New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

My copy of View NX2 must be out of date. Can't even do simple edits. Advice anyone?

As for IQ and performance, I would say I the D7200 is about two stops better than my D300. Not perfect pictures at ISO3200 but certainly perfectly fine at 8x10 or smaller.

The AF is supper fast on this thing ... I had to actually increase the delay/lock time to get good football shots, and that was under the lights. I get to use this think at low ISO under good light today!

OK, so, as soon as I can edit my files, I'll post some example for people to see.

Sep 12, 2015 at 09:50 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Download the latest from Nikon USA.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/imaging-software/viewnx-2.html

My D7100 can actually focus by moonlight--D7200 would only be better.

Kent in SD

Sep 12, 2015 at 09:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

or you could download NX-i which is the real actual latest.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/29.html

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Thanks guys,

Does NX-I have any editing capability?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

You won't like my answer, but the Adobe LRCC @ $10/month is your best bet... this really allows you to get the most out of your files. If you are anti-adobe, you might consider OnOne PhotoSuite. This can stand alone, includes a pretty fast photo-edit package as well as robust post process tools.

btw Andre,... how do you feel about the general operations when working fast? This was the hardest aspect for me when I made the switch from the D300/s to the D7200. I have become accustom to the camera's layout, but it took a good month of use before things felt intuitive.

bruce

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Oh dear, even the latest version of View NX2 does not allow basic edits ... looks like NX-I is next.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

OwlsEyes wrote:
You won't like my answer, but the Adobe LRCC @ $10/month is your best bet... this really allows you to get the most out of your files. If you are anti-adobe, you might consider OnOne PhotoSuite. This can stand alone, includes a pretty fast photo-edit package as well as robust post process tools.

btw Andre,... how do you feel about the general operations when working fast? This was the hardest aspect for me when I made the switch from the D300/s to the D7200. I have become accustom to the camera's layout, but it took a good month of use before
...Show more

Hi Bruce,

No, I'm not an Adobe fan ... just not an intuitive program and my PP skills are terrible ... maybe I should fix that. I'll check yout OnOne PhotoSuite. Thanks for the tip.

As for the feel of the D7200, not too bad with the grip. My biggest issue was getting my thumb on the AF-L button ... the size of the camera is just enough different that I had to search around with my thumb ... missed a few shots due to that, but that will fix itself soon enough.

Over-all, I like the new camera. It's an interesting cross between my old D70s and the D300 in terms of control layout, so not bad. The D300 is ultimately better in that area, but the D7200 out-performs it in both AF and IQ.

Oh, and I did hit the butter limit twice. Once just testing it in an action sequence which turned out to go the wrong way, so no keepers (compositionally) and the other was just a long play that was all over the place. This buffer will work just fine for me. The D7100 would have been a non-starter.

Cheers,
Andre

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

sjms wrote:
or you could download NX-i which is the real actual latest.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/29.html

This ended up installing Nikon Picture Control, which is not opening my D7200 files either.

Any advice?

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

yes it installs view nx-i, nikon picture control 2, and Nikon messege center 2.

in the box, what software was included?

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

sjms wrote:
yes it installs view nx-i, nikon picture control 2, and Nikon messege center 2.

in the box, what software was included?

Nothing in the box, but I'm at the Nikon Download Center downloading all the recommended software for the D7200. It's taking a little bit but I should be in good shape in an hour or so.

I think it's time to upgrade the computer as well.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

well, it seems they haven't updated their own software. sorry about that.

the adobe raw image convertor from v9 and up supports the D7200 raw output. they are up to v9.1.1 as of now it. it is additive

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

You're on the upgrade path now...

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

ckcarr wrote:
You're on the upgrade path now...

Yep.

Not too bad though, I built this computer myself in 2006 I think, so 9 years out of a desktop is pretty darn good. It's an old Core2Duo with 8GB of ram.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Hi Andre -

I know you don't like Adobe, but I tell ya, for the few D7200 files I had, I really liked the results from LR far better than Nikon's software (Capture NX -D).

Free trial...

https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom?promoid=KSKAY

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:55 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Andre Labonte wrote:

Hi Bruce,

No, I'm not an Adobe fan ... just not an intuitive program and my PP skills are terrible ... maybe I should fix that. I'll check yout OnOne PhotoSuite. Thanks for the tip.

As for the feel of the D7200, not too bad with the grip. My biggest issue was getting my thumb on the AF-L button ... the size of the camera is just enough different that I had to search around with my thumb ... missed a few shots due to that, but that will fix itself soon enough.

Over-all, I like the new camera. It's an interesting
...Show more

Andre,
While we shoot different genres (I'm a wildlife/nature guy), it seems that we have encountered similar issues. The D7200 is a much better body with the grip than without, but it does not have that secure and solid feel of the D300/D700/D800 design. If Nikon were to have plunked the same sensor and AF module in the D300 body, I would be fine for years. I'm willing to work with the slower fps, but would gladly pay $500 more for the build that comes with a pro-designed body.

The buffer has been adequate for me as well. I've hit the limit on three occasions now, and have used the body for about 3 months shooting a variety of subjects at home and abroad. Other than the consumer/pro-sumer design, I've got only a few quibbles that have easy work-arounds.

I look forward to seeing some shots as you become increasingly comfortable with the camera.
As for OnOne... check out this link. I think you'll get an idea about how the editor works:

this shows you the speed. When you purchase the program you get their raw editor, the ability to use layers and has a really nice effects package. I use the program in conduction with LR and PS... I like it.

cheers
bruce

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Capture NX-D (not NX-i) has been supporting D7200 since version 1.2 came out. Latest version is 1.2.1 and it does edits, quite a bit better than Nikon View NX 2. It's not the most stable piece of software but if you prefer software that understands Nikon settings in-camera, it is your best bet...and unlike View NX, it doesn't embed the edits in the NEF file.

It's here: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/24.html

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Steve Perry wrote:
Hi Andre -

I know you don't like Adobe, but I tell ya, for the few D7200 files I had, I really liked the results from LR far better than Nikon's software (Capture NX -D).

Free trial...

https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom?promoid=KSKAY

and i prefer DxO myself. LR lays dormant on my machine while i jump from DxO to PScc

Sep 12, 2015 at 01:57 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

sjms wrote:
and i prefer DxO myself. LR lays dormant on my machine while i jump from DxO to PScc

That's how I roll, except my Photoshop is standalone.

Sep 12, 2015 at 02:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Ok, NX-D does the trick! I like it. It's basically a more capable version of View NX2.

However, I may have to try LR ... enough people are recommending Adobe that it would be silly to ignore ... and Steve was nice enough to let me know about a fee trial!

So, I just got back from shooting a soccer game. I've learned two new things

1 -- The WB of the back LCD is off compared to the senor ... when things look right in the LCD, the images have a slight pink tint ... easy to fix with the WB adjustment.

2 -- Without realizing it, despite picking 21pt, I accidently put the thing into single point for the AF. That explains why I had to use AF-L so much last night. For the soccer game, I corrected my error and life became easer.

Processing some pictures now ... I'll upload and post some either later today or tomorrow ... crazy day today with 6 kids running around to all sorts of activities.

Sep 12, 2015 at 02:16 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Oh Crap - Can't Edit D7200 Files

Do the 30-day trial of LR, then buy LR 6 CC. It's awesome, and as a subscription, always stays up to date. Plus, you get full PS CC included!

You've got a better camera. Now get better software.

(I was originally reluctant too, and was using NX2 and Canon's DPP. Now I can process just about any camera files -- including M4/3 camera, etc. LR just covers all the bases and the files look really great. Lots of online videos for using it.)

Edited on Sep 12, 2015 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2015 at 02:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.