New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · DIY Skimmer question

Colin F
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DIY Skimmer question

I just bought a 10” aluminum frying pan from a thrift shop for my DIY Skimmer. (I think I might even leave the nice plastic handle on it for pushing it forward on the ground).

Anyway, I’m now wondering about mounting methods. If I simply use a 3/8” SS countersunk-head bolt through the pan straight into the lens-handle (or with a slight shim/spacer), the lens hood is a deadly 1” or so off the ground – sweet! But if I mount a ball-head or gimbal-head onto the pan, then the hood is about 5" - 6"” off the ground. Should I go for as low as possible, or would there be no real-world difference in the photo between the 1” and 5” - 6" height?

I can see the benefit of having something on the pan to quickly clip in to, as opposed to screwing the two together on-sight.

- shrug -

*I fully intend on using an angle finder with this.

Edited on Sep 11, 2015 at 06:53 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2015 at 06:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DIY Skimmer question

You could mount an Arca-Swiss quick release clamp on the pan, using a bolt through the bottom to secure the clamp (instead of securing the lens foot). You wouldn't have any motions, but it would be really low and easy to attach and remove. You'd also need an A-S plate for the lens foot. You might need a spacer to make it work with a knob/screw clamp, but a lever clamp would probably work flush with the bottom of the pan.

Sep 11, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DIY Skimmer question

jcolwell wrote:
You could mount an Arca-Swiss quick release clamp on the pan, using a bolt through the bottom to secure the clamp (instead of securing the lens foot). You wouldn't have any motions, but it would be really low and easy to attach and remove. You'd also need an A-S plate for the lens foot. You might need a spacer to make it work with a knob/screw clamp, but a lever clamp would probably work flush with the bottom of the pan.

Yes, given that an AS plate lives on the lens foot for use with a gimbal, that would be nice - thanks.

Sep 11, 2015 at 06:55 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DIY Skimmer question

Jim's idea is a good one, and you could even take it a step further — RRS makes dovetail plates (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-55-Round-Dovetail-Plate.html) that you can affix to the bottom of your ball head or gimbal. This will allow you to mount or remove the head using the quick release clamp as opposed to (un)screwing it. This would provide a quick way to go from the lowest profile mount (lens foot directly clamped) to a higher but more versatile mount (gimbal mounted).

Sep 11, 2015 at 07:20 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DIY Skimmer question

Geesh, it's almost like someone has been down this road before me!

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2015 at 07:50 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DIY Skimmer question

For one moment I thought I was on a reef forum instead of photography forum. Hahaha..

Sep 11, 2015 at 08:32 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DIY Skimmer question

mitesh wrote:
You could even take it a step further — RRS makes dovetail plates (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-55-Round-Dovetail-Plate.html) that you can affix to the bottom of your ball head or gimbal. This will allow you to mount or remove the head using the quick release clamp as opposed to (un)screwing it. This would provide a quick way to go from the lowest profile mount (lens foot directly clamped) to a higher but more versatile mount (gimbal mounted).

Actually, now that i think about it, using a ball or gimbal head on the skimmer would put me only a little lower than what I can achieve with my Oben tripod; the lower section of the center post is removable, allowing the legs to splay out). Still that little RRS piece might be a good little piece to have for all eventualities.

Thanks again.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:32 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DIY Skimmer question

I went to three camera shops today and none had a AS receptacle, so internet it is. As I'm not intimate with all of the apparent AS options that I see when I search ebay, can someone inform me of the "type" I need? Here's the male piece on my lens. This came with my cheapo Opteka GH1 gimbal:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/Paddywacked/Fred%20Miranda/P1060524_zps9znvq3qk.jpg

Sep 12, 2015 at 07:34 PM
robn70
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DIY Skimmer question

sumtiw wrote:
For one moment I thought I was on a reef forum instead of photography forum. Hahaha..

I thought the same thing and had to re-read the post twice. lol

Sep 13, 2015 at 07:17 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DIY Skimmer question

Colin F wrote:
Actually, now that i think about it, using a ball or gimbal head on the skimmer would put me only a little lower than what I can achieve with my Oben tripod; the lower section of the center post is removable, allowing the legs to splay out). Still that little RRS piece might be a good little piece to have for all eventualities.

Thanks again.

I think that one of the advantages to a skimmer, as opposed to a tripod with spread legs, it how easily it is to move on the ground. If you are lying down and trying to move, a frying pan bottom will slide on the ground much easier than picking up and setting down legs.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DIY Skimmer question

Colin F wrote:
... Here's the male piece on my lens. This came with my cheapo Opteka GH1 gimbal...

I prefer to use a dedicated A-S replacement foot or custom plate for my bigger lenses.

© jcolwell 2015

EF 500/4L IS with RRS replacement foot

EF 300/2.8L IS with 4th Generation Design custom plate

EF 300/2.8L IS with 4th Generation Design custom plate

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DIY Skimmer question

Here's how my 500mm/4 VR(no longer with me) with D800 looked like. I used screw knob quick release clamp made by Kirk. I find it isn't very easy to on & off. RRS lever release would make it a bit easier. I agree with Jim, get a dedicated lens plate or RRS replacement foot for your expensive lens.

It's the real Skimmer Ground-Pod, bought used from this B&S board, but the SkimmerSack is homemade.

Jim, your rig looks great, what's the small body behind the lens adapter? It looks like a P&S with 12x optical zoom.

500mm/4 VR mounted on Skimmer Ground Pod with Homemade Bean bag

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DIY Skimmer question

Steve Park wrote:
Jim, your rig looks great, what's the small body behind the lens adapter? It looks like a P&S with 12x optical zoom.

Steve, it's a Fujifilm X-E2. I normally use a 1DX or 1DIV with the 500/4L IS. This was a fooling around photo, but it's the only one I could find that shows the RRS foot.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DIY Skimmer question

Thanks for the replies, but I'm a little confused by the last few suggestions. Why would it be better to buy a "dedicated" AS pairing, rather than simply buy a receptacle that will work with my existing one, and affix that to the pan? That way I wouldn't have to constantly swap the one for the foot over. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the existing one (on the foot) for the skimmer and my gimbal?

Sep 13, 2015 at 02:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DIY Skimmer question

The replacement foot has an A-S groove in it, so you use it in any A-S clamp.

Sep 13, 2015 at 02:18 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DIY Skimmer question

RRS replacement foot is built better, replaces factory foot thus secure and lighter weight, consistent groove.

Sep 13, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DIY Skimmer question

Hmm, ok, I can see how the replacement foot is slightly superior than a bolt-on piece, but it doesn't come with a receptacle, leaving me in the same position of needing one for the skimmer.

Also, by the time I add the conversion rate to Canadian pesos, plus tax, duties & shipping, the RRS foot is going to be around $180.00 - ouch. I see that Jobu makes one too, but roughly the same price point.

So back to my recent question, is there a particular "type" of receptacle I need to look for for my existing piece? Just an inexpensive one on ebay will be fine.

Sep 13, 2015 at 03:05 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DIY Skimmer question

Colin,

It's difficult to give a fool-proof answer to your question because different manufacturers make A-S plates and clamps, and there are a few different standards used. Therefore, not all clamps, or "receptacles", will perfectly fit all plates. The screw-type clamps are generally a bit more forgiving of slight variations in plate size, and some clamps also are adjustable.

I think Jim and Steve are suggesting going with a plate/clamp
pairing from the same, reputable manufacturer in order to assure a secure fit and reliable clamping. For a less expensive alternative to RRS, Kirk, Wimberley, etc., try Sunwayfoto. I have a lever clamp and a camera base plate made by them and both have been working just fine.

Sep 13, 2015 at 03:18 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DIY Skimmer question

mitesh wrote:
It's difficult to give a fool-proof answer to your question because different manufacturers make A-S plates and clamps, and there are a few different standards used. Therefore, not all clamps, or "receptacles", will perfectly fit all plates. The screw-type clamps are generally a bit more forgiving of slight variations in plate size, and some clamps also are adjustable.

OK, thanks, that's what I was wondering about, and afraid of.

I think Jim and Steve are suggesting going with a plate/clamp pairing from the same, reputable manufacturer in order to assure a secure fit and reliable clamping.

Yes, but as you've outlined above, the male part of the new pair might not work with my gimbal head, so then I'd have to be swapping back & forth. It's too bad they couldn't have standardized the AS system, and it's also too bad Canon didn't incorporate the grooves into the stock foot.

Sep 13, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DIY Skimmer question

Your Opteka GH-1 gimbal head is supposed be AS compatible, your lens plate(male part) should fit fine with any RRS/Kirk/Sunway QR clamp. Any plate/replacement foot that claims to be AS compatible should work with your Opteka gimbal.

There's always someone selling good used QR clamp or replacement foot, keep your eyes open if you don't mind going that route.

Sep 13, 2015 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.