 21, 2015 at 11:59 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Budget A3 printer advice

Alan321 wrote:
For rare printing I strongly recommend that you not buy a printer at all. Go to the local shopping centre and get your prints done there. Even if the quality is not quite as good, most people can't tell the difference anyway. You'll save heaps.

If you do buy a printer then you need one that will not let the inks dry out in the printer. That used to mean use it lots or get a big up-market one.

- Alan

Alan thats pretty much what i do now . But the need for a printer larger than A4 stems from my kids school work in the next few years . the rare bit will be my use for it to print photos .

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:52 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Budget A3 printer advice

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Alan thats pretty much what i do now . But the need for a printer larger than A4 stems from my kids school work in the next few years . the rare bit will be my use for it to print photos .

I'm curious about what subject they are doing that requires A3 colour printing?

Sep 22, 2015 at 01:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Budget A3 printer advice

15Bit wrote:
I'm curious about what subject they are doing that requires A3 colour printing?

probably not a that much . projects and stuff that can tend to look better the larger they are done . but there is also club stuff that my wife and I run etc . there's also a few bits I do for my shop like posters etc .
maybe I'm just looking for an excuse . daft thing is having already been thru the pain of a r1800 (that I bought to solely print photos) I can't for the life of me think why I'd want to go thru it again .

Sep 22, 2015 at 03:01 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.