New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

doubleohbro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

Just curious what the community thinks about my photo.

Cheers!
Matt

Sep 11, 2015 at 03:53 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

Matt,

Pardon the English, but I think it's f'ing spectacular!!!

This is right in my wheelhouse and I love it.

I could use a little more room around this killer subject, but if it's not there then no worries.

Jeff

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:05 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

beavens wrote:
Matt,

Pardon the English, but I think it's f'ing spectacular!!!

This is right in my wheelhouse and I love it.

I could use a little more room around this killer subject, but if it's not there then no worries.

Jeff

+1 it portrays the gloom and despair of the event.

Ted

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

If this is a clone job to get it under water, a great job it was. If not, there is a story I want to hear.

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:27 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

Great photo I had to look up the Roller Coaster and Sandy.

Walt

Sep 11, 2015 at 05:10 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

It's sad. It's beautiful
The lighting on the water is a bit dramatic/processed but I like it.
Seaside Park?

Scott

Sep 11, 2015 at 06:37 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

Looks like the after effects of Hurricane Sandy, Seaside Heights/Park, NJ. If so, it's the roller coaster that was sitting on a pier that collapsed. It sat like this in the water for some time after the storm Some jerseyites tried to lobby for the coaster to remain as a permanent memorial to the storm which wreaked terrible damage on the town. But the Seaside Heights City elders saw it as an eyesore and a reminder of the terrible event, so it was ultimately disassembled and removed.

Sep 11, 2015 at 07:54 PM
doubleohbro
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

+1 This is 100% correct. This was taken in March of 2013, about 5 months after the storm.

I used a neutral density filter. Fortunately, I was able to get access to the shorefront which was taped off by the Police, though unfortunately, it was mid-day. The ND filter let me shoot a bit longer exposure as I played with the effect the breaking waves would have when in motion.

I took about 10-15 other photos playing with exposure, this is the one I personally felt conveyed my intention best, but I have some others.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I wanted to get an honest opinion from my peers.

Sep 11, 2015 at 09:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

A little disgression: Your photo sends chills up my spine as I know many of the lives affected by the recent events. My day job involves me in the amusement industry, and I have many friends in Seaside that I've known for years and have a great deal of respect for. Hurricane Sandy was the first of recent tragedies that struck Seaside, followed sometime later by a devastating fire that destroyed a multi block area of the main boardwalk. The pier that the roller coaster sat on has still not been rebuilt, and there is no time table yet for that. Seaside has recovered and continues to be a popular destination, especially during the summer.
When I've made Spring business trips to Seaside the past couple of years, the T-Shirt and gift shops featured apparel and souveniers with the slogan "Jersey Strong", a spirit that has infused this town as well as other Jersey shore towns affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Seaside Heights is a wonderful place to visit and take photos.

Steve

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jetstar Roller Coaster

This is a pretty amazing photo. I'd be interested to see what it looks like with a shorter exposure, so the waves have less motion. But, I'm not sure it'd be better than things are now.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.