FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · The diminished Proxy Falls

dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The diminished Proxy Falls

It was reported this week that Oregon leads the nation in severe drought conditions. This week I also visited Proxy Falls for my first time. I could tell that this waterfall is use to seeing a lot more water. Nevertheless, even in its late-summer drought diminished state - it’s a beauty to behold!
Dave

Sep 12, 2015 at 05:48 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The diminished Proxy Falls

Nice shots, the colors are perfect. I especially like the last with it's nice light and tight composition. Proxy is largely spring fed so is actually doing much better than many other waterfalls in the state. It's been a rough year for water throughout the Pacific Northwest. Hopefully the predicted strong El Nino will turn things around.

Heron

Sep 12, 2015 at 06:09 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The diminished Proxy Falls

As you say it's still a beautiful locations and a pleasure to see it running.

I think you got the timing right with the water and I'm pleased the exposure was spot on too.

Did!you need to hike in far forr this shot?

Thanks for sharing.

Sep 12, 2015 at 06:11 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The diminished Proxy Falls

OregonSun wrote:
Nice shots, the colors are perfect. I especially like the last with it's nice light and tight composition. Proxy is largely spring fed so is actually doing much better than many other waterfalls in the state. It's been a rough year for water throughout the Pacific Northwest. Hopefully the predicted strong El Nino will turn things around.

Heron

Thanks and I'm glad this falls should never go dry. But I could tell its a challenging year for the falls. The last shot is my fav as well. And I'm hoping El Nino Godzilla gives us a big snow pack for next year!
---------------------------------------------

wayne_eddy wrote:
As you say it's still a beautiful locations and a pleasure to see it running.

I think you got the timing right with the water and I'm pleased the exposure was spot on too.

Did!you need to hike in far forr this shot?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Wayne! The hike is very easy to the falls location - maybe a half a mile. However from there you are own your own to pick a side trail if you want to go to the bottom of the falls and then hike along the creek to a suitable shooting location. Not a big deal now but during the spring flow I guess it could be a challenge. I wore canyoneering boots and they were not needed - at least not now!

Dave

Sep 13, 2015 at 05:49 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The diminished Proxy Falls

I absolutely love this water fall -been once will like to go again - lovely shot nice light on the water

Sep 13, 2015 at 07:12 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The diminished Proxy Falls

Yes, Dave. I visited the Proxy Falls two weeks ago as well. The water flow was low but still beautiful.
Thanks for sharing the wonderful images you took.

Kee

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The diminished Proxy Falls

dbehrens wrote:
Thanks and I'm glad this falls should never go dry. But I could tell its a challenging year for the falls. The last shot is my fav as well. And I'm hoping El Nino Godzilla gives us a big snow pack for next year!

Thanks Wayne! The hike is very easy to the falls location - maybe a half a mile. However from there you are own your own to pick a side trail if you want to go to the bottom of the falls and then hike along the creek to a suitable shooting location. Not a big deal
...Show more

I have a pair of 5/10's. Never worn them for photography but now you have me thinking.

Sep 14, 2015 at 08:59 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The diminished Proxy Falls

I was there in June and we had a lot more water then. Either way its a beautiful place! Nice Photos too!

Sep 15, 2015 at 09:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The diminished Proxy Falls

That's some sweet light in the first two captures!
#1 esp nails the light and composition well.

David

Sep 15, 2015 at 09:53 AM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The diminished Proxy Falls

All beautiful shots Dave! I especially like the rays of sun hitting the falls. Nicely done!

Jon

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The diminished Proxy Falls

Hey Dave,

Very nice work here. The diminished flow has it's own beauty I think, and the golden light shining here is sure cool.

Jim

Sep 15, 2015 at 02:04 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The diminished Proxy Falls

I'm in the same boat - only been once but am already memorized with its possibilities. As a new Oregon resident to repeat a famous quote - I'll be back!

Thanks Kee - and I'm enjoying your pics as well.

I have a pair of 5/10's. Never worn them for photography but now you have me thinking.

I've just started wearing my 5/10's for waterfalls and rocky shorelines - IMO they are the way to go!

Brad Williams wrote:
I was there in June and we had a lot more water then. Either way its a beautiful place! Nice Photos too!

Thanks and I'm already thinking about going there as soon as the hi-way opens.

dgdg wrote:
That's some sweet light in the first two captures!
#1 esp nails the light and composition well.

David

Thanks - I shot a 3 stop bracket to keep things exposed and not overblown. In spite of no clouds - the late afternoon light was forgiving as well.

jbush wrote:
All beautiful shots Dave! I especially like the rays of sun hitting the falls. Nicely done!

Jon

Thanks Jon - for once sun rays were helping! I really wanted the rainbow as well but the angle was wrong.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dave,

Very nice work here. The diminished flow has it's own beauty I think, and the golden light shining here is sure cool.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I agree - many times I prefer the delicate cascades when water is low as opposed to the surging power of rain or melt swollen cataracts!

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The diminished Proxy Falls

great shots.

Sep 16, 2015 at 09:38 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.