FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Archive 2017 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D7200 Image Thread

Carlos Salcedo wrote:
For high school I would never go below 1/1000th, college/NFL below 1/1600th for night/indoor or 1/2000th for daylight.

Hi Carlos,

OK, all my football experience is JV High-school or younger and all during the day time. My shutter speeds have always been well over 1/1000 unless it was particularly cloudy, in which case I'd go as low as 1/800. The two exceptions are:

--- one game last year under the lights using the D300 -- total waste -- 1/400 @ ISO3200
--- one game this year under the lights using the D7200 -- the images in this post -- 1/400 @ ISO3200

So, based on your experience, you find it's less detrimental to the image to go higher ISO values than to risk any motion blur at all?

My problem here is that I have NO High ISO experience at all coming from the D300 ... I don't know what the D7200 is capable of yet.

Thanks,
Andre

Sep 13, 2015 at 08:15 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D7200 Image Thread

For boosting exposure on shots with the D800/810, I've found that at 3200 and 6400 you have some wiggle room but ultimately for colour accuracy getting it right in camera really helped. 12800 things get really really hard to correct.

Coming from a D300 -> D800, I was blown away with ISO comparisons. Just shoot high honestly, the shutter speed is most important and you do have some room if things need to be touched up.

And start using LR already lol

Sep 13, 2015 at 08:18 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
Hi Carlos,

OK, all my football experience is JV High-school or younger and all during the day time. My shutter speeds have always been well over 1/1000 unless it was particularly cloudy, in which case I'd go as low as 1/800. The two exceptions are:

--- one game last year under the lights using the D300 -- total waste -- 1/400 @ ISO3200
--- one game this year under the lights using the D7200 -- the images in this post -- 1/400 @ ISO3200

So, based on your experience, you find it's less detrimental to the image to go higher ISO values than
...Show more

For JV or younger I could see going under 1/1000th. They move slowly. But Varsity moves a lot faster. The minimum speeds I cited will still give you slight motion blurs on the ball and on the extreme limbs (feet and sometimes arms). The older they are the faster their limbs & the ball moves.

Cameras have come a long way from the D300. I shoot 2-3 games a week at ISO 6400 to ISO 25,600 (on my D3s) and I can still pull usable, printable images from all of them. Yes, they may require a bit more work to get the noise down but nothing that can't be managed with a little practice.

Sep 13, 2015 at 08:23 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
So, based on your experience, you find it's less detrimental to the image to go higher ISO values than to risk any motion blur at all?

Here's an example of the minimum 1/1000th that still produces motion blur at the varsity level.

http://www.yesanotherphotographer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/D317782-748x900.jpg

He was running full speed cross my frame. You can see that even at 1/1000th I could not freeze the grass nor the ball. His limbs are almost frozen but not quite.

Sep 13, 2015 at 08:34 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D7200 Image Thread

Thanks Carlos. So assuming the D7200 is a stop behind the D3s, I should be able to use it to decent effect in the 6400 to 12800 range. This would put me in the 1/800 to 1/1600 range for shutter speeds at the field I am shooting at.

Sep 13, 2015 at 08:56 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D7200 Image Thread

m.sommers00 wrote:
For boosting exposure on shots with the D800/810, I've found that at 3200 and 6400 you have some wiggle room but ultimately for colour accuracy getting it right in camera really helped. 12800 things get really really hard to correct.

Coming from a D300 -> D800, I was blown away with ISO comparisons. Just shoot high honestly, the shutter speed is most important and you do have some room if things need to be touched up.

And start using LR already lol

This is a good reference for me since the D800 has slightly larger pixels than the D7200 ... and getting right in camera is my preferred way to do things. But to do that, I have to find my ISO setting and then tune things in.

So, going based on what you and Carlos (and others) are saying, if I shoot for a min of 1/1000, I should use something around ISO 8700. This should give a good trade-off between motion blur and ISO noise.

And yes, I will get a copy of LR.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:00 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
Thanks Carlos. So assuming the D7200 is a stop behind the D3s, I should be able to use it to decent effect in the 6400 to 12800 range. This would put me in the 1/800 to 1/1600 range for shutter speeds at the field I am shooting at.

Now you're talkin'. Push it 'till it breaks Andre! It is better to mess up early in the season, because the players get faster as the seasons rolls on.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:01 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:

I haven't tried the D7200 yet (renting one in the next week or two) so I cannot judge it against the D3s yet but I cannot see how it could not handle ISO 6400-12,800. You will need to work a bit harder at DNR in post but not that much. It depends on the individual files, field, and lastly, the WB makes a huge difference. The lower the K the worse the noise gets...at least that seems to be what I have seen.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:09 PM
MikeW2
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
Thanks Carlos. So assuming the D7200 is a stop behind the D3s,

High iso performance is inferior to the D700/D3. So let's say way, way behind a D3s. D3s is still a remarkable camera.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:34 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D7200 Image Thread

MikeW2 wrote:
High iso performance is inferior to the D700/D3. So let's say way, way behind a D3s. D3s is still a remarkable camera.

I never thought it would be close to the D3s but it can't be that bad...I am assuming and we all know how well that works out.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:44 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D7200 Image Thread

Carlos Salcedo wrote:
I never thought it would be close to the D3s but it can't be that bad...I am assuming and we all know how well that works out.

From people I know who have used both, it seems that the best DX bodies are a stop behind the comparable FX bodies. Please do let me know what you think after you get a chance to use the D7200 ... and what settings you ultimately use as well. Feel free to post your images here.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:48 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:
From people I know who have used both, it seems that the best DX bodies are a stop behind the comparable FX bodies. Please do let me know what you think after you get a chance to use the D7200 ... and what settings you ultimately use as well. Feel free to post your images here.

I will reserve any judgement comparing two bodies till I personally test both in exact same conditions. So yes, when I rent one and I test it at a football game along side my D3s then I can give it a solid evaluation.

Sep 13, 2015 at 09:55 PM
lorac
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D7200 Image Thread

Andre Labonte wrote:

That seems optimistic for the D7200. Have fun experimenting. Getting "usable" images and good quality aren't the same thing. Play with lower iso and pushing in PP vs higher iso and see which you prefer. This is what is so exciting about getting a new camera, all the discoveries to be made. Of course your conclusions may be different than others and that's just fine too.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:07 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D7200 Image Thread

lorac wrote:
Play with lower iso and pushing in PP vs higher iso and see which you prefer.

Pushing in PP is never better than higher native ISO and then trying to fix the noise. If that was the case then native ISO would never have to be so high.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM
MikeW2
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D7200 Image Thread

I rarely shoot football, but it's kinda fun to be on the sidelines.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D7200 Image Thread

Just to add to the discussion.
The high ISO noise handling of the D3s is still king among Nikon other than the D4/s.
The D7200 is capable of handling up to ISO 6400 in good light, no so much in darker situation. Once noise kicks in, it can be reduce by PP, but at a cost of reduced resolution and sharpness. If one uses a lower ISO and boost exposure by PP there is no additional noise introduced because it is done by numeric processing, but it must fall within bound (0 to 255 or clipping comes in) and the WB must be set correctly. So it is all a tradeoff.
So give them all a try and see what suits each best for the different lighting situation.
Good luck all!

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D7200 Image Thread

hans98ko wrote:
Just to add to the discussion.
The high ISO noise handling of the D3s is still king among Nikon other than the D4/s.
The D7200 is capable of handling up to ISO 6400 in good light, no so much in darker situation. Once noise kicks in, it can be reduce by PP, but at a cost of reduced resolution and sharpness. If one uses a lower ISO and boost exposure by PP there is no additional noise introduced because it is done by numeric processing, but it must fall within bound (0 to 255 or clipping comes in) and the WB
...Show more

OK, that's interesting. You are saying it is better to use a lower ISO (within reason) and then pull the image than to user a higher ISO.

Carlos is saying the opposite.

Hmmmm! sound like an opportunity to do some testing!!!!

I think before I waste precious game time on figuring this out, I think I can use the floodlights in my back yard to mimic the light level seen on the field. Using a black, white and some colored objects, I should be able to play a bit and find an optimal ISO / PP combo.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:16 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D7200 Image Thread

Carlos Salcedo wrote:
Pushing in PP is never better than higher native ISO and then trying to fix the noise. If that was the case then native ISO would never have to be so high.

That is my thinking as well and certainly was the case for the D300 ... but that was old tech ... I would assume it's the same for the D7200 but I have not seen any data to corroborate. I'll try to generate some data this week as time allows.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:19 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D7200 Image Thread

Carlos is also right because he is using a D3s which can handle higher ISO better than your D7200 can. If one can use a higher ISO why bother with PP. So different stroke for different users.
On noise being introduced by PP using Exposure Compensation. If the noise is already there, it is there, if not, it will not create new ones. It just moved the cure left or right represented by its color. When it was dark we didn't notice it, but when we brighten it up, we notice it and thought noise was being created.
Yes, do your own test to come up with the best combination for your kind of lighting.
Good luck! I am sure you will like your new camera.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:23 PM
lorac
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D7200 Image Thread

Carlos Salcedo wrote:

The OP has been using a D300 for years, a poor high iso performer. Shooting nighttime football for years as well. With the markedly greater high iso capability of the D7200, he may be satisfied with slightly higher noise levels than someone used to a newer full frame camera, or the D3s being the exception for older full frame having remarkable high iso capability. These newer sensors are capable of recovering quite a bit of detail in the shadows with less noise unlike those of years ago. Underexposing would have been quite undesirable years ago in terms of noise, even if necessary to get the shot. Technology has modified this to a certain degree.

All of this is for Andre to discover what works best for him and not for you to lecture about, especially having not used a D7200. Encouraging him to shoot a D7200 at iso 6400, 12800 with this kind of lighting is not necessarily the best advice either. It will be interesting to see what Andre decides works best for his needs.

Sep 14, 2015 at 01:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.