New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Single lens recommendation

gerov
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Single lens recommendation

Hi All,
looking for some advice - had a very nice Leica M4-P for a couple of years and sold it to fund some other gear (against my better judgement). Am thinking about getting another one mainly for urban shooting with black and white film.

So the question is, if I'm going to start out with just one lens, what would be the best focal length for this type of shooting. My initial thoughts were in the 25-35mm range.

Thanks for your thoughts on this,

Gero

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:02 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Single lens recommendation

Some prefer 28, some 35 and some 50. I prefer 35....

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:04 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Single lens recommendation

35 for me...but as stated above this is highly personal. I use 35, 50 and 85 for urban shooting.

Edit - would it be possible to rent for you to find out what works for you, rather than listen to what works for everyone else?

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:13 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Single lens recommendation

35 or 50 is what most guys use as a single lens. I love 28, but you do need to get very close with it sometimes.

There are good less than pricey lenses for M at 35 and 50. 650 will get you a great Zeiss, or 350 will get you a very good Voigtlander.

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:19 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Single lens recommendation

may I add 40mm?
(voigtländer 40mm 1:1,4)

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:23 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Single lens recommendation

Thank you all for your comments. I'm inclined to go with 35mm to start, and will have a look around to see what I can find in good condition.

Gero

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:47 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Single lens recommendation

How about a Summaron? I had no experience with them until I happened across one and was blown away by how good it was. Sure, it's max aperture of 2.8 but as long as that isn't a problem I can't imagine not being happy with one.

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:50 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Single lens recommendation

Pingflood,
I haven't limited myself in that way. While 1.4 is nice, it's not a requirement, and 2.8 is better than 3.5 which is what I had before.

Might also consider an M8 if a nice one comes along.

Sep 14, 2015 at 03:37 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Single lens recommendation

35mm for me. I have three 'crons, but only ever use the Summaron f/2.8...that lens is a Leitz masterpiece.

Sep 14, 2015 at 09:30 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Single lens recommendation

Favorite focal length for me is 35mm.

Sep 15, 2015 at 09:17 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Single lens recommendation

I would recommend the Zeiss ZM35C. Great lens in a small package....

Sep 15, 2015 at 09:57 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Single lens recommendation

I have a Zeiss 35 2.8 Biogon C Biogon and it is a great little lens. Bought it to tide me over while my 35 Lux was at Leica. It's small. light, sharp and has really easy to read DoF scales, what's not to like about it.

I might be putting mine (L/N with box and warranty card) up for sale. PM me if interested.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:17 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Single lens recommendation

Thank you all for the feedback. Now I am debating just making the jump to an M8.2 as opposed to dealing with film. Considering the 8.2 mainly as anything newer is out of my budget for the time being...

Thanks!

Edited on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2015 at 09:57 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Single lens recommendation

The M4-P is my all time favourite camera. I've never owned one, just had a beautiful sample for a week with a 28 cron. I love that camera, it's a work of art, but the whole 'rangefinder thing' is not for me so I didn't buy it.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Single lens recommendation

gerov wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. Now I am debating just making the jump to an M8.2 as opposed to dealing with film. Considering the 8.2 mainly as anything newer is out of my budget for the time being...

Thanks!

8.2 is awesome camera and very friendly to the film lenses with a super thin stack and it leaves out the edges

v3 Elmarit 28 is great on it as are many 28s, and the little CV lenses also really good there if you are on a budget.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Single lens recommendation

I don't get it. The thread started out as if you were on a budget and looking for good price-performance lens (for film). Now you're OK with a digital body and looking at maybe the worst price performance body out there - good camera though it may be.

What's your actual budget?

Sep 19, 2015 at 03:21 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Single lens recommendation

Bifurcator wrote:
I don't get it. The thread started out as if you were on a budget and looking for good price-performance lens (for film). Now you're OK with a digital body and looking at maybe the worst price performance body out there - good camera though it may be.

What's your actual budget?

Never actually said I was on a budget - I've always like the M4-P and have been considering replacing it, and getting one nice lens to go along with it for the type of shooting I was describing. Question about the M8.2 is that depending on condition, they're not a huge premium over the M4-P, so it would be worth considering as an alternative.

Sep 19, 2015 at 08:13 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Single lens recommendation

If you can afford an M8, but always liked the M4-P, then you should give thought to the original M4. It's a beautiful machine, with the smooth wind-on of brass gears, and a real self-timer. Mine pictured with classic Elmar 50/2.8 (another great option for the street):

Sep 19, 2015 at 04:31 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Single lens recommendation

Rico,
I had a very similar lens with my M4-P and loved it. Need to give consideration to how much time I'll have to develop and scan film. I enjoy deliberations like this.

Gero

Sep 19, 2015 at 04:37 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Single lens recommendation

I used to perform the complete analog cycle (for both color and B&W). Later, I digitized with a Canon FS4000 film scanner, but that's a damned tedious business. Now, I just ship it out.

Sep 19, 2015 at 04:47 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.