FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Critter Mix

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critter Mix

It's difficult to go more than a few meters out at the farm without seeing one of these neon looking Scarlet Lilly Beetles.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (5x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: I found this critter late in the day and it was pretty lethargic. I held the grass stem that is was on in front of an artificial flower and rested the lens on that same had to keep the scene steady.

Scarlet Lilly Beetle I by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I think the white spots on this dragonfly's eyes are pollen, and it was probably feeding on bees.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (around 3x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: Early morning shot while it was still a little lethargic, although it only gave me time for a few portrait shots (about 22C).

Dragonfly Portrait II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Image taken at the Butterfly House in Collodi, Italy.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with 37mm of extension + a diffused MT-24EX with head "A" set as the key and head "B" as the fill. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: This butterfly was hanging upside down from a railing and there was no appreciable light in the background. So I held an artificial flower behind it and shot it one handed. Normally I'd pass on a scene like that one because I was at too much of a mechanical disadvantage. Lots of deleted frames...

Butterfly Series 1-1 by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Finally have an ID on this large bee: Xylocopa violacea common name Violet Carpenter Bee.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/60, ISO 200) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with 37mm of extension + a diffused MT-24EX (+1/3 FEC) with head "A" set as the key and head "B" as the fill. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: I injected the flower with artificial nectar to give the critter a reason to let me get close.

Violet Carpenter Bee I by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:30 PM
orionmystery
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critter Mix

Wonderful shots, John. Esp like the dragon's eyes!

Sep 14, 2015 at 09:37 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critter Mix

Great set John. The dragon and butterfly are my favorites.

Birdie

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:19 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Critter Mix

orionmystery wrote:
...Esp like the dragon's eyes!

I went looking for a material that would force the light from the MT-24EX to spread out rapidly with minimal light loss. Amazing what a replacement wide angle diffuser for a 530EX can do

birdied wrote:
..The dragon and butterfly are my favorites.

Birdie

I though I was channeling you when I shot the Carpenter Bee

Sep 15, 2015 at 01:43 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Critter Mix

John,

The butterfly seems to have unusually tiny eye facets.

The triumph of the set is the detail on the shiny black beetle. I have never got a really good image, although the species is in my garden every year.

Harold

Sep 16, 2015 at 01:22 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Critter Mix

e6filmuser wrote:
...The triumph of the set is the detail on the shiny black beetle. I have never got a really good image, although the species is in my garden every year.

Harold

I have a treat for you then -about a three or four image set of that critter. Won't be posting it for a few days though because have some other images to push up to my gallery (I'm on a one image per day cycle right now). I have one more image to post of this guy and I'll get the beetle shots up. I too have struggled with that beetle -extremely reflective. But the new diffusers that I built are handling those types of subjects pretty well.

As an entomologist is there a particular species that you like?

Sep 16, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Critter Mix

Wonderful captures.

Sep 16, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Critter Mix

Thanks Jonathan

Sep 17, 2015 at 01:50 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.